E-toll prices hikes kick in in March

The Light Green Hornet

Well done Minister Fikile!!!

Many people give this guy flak for doing nothing. Here is just another example of Fikile burning the midnight oil to get things done!!!
Yup, I just wish he would stop doing press interviews at road blocks. He looks like a stripper in a borrowed costume.

krycor

Honorary Master
I never even thought of that before.
Ive always just assumed a toll gate is a toll gate
But now I see the article is referring to e-tolls
thanx

All tolls undergo periodic toll price increases usually CPI related unless there is unexpected major work. eToll is a bad differentiation as almost all tolls under Sanral is under the process of being upgraded to include electronic gates.

I’ve driven from Pta to Cpt via coast, Cpt to Dbn etc and they either have it or in process of rolling out.. so this as a distinguisher will be a silly. Rather there is the GFIP/Open road tolling which is only used in Gauteng and under much debate vs traditional gated.

Right now there is no cost differentiation between electronic toll and physical but I can foresee this changing due to the labour cost involved and the electronic system being more efficient in that manner.

Wrt GFIP I think they should just slap on toll gates and be done with it. Charge the buggers who want to manually pay for it a premium as labour & cash handling(even card per tran) is likely as that transaction has a cost associated which is different to pure road usage and electronic transaction handling.

krycor

Honorary Master
Wrt to Cpt.. it’s purely to maintain house pricing to be brutally frank. If they upgraded the highways (N1 & N2) along with high speed rail, the majority of people would decentralize to northern suburbs and beyond.

To think there is some other reason is a pipe dream. If you don’t believe me.. go investigate Gautrain impact on house pricing, decentralization etc. hell look overseas for studies done too. Cpt house prices will stagnate and devalue fast if they implemented a solution which negated house pricing regime which operates on a scarcity model.

This why I laugh my arse off at people who support the no toll thing in WC.. it’s costing the middle class a lot for “property” valuations which is stupid as if you live in the house it’s not really an investment. That’s my 2c on the situation, take it or leave it.

Lastly property pricing has also maintained the inequality introduced under apartheid. You’d have to believe in Father Christmas not to see this obvious fact and sometimes I do wonder how much lobbying is going on in Cpt to maintain the status quo. But that’s me.. rational thinking in places where people refuse to do so because they have a lot to lose.

Rabobi

Honorary Master
The sad part is that it will lead to increases in food prices again

The fact that most people arent paying isnt the issue here. Freight and delivery companies have to pay, and guess who carries that increase

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
All tolls undergo periodic toll price increases usually CPI related unless there is unexpected major work. eToll is a bad differentiation as almost all tolls under Sanral is under the process of being upgraded to include electronic gates.

I’ve driven from Pta to Cpt via coast, Cpt to Dbn etc and they either have it or in process of rolling out.. so this as a distinguisher will be a silly. Rather there is the GFIP/Open road tolling which is only used in Gauteng and under much debate vs traditional gated.

Right now there is no cost differentiation between electronic toll and physical but I can foresee this changing due to the labour cost involved and the electronic system being more efficient in that manner.

Wrt GFIP I think they should just slap on toll gates and be done with it. Charge the buggers who want to manually pay for it a premium as labour & cash handling(even card per tran) is likely as that transaction has a cost associated which is different to pure road usage and electronic transaction handling.

Wrt to Cpt.. it’s purely to maintain house pricing to be brutally frank. If they upgraded the highways (N1 & N2) along with high speed rail, the majority of people would decentralize to northern suburbs and beyond.

To think there is some other reason is a pipe dream. If you don’t believe me.. go investigate Gautrain impact on house pricing, decentralization etc. hell look overseas for studies done too. Cpt house prices will stagnate and devalue fast if they implemented a solution which negated house pricing regime which operates on a scarcity model.

This why I laugh my arse off at people who support the no toll thing in WC.. it’s costing the middle class a lot for “property” valuations which is stupid as if you live in the house it’s not really an investment. That’s my 2c on the situation, take it or leave it.

Lastly property pricing has also maintained the inequality introduced under apartheid. You’d have to believe in Father Christmas not to see this obvious fact and sometimes I do wonder how much lobbying is going on in Cpt to maintain the status quo. But that’s me.. rational thinking in places where people refuse to do so because they have a lot to lose.

That's super awesome. Very well scripted. I couldn't help myself reading all of that picturing you on the side of the road talking into a microphone been interviewed :thumbsup: I'm not disagreeing with anything you said, it's just the way you said everything is very posh :)

krycor

Honorary Master
The sad part is that it will lead to increases in food prices again

The fact that most people arent paying isnt the issue here. Freight and delivery companies have to pay, and guess who carries that increase

Yes and no. Cyclical nature so technically if it’s CPI or less it’s maintaining cost.. not increasing per say in real terms.

Basically you screw over the investor/retirement investor (yourself) without a minimum of CPI in addition to future infrastructure projects becoming unfeasible.

The US is a good example of what happens when you don’t improve infrastructure and kinda rest of the things just continuing on forever because it was done great years ago.. well populations grow, use cases changes and so too does investment need to happen.

Wrt food prices.. there are other reasons food prices are going up(above inflation).. partially global reasons(check.. demand has gone up significantly everywhere as people have changed behviour.. in SA slight issue other places like US this is a major issue as food is literally grown and prepared differently for market, grocers and restaurants) & global climate.

cavedog

Honorary Master
I don't pay. If they block my license then I will deal with that when we get there.

Reactions: XTM

The Light Green Hornet

That's super awesome. Very well scripted. I couldn't help myself reading all of that picturing you on the side of the road talking into a microphone been interviewed :thumbsup: I'm not disagreeing with anything you said, it's just the way you said everything is very posh :)
Yup, can just imagine a JMPD uniform or an expensive suit.

Swa

Honorary Master

The issue has never been the tolling but that they tolled an existing road and without having an alternative in place. Then there's also the corrupt process.

Yes and no. Cyclical nature so technically if it’s CPI or less it’s maintaining cost.. not increasing per say in real terms.

Basically you screw over the investor/retirement investor (yourself) without a minimum of CPI in addition to future infrastructure projects becoming unfeasible.

The US is a good example of what happens when you don’t improve infrastructure and kinda rest of the things just continuing on forever because it was done great years ago.. well populations grow, use cases changes and so too does investment need to happen.

Wrt food prices.. there are other reasons food prices are going up(above inflation).. partially global reasons(check.. demand has gone up significantly everywhere as people have changed behviour.. in SA slight issue other places like US this is a major issue as food is literally grown and prepared differently for market, grocers and restaurants) & global climate.
Yeah no. CPI has nothing to do with tolls. So if you're going to increase it to chase CPI you're simply feeding it more. If you then increase toll prices to match it further you're simply increasing the prices of goods more. It becomes circular where the one then feeds the other.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Thought I'd leave this here:
eTollSnipFinal.JPG
Yes, that shows I've got a whopping R61.59 in my SANRAL account ... and my last trip past a gantry or two cost me a hefty R2.20.

See guys? It's not THAT scary. Y'all carry on like the interface is covered with the blood of small babies :p

Lupus

Honorary Master
View attachment 1024120
Yes, that shows I've got a whopping R61.59 in my SANRAL account ... and my last trip past a gantry or two cost me a hefty R2.20.

See guys? It's not THAT scary. Y'all carry on like the interface is covered with the blood of small babies :p
It is covered in corruption and basically tried to rip people off.

rvZA

Expert Member
View attachment 1024120

Nice... just keep on paying all those increases too. they need to make some money off paying customers. Hang on tight when that same gantry becomes R25 in the near future.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Nice... just keep on paying all those increases too. they need to make some money off paying customers. Hang on tight when that same gantry becomes R25 in the near future.
That's hilarious. You're basing this on factual inflation? I've been paying e-tolls since they launched in ... when was it ... almost a decade ago? I always live close to work so never rely on highways for the daily commute, and now that I'm working from home I just never get onto them unless I have to visit Johannesburg. The most I've ever seen was R200/month usage (which was the cap at the time as I recall), and these days I pay like R10/month (so my R62 will cover me until the middle of the year). But no please, do keep using wild inflation estimates to justify running up your own bill.

Herr der Verboten

Executive Member
That's hilarious. You're basing this on factual inflation? I've been paying e-tolls since they launched in ... when was it ... almost a decade ago? I always live close to work so never rely on highways for the daily commute, and now that I'm working from home I just never get onto them unless I have to visit Johannesburg. The most I've ever seen was R200/month usage (which was the cap at the time as I recall), and these days I pay like R10/month (so my R62 will cover me until the middle of the year). But no please, do keep using wild inflation estimates to justify running up your own bill.
Traitor of south africa