E-toll prices hikes kick in in March

rvZA

Expert Member
That's hilarious. You're basing this on factual inflation? I've been paying e-tolls since they launched in ... when was it ... almost a decade ago? I always live close to work so never rely on highways for the daily commute, and now that I'm working from home I just never get onto them unless I have to visit Johannesburg. The most I've ever seen was R200/month usage (which was the cap at the time as I recall), and these days I pay like R10/month (so my R62 will cover me until the middle of the year). But no please, do keep using wild inflation estimates to justify running up your own bill.

Nevermind me. Just keep on paying. Seems as long as your money is flowing to their pockets I am still okay. Oh, excuse my rudeness, but I should have said this before.... thank you!

Swa

Honorary Master
Maybe you are, if you're advocating theft of public resources by driving on a signposted toll road and not paying the toll. Bet you never even considered that, did you?
What about all the theft by Zupta and co? Bet you never even considered that, did you?

grok

Honorary Master
That's hilarious. You're basing this on factual inflation? I've been paying e-tolls since they launched in ... when was it ... almost a decade ago? I always live close to work so never rely on highways for the daily commute, and now that I'm working from home I just never get onto them unless I have to visit Johannesburg. The most I've ever seen was R200/month usage (which was the cap at the time as I recall), and these days I pay like R10/month (so my R62 will cover me until the middle of the year). But no please, do keep using wild inflation estimates to justify running up your own bill.

Good for you, thanks to Covid you are supporting corruption a bit less these days..

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
What about all the theft by Zupta and co? Bet you never even considered that, did you?
Zuma is constrained to tea parties at Nkandla and the Guptas are ... nobody knows. But your viewpoint still seems to be five years old, so maybe it's not surprising.

• Haha
Reactions: Swa

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Enter the apologist
Oh no, I'm not apologising for jack. I deliberately posted that image to stir up the hornets, and succeeded beautifully. The sad thing is that some of you have successfully convinced otherwise law-abiding citizens to break the law as well ... and now they cannot afford to pay off the debt that they've run up. And that's on each and every one of you. You're not heroes. You're just common criminals, with common logic and common insults. I'll stick with my princely balance of R62 in the positive, thanks ;)

Swa

Honorary Master
Oh no, I'm not apologising for jack. I deliberately posted that image to stir up the hornets, and succeeded beautifully. The sad thing is that some of you have successfully convinced otherwise law-abiding citizens to break the law as well ... and now they cannot afford to pay off the debt that they've run up. And that's on each and every one of you. You're not heroes. You're just common criminals, with common logic and common insults. I'll stick with my princely balance of R62 in the positive, thanks ;)
Yeah great logic of you there in defending a corrupt government.

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
Shame,stirring hornets,there's some daddy issues there it seems. Unhealthy attention-seeking behaviour

Try harder next time,you barely made it past mild irritance - definitely not the world war you make it out to be

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Wrt to Cpt.. it’s purely to maintain house pricing to be brutally frank. If they upgraded the highways (N1 & N2) along with high speed rail, the majority of people would decentralize to northern suburbs and beyond.

What utter BS. I live in Brackenfell and the building of houses and apartments here is out of control. When is the last time you have been out here and looked at the development that is going on here in the Southern part of Brackenfell and either side of Bottelary road?

A whole new suburb was built with thousands of high end houses when Curro built a primary school here about 4 years ago.

With this massive business parks were built and filled nearly immediately by business fleeing Epping and M'Gardens.

All this has caused major traffic issues already.

Lastly property pricing has also maintained the inequality introduced under apartheid. You’d have to believe in Father Christmas not to see this obvious fact and sometimes I do wonder how much lobbying is going on in Cpt to maintain the status quo. But that’s me.. rational thinking in places where people refuse to do so because they have a lot to lose.

You’d have to believe in Father Christmas to believe that ...what kak.

Herr der Verboten

Executive Member
Here's your +5%

supersunbird

Honorary Master

They system is unfair (just as the Zambezi and Stormvoël ones still are), taking existing routes, after spacial development has already occurred due to the free routes, and tolling them.

Then there is the quality of the construction, take a drive on the R21 to ORT and see how badly the road surface is degrading.

Then there is the whole fact that they only charge you if you pass under a gantry, which is also totally unfair. I can drive from Rigel to Lynnwood on the N1 without incurring a toll, I can drive on from N14 Brakfontein I/C to Samrand without incurring a toll, all that on this supposed toll road, wholly unfair-as-user-does-not-pay, only user-who-passes-under-gantry pays.

They should rather have built tolled new routes or fast new tolled lanes in addition to existing ones.

Lupus

Honorary Master
They system is unfair (just as the Zambezi and Stormvoël ones still are), taking existing routes, after spacial development has already occurred due to the free routes, and tolling them.

Then there is the quality of the construction, take a drive on the R21 to ORT and see how badly the road surface is degrading.

Then there is the whole fact that they only charge you if you pass under a gantry, which is also totally unfair. I can drive from Rigel to Lynnwood on the N1 without incurring a toll, I can drive on from N14 Brakfontein I/C to Samrand without incurring a toll, all that on this supposed toll road, wholly unfair-as-user-does-not-pay, only user-who-passes-under-gantry pays.

They should rather have built tolled new routes or fast new tolled lanes in addition to existing ones.
Also user doesn't pay, owner of vehicle pays.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member

Maybe if everyone paid their e-tolls, the planned maintenance of the road surfaces could take place. Isn't that how tollroads work? Constant maintenance at a cost?

• Haha
Reactions: Swa

system32

Expert Member
5% is almost double CPI

Hands up who in ZA getting 5% increase in ZA vs 3.3% CPI?

Last edited:

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Maybe if they used the fuel levy for what it was intended we wouldn't need toll roads?
Dude, we live in a welfare state. Did you miss the part where people were desperate for their R350/month grants for COVID-19? Are you a qualified accountant that you get to look at all the levies on the fuel bill, and where each is spent, and you have determined to what extent each is "wasted" or spent as required? I think the basic principle is that the highways were always going to be paid for by a tax, and the government decided that only people who used the highways should pay for it (with an elaborate tolling system) rather than tacking on a new national fuel levy to cover it (or even just diverting funds from the existing levies). I've said this before: the one time the government tries to actually put taxation into our hands like adults, we throw all our toys. This is exactly why SARS doesn't leave PAYE tax to voluntary payments from employees, but takes it directly from employers. If South Africans get a whiff of a chance to absolve themselves of a responsibility, they'll grab it.

Sarg3_ZN

Expert Member
Dude, we live in a welfare state. Did you miss the part where people were desperate for their R350/month grants for COVID-19? Are you a qualified accountant that you get to look at all the levies on the fuel bill, and where each is spent, and you have determined to what extent each is "wasted" or spent as required? I think the basic principle is that the highways were always going to be paid for by a tax, and the government decided that only people who used the highways should pay for it (with an elaborate tolling system) rather than tacking on a new national fuel levy to cover it (or even just diverting funds from the existing levies). I've said this before: the one time the government tries to actually put taxation into our hands like adults, we throw all our toys. This is exactly why SARS doesn't leave PAYE tax to voluntary payments from employees, but takes it directly from employers. If South Africans get a whiff of a chance to absolve themselves of a responsibility, they'll grab it.

People that use the highways should pay? Does that mean there are no taxi's on those highways?