E-toll system mistakes bike-carrying cars for trucks

garp

Executive Member
I suspect they don't have access to eNatis.

You would think a R16bn system would at least get you interfaced with the country's national vehicle register?

Of course, eNatis was also such a questionable effort it probably has no easy way to interface or the system just couldn't handle it (I recall it came out that eNatis was initially running on a single underpowered SQL server).

It's ironic that there was outrage over the R200m expense of eNatis which pales into insignificance next to the R16bn expense of the Gauteng E-Toll system. I'd love a bird's eye view of the architecture of the e-toll system - it seems decidedly flaky based on the types of problems coming out of it.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
You would think a R16bn system would at least get you interfaced with the country's national vehicle register?

Of course, eNatis was also such a questionable effort it probably has no easy way to interface or the system just couldn't handle it (I recall it came out that eNatis was initially running on a single underpowered SQL server).

It's ironic that there was outrage over the R200m expense of eNatis which pales into insignificance next to the R16bn expense of the Gauteng E-Toll system. I'd love a bird's eye view of the architecture of the e-toll system - it seems decidedly flaky based on the types of problems coming out of it.

Like I said before - job went to the highest backhander. Don't expect it to be done right.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Also, Vusi speaking with forked tongue again:

“This means that when a vehicle travels beneath a toll gantry, the equipment on the gantry measures the vehicle and then compares it with the vehicle registration details,” said Mona.

If the registered class details correspond with the measurements, the transaction gets billed against the vehicle class. However, Mona said that if there is a discrepancy between the read-in-the-lane and the e-toll registration, manual verification takes place.

“It is important to note that our system uses scanning to classify vehicles automatically, but once this is queried, a manual verification and classification takes place,” said Mona.

****ing liar.

supersunbird

Honorary Master

They don't even have to be live on the enatis system (e-toll related queries might slow it down too much), they can just have a non realtime database that is updated every day at some god forsaken hour.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Damnit, get out with your logic here, bladdy agent! :p

At least you didn't call me House... :D

But you post does raise the question with me, its manual verification of non e-tag VLN accounts done once and then sticks, or does it needs to take place in each instance?

DJ...

Banned
So if you have a trailer with your SANRAL tagged motorbikes on it, you get charged for the car and the bikes?

Sounds like the mere presence of a towbar reclassifies your vehicle. Otherwise why would their systems monitor this? And why would Vusi mention it?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Sounds like the mere presence of a towbar reclassifies your vehicle. Otherwise why would their systems monitor this? And why would Vusi mention it?

I think he's talking about the tow bar of the trailer itself - not your car's towbar - and detection thereof turns off billing of the trailer...?

DJ...

Banned
I think he's talking about the tow bar of the trailer itself - not your car's towbar - and detection thereof turns off billing of the trailer...?

I have nfi. They're typically clear as mud about everything...

j4ck455

Executive Member
“Our request is that the person who has a transaction to dispute, should call into the Call Centre 0800 726 75, or visit any of our Customer Service Centres,” Mona said.

No Woosy Moaner, when will you learn that SCAMRAL must first get its facts straight before billing road users?

Why should road users have to spend their entire lives running around proving this and that to SCAMRAL?

This is the sort of thing that people should fight in court since that is the only way that SCAMRAL will learn that it needs to get its facts straight or risk being bankrupted even further with legal fees.

Dennisg

Why should road users have to spend their entire lives running around proving this and that to SCAMRAL?
The late House would have been able to provide you with the legal reasons why this is your responsibility and not Sanral's.

Last edited:

supersunbird

Honorary Master
The late House would have been able to provide you with the legal reasons why this is your responsibility and not Sanral's.

How do you feel about SANRAL, e-tags and e-tolls Dennisg?

For an e-tag user its not their responsibility, so its just one way they are trying to force people to get e-tags and they can take their dick tag and cram it up their ass...