• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • Win an Amazon Echo Dot in this two-day giveaway - Enter Here

E-tolls: A sorry tale four years later

patrick123

Expert Member
In the euphoria of the World Cup in 2010, everybody thought the great new highways were part of the building programme for the tournament, just like the stadiums.

Nobody asked then who would pay for these wonderful new freeways. But when the realisation sank in that the Gauteng Freeway Improvement Project (GFIP) would be financed by e-tolls, millions of motorists refused to pay, which has almost brought the SA National Roads Agency (Sanral) to its knees financially.
https://citizen.co.za/news/south-africa/1649333/etolls-sorry-tale-four-years-later/

Shame! They should build a bridge and get over it!

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Umm no, many people asked how it was going to be paid for and they were just brushed off or lied to..

SANRAL only has itself to blame for the situation they're in currently.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Wonderful new highways? I think "wonderful" is a bit of a stretch.
Well, they are nicely lit now and do have extra lanes, and one can not go 120 in on Centurion N1 bit (Flying saucer interchange to Brakfontein interchange) and a few offramps and onramps in PTA.

No extra off-ramps and onramps in JHB and Midrand do suck.

But then again, not new, just upgraded.

Cius

Expert Member
To Mr van Niekerk who blithely ignored the key point we all have an issue with. The road project cost you 20 billion when it should have cost 2 billion. You idiots did the quoting, and signed on the dotted line. Until you can actually handle that side of projects you will never have our trust, or backing. I have yet to see a brave whistle blower come forward to explain where all the extra money went to, and we know those people are around.

SA is revolting against government and state owned entities not so much because we don't want to contribute to the country and its growth, but because we now know that a large portion of what we "donate" is going to fund corruption, or is spent wastefully. So get off your high horse and fix your internal issues before you publish articles blaming the public for doing what is right.

buka001

Expert Member
If they had implemented an increase in the Fuel levy back in 2010 of a minimal 4c/l (date and figure could be wrong, but a study was done), it would have been paid off by now.

The tolling system is open ended. They would pay it off and continue to extract a revenue from it. This is unfair, as eventually Gauteng motorists would be funding other projects. Which proves that SANRAL's statement that they don't want a fuel levy because it is unfair for non-Gauteng people to fund the roads, as eventually, Gauteng would fund other roads.

A fuel levy would become a fair system, as once the roads were paid off, that fund could be used for other projects, outside of Gauteng.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
I've already sold 2 vehicles with a substantial E Toll bill a long time ago.

How SANRAL plans to collect outstanding funds from me is a mystery.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender

When my car was written off it also had e-tolls that were not paid. Dunno how that would even work. Car had to be signed over to insurance company before they paid out. Who knows what happens to those accounts or invoices that they raised against that car.

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
chief financial officer, Inge Mulder
This ignorant crying cnut still around?

To think in those days we still partially believed in our black government trying its best to govern, boy were we wrong and innocent then..

qscwbt

Expert Member
What is this etoll?

I am already paying tax for roads via a fuel levy. Ring fence this.

Latest fuel levy is R3.17 per litre .That means I pay R190.20 of fuel levy tax each time I fill up 60 litres. this is suppose to be used for roads. they are making billions a year.

F U if you think adding more tax, ring fence this existing levy and actually do use it for the roads roads and not zuma's pocket.
I think it comes to 180 billion a year in tax. the sanral fiasco was 19 billion.

Marius Flash

Expert Member
If we are all paying the latest fuel levy of R3.17 per liter......... then why the F*** are our roads in the state they are at this point in time......Oh wait of course - that dreadful "C" word with capital letters .... this is total BS:mad:

c3n0byt3

Tolls are attached to vehicle owners. Not vehicles.
That bill follows you.
So when you sell your vehicle, whatever your current address/phone number/email is, stays with the bill and is associated with passes during the time of ownership.
When you purchase a new vehicle (to replace the one you sold) all your details make it onto eNATIS again. If stuff has changed then their database is updated.
There's many loopholes to evade them finding you; but eventually it's not worth the effort.
Because eventually even if they find you they can't do much (for now) as per OUTA's findings.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Tolls are attached to vehicle owners. Not vehicles.
That bill follows you.
So when you sell your vehicle, whatever your current address/phone number/email is, stays with the bill and is associated with passes during the time of ownership.
When you purchase a new vehicle (to replace the one you sold) all your details make it onto eNATIS again. If stuff has changed then their database is updated.
There's many loopholes to evade them finding you; but eventually it's not worth the effort.
Because eventually even if they find you they can't do much (for now) as per OUTA's findings.
Nice info, but I'm no longer getting invoices of vehicles I've previously owned.
Surely, for the system to work they need to constantly send documents to owners of vvehicles even after they sell the said vehicle?

Massive fail.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
Nice info, but I'm no longer getting invoices of vehicles I've previously owned.
Surely, for the system to work they need to constantly send documents to owners of vvehicles even after they sell the said vehicle?

Massive fail.
You don't understand...