E-tolls close to being scrapped

3WA

Expert Member
I'm not in support of this. The people of Pretoria should pay if they want to visit Joburg.

And the people of Joburg should be punished if they want to visit Pretoria.

Jings

Honorary Master
I'm not in support of this. The people of Pretoria should pay if they want to visit Joburg.

What if you're in Pretoria and work in Joburg or in Joburg and work in Pretoria?

Sl8er

Executive Member
Bet all those people who paid e-tolls are feeling real good about this right about now :whistling:
:crylaugh:

Jings

Honorary Master
If you work in Joburg, you should live in Joburg. I'm sick of being surrounded by village folk.
It seems your gripe is with Joburg people in general. I live and work in Ekurhuleni district while going through 6 tollgates a day, only a 20km stretch each way.

chrisc

Executive Member
SANRAL are adamant that we will have e-tolls in the Western Cape. Their court case was lost, but they carry on as if it did not occur. They are already leasing farm-land just beyond Somerset West for this purpose

rietrot

Executive Member
Just in time for the next election so that the ANC can claim they have defeated their own stupid ideas.

I don't know the numbers but I remember that the GFIP ended up costing 70 odd billion rand including all buildings, roadworks, and e-toll infrastructure.

What was the all-in cost?

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member

I wouldnt want to live in either, both pretty sucky places that I get out of as soon as possible when I have to go there on business.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
The original budget for GFIP was R6 billion.

Where did the other R16 billion come from?
The road system was R6 Billion, the revenue collection system (etolling system) added another R16 Billion to that initial R6 Billion. Yes, the revenue collection system cost more than the road upgrades themselves.