Paul_S

Expert Member
I'm actually surprised but let's see what solution is decided.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Probably should have come to this conclusion before spending billions. :erm:

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
The panel also called for a “massive expansion” of public transport.

Boom! There's the big one. I'd gladly take a park and ride to work anyday.

numbers-cost-car-vs-bus.png

Attachments

• car-bus-bike.jpg
    car-bus-bike.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 490

Mbuzi

Expert Member
I wouldn't.
Why should I drive somewhere in a vehicle just to park it and take another vehicle?
Pick me up on my street so that my vehicle remains in the garage and off the roads and we'll be in business.

+1000 it defeats the purpose if you have to wake up in the morning get into your car, drive 20KMs and then hop into a bus for another 15KMS

CeeBee

Expert Member
its not sustainable or affordable? how much (extra) did it cost for them to get to that conclusion? we've been saying all along...
two problems with the views : "The implementation of the project has benefited the economy of the province in terms of reducing traffic and travelling times"... really? seems as busy as ever...so hasnt exactly been effective then?
"there is general acceptance"... i think its clear that there is not at all acceptance of the system, especially the 'double pay' system, since we are taxed for the roads to be made available and maintained.
but true that the improvement of public transport is a welcome addition... should have been there in the first place... still long way to go.
so lets see whats going to be done about the report, or will it just be another thing JZ pushes aside?

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
+1000 it defeats the purpose if you have to wake up in the morning get into your car, drive 20KMs and then hop into a bus for another 15KMS

And if you would need to drive 20km to get to the nearest park and ride?
Like say - someone living south of Alberton.

Fuzzbox

Expert Member
And it took them how long to reach this conclusion.
Fuel levy and they would have saved R20 BILLION that could have been used for ESCUM.

herbertk

Expert Member
Seems like good new.. concerned with the fact that they are not calling to scrap it ..

The panel’s primary recommendation is that elements of the current system must be reviewed for fairness and sustainability.

What are these elements ? What is not fair that everyone is not paying ?

Hope I am just too pessimistic and that this will be scrapped in the end ...

Sonic2k

Executive Member
This comes to the same argument elsewhere...
they won't scrap it because it will make them look like failures to the voter base.

TJ99

Honorary Master
they won't scrap it because it will make them look like failures to the voter base.

1st rule of politics: Innocent until proven guilty. Still innocent after being proven guilty. Never admit failure.

ttygt

So, The Review Panel found that.....the system has to be reviewed?

Swa

Honorary Master
Actually this is where it's headed. ANC reviews the system and finds that it isn't in the interest of the people. ANC has listened to the people. Voter base being as stupid as always laps this up without thinking that this is an ANC introduced system.

I want it to fail in court so that the ANC sits with egg on its face and can't claim victory.

falcon786

Honorary Master
Blah blah blah blah...implement,add,elements.....insert number of vague rational sounding politician type words here to beat around the bush....

Stop the BS ANC and just scrap e-tolls and implement a ring fenced or national fuel levy.Plain and simple.

If its a national levy then use the money for other cities road improvement projects also,if its provincial then use it only for Gauteng,either way fuel levy ring fenced is the simplest solution.

Sodan

Expert Member
The panel heard presentations from all sectors of Gauteng, including road user groups, opposition groups, unions, businesses, and even Sanral and the department of transport.

Is this the same meeting Wayne Duvenage was prevented from attending? I caught the tail end of a snippet on RSG today about the security guard (or bouncer?) being given a photo of Wayne and instructed not to let the person on the photo into the meeting. The bouncer didn't even know anything about Wayne (not even his name!).

Sodan

Expert Member
1st rule of politics: Innocent until proven guilty. Still innocent after being proven guilty. Never admit failure.

From the JZ "It wusunt me" song: Never admit to a word what she say.

darn, now I gotta go find that song on youtube and listen to it. Thanks TJ99, not like I have better things to do :mad:

:D