E-tolls saves Sanral…for now

I want to pay the actual payment rate. I doubt it's more than 10% or 15%.

Moody’s warned that Sanral’s failure to maintain sufficient e-toll revenue collection, leading to deteriorating budgetary performance and growing borrowing needs, would apply downward rating pressure.
This will mean the following according to Vusi Mona from SANRAL

Sanral spokesperson Vusi Mona says the downgrade will have ripple effects and ultimately affect the citizens of SA, because the cost of borrowing for Sanral will inevitably increase. The agency's risk profile will also be impacted considerably.
"Let's not forget that Sanral is a state-owned entity. In essence, it is an asset owned by the people of SA and government is simply the custodian. Therefore, the downgrade of Sanral ultimately has implications for the people of SA."
Mona says Sanral is in discussions with its sole shareholder – the state – and is assured of its support. "We are hopeful that this will soon be resolved so that Sanral can go back to what it has been mandated to do ? plan, build, operate and maintain SA's national road network."
He says despite the negative implications of a Moody's downgrade, Sanral's operations will not be hampered – especially its non-toll portfolio (84% of Sanral's road network) that is financed through an allocation from the fiscus and not affected by tolling.

Owned by the people of SA? THen why the **** do we need to pay to use it?

Ignore it man... its more spin/propaganda from the cANCer. I take everything they say with a pinch of salt, especially considering their media statements are all aimed at the blindly voting masses

Ignore it man... its more spin/propaganda from the cANCer. I take everything they say with a pinch of salt, especially considering their media statements are all aimed at the blindly voting masses
Fair enough Koosi but let's consider the following.
The public puts up one hell of a fight in its rebellion against e-toll by any means possible. We create an administrative and legal nightmare with non-payments, using alternative routes etc. Due to this SANRAL can't afford the operating and maintenance costs anymore, thereby borrowing more funds directly from the state (indirectly from you Koosi & Bugatti).
It goes further, the first court case kicks off on the constitutionality of e-tolling, especially in the light of inadequate public consultation. The case is won and SANRAL falls flat.

Now, every Rand from government that went out the window on this monumental fsck up of a project, plus interest, do you think the ANC will just wright it off? Don't you think they will recoup those funds by hiding it in increases with different taxes etc? Almost like Telkom does under "miscellaneous". :p

Good to see that their "junk" status isn't too far off.

Back