E-tv complains that DStv is allowed to run too many ads

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
DStv could be forced to run fewer ads

A recent discussion document published by the Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (Icasa) revealed that free-to-air broadcasters are unhappy with the amount of advertising time DStv gets.

As a result, Icasa has indicated that it may have to limit advertising time allocated to subscription broadcasting services like DStv.

I am still trying to figure out why dstv advertises dstv on its own channels. Thats like trying to sell a banana to someone who is eating a banana from a bag of bananas that they are holding.

Because the biggest majority of their viewers are non-subscribers. Either people sharing accounts, businesses playing channels for clients, hotels offering TV to clients, etc.

And the better the channel, the more ad you see at one time. National Geographic is particularly bad, some ad slots go on for over 8 minutes

• Haha
Reactions: Oil
At least they should give subscribers a choice, you pay less but then you have to watch ads.

Does'nt this have something to do with the viewership numbers of your target market? E-TV channels have lots of ads promoting their channels but few actual ads. So I wonder how they can actually afford to provide free channels or is this somone's tax write-off??:unsure:

I certainly don't care as I haven't watched TV for many years.
Streaming services are the best and most affordable.

I am still trying to figure out why dstv advertises dstv on its own channels. Thats like trying to sell a banana to someone who is eating a banana from a bag of bananas that they are holding.
It is a banana republic.

And why they curry favour by abusing subscribers monies to fund their massive expenditure on suckling up to the gimme clubs through their tax dodge sponsorship ventures?

If you want to run a charity, then register one, but "not on my dollar"!

Just find it funny that a premium service near a grand has adverts crammed in everywhere. Live events/sport fine. But everything else is just funny. Pause a show? Congrats your TV is now a banner poster for Audi or whatever bs they want.

Beware for what you wish for...

3rd party channels comes with built-in channel ads looped all day, every day. Your dstv ads are played over those. If you want less dstv ads, it will just be replaced by the same 3/4 channel ads played all day.

If you have ever watch a bit of cricket on ESPN where they played the same fcking ad/s after every over/wicket, you will know.

Normally patyv has a cap on the amount of paid ads it can run in some other countries. That would be fair to limit their revenue from paid ads as a paid service, but it won't limit the total amount of ads you will see.

I think they blocking out other adverts

Paying +- R900 per month for the privilege to watch DSTV's selection of finely curated adverts.

Honestly, anyone paying for DSTV at this point is mentally ill, no matter how much they like their sportsball.

Back