E.tv to take digital migration policy appeal to Supreme Court

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Ag jirre ... I am not sure who to be pissed off with more. The ICASA idiots or e-tv .... because both are just fcking this up to no end! JUST DO IT!

JStrike

Honorary Master
Ag jirre ... I am not sure who to be pissed off with more. The ICASA idiots or e-tv .... because both are just fcking this up to no end! JUST DO IT!
Yep. Couldn't agree more

Johand

Expert Member
Any why is multichoice not on your list?

furpile

Expert Member
Currently ETV cannot roll out a premium service without offering a decoder like DSTV to protect their content. Why do they demand that the switch to digital accommodate them? If they want to offer a better service they can still sell their own encrypted decoder like MNET started doing many years ago. They know the poor people will not buy a decoder so now they are trying to make us pay for the rollout of hardware they need.

And hasn't the government already started the distribution process in the SKA area?

krycor

Honorary Master
Maybe.. But in a country where incumbents are entrenched via side dealings with an obviously very corrupt government I'm with etv on this.

In the end, a national set top box with supports encryption is the best and only way to level the playing field and have a huge impact on MonoChoice.

Question you have to ask yourself is this.. Do you prefer the current situation? Or do you want something which will increase tax revenue and bring competition to a sector that's possibly worse than Telkom domination in telecoms ever was

FNfal

Executive Member
If these ass wipes had just decided what DTT to use(DVB-T2 ETC.) and just left it at that and just bought the STBs from whom ever, this shyt would be long over .
Instead every shyt for brains with an agenda/back hand in mind wants to interfere .
DO it already WTF.

Last edited:

Toby

They are too busy with streamers
Etv, Why are worrying about an obsolete technology.

Can I presume that ETV is aware of a new techology sector commonly know as VOD that the market who can afford to pay for content is switching over to.

ETV, are you looking into this new technology, or are you married tp an old technology that requires dedicated hardware.

markings

Expert Member
Would it not be a software function where encryption can be switched on and off?
Whatever additional hardware would be necessary will be cheap.
The biggest expense may be licensing fees for the encryption.

Swa

Honorary Master
Currently ETV cannot roll out a premium service without offering a decoder like DSTV to protect their content. Why do they demand that the switch to digital accommodate them? If they want to offer a better service they can still sell their own encrypted decoder like MNET started doing many years ago. They know the poor people will not buy a decoder so now they are trying to make us pay for the rollout of hardware they need.

And hasn't the government already started the distribution process in the SKA area?
It would have been much simpler and cheaper and benefited a lot more people if they just imported the units with encryption from their new bed partner China. That's what a normal functioning country would do. But the difference is that then nobody would get a big brown envelope under a table.