EA launching new unlimited PC gaming subscription service soon

Aqua_lung

Honorary Master
I would never get any work done if I subscribed to a gaming subscription service. :(

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I'm definitely signing up to Origin Access Premier once FIFA 18 is playable on it. If you want even two AAA games from EA a year then the service is worth the money, and there are a couple great games from them.

This and Humble Monthly is all I need for PC gaming. Such amazing value.

crackersa

Honorary Master
I'm definitely signing up to Origin Access Premier once FIFA 18 is playable on it. If you want even two AAA games from EA a year then the service is worth the money, and there are a couple great games from them.

This and Humble Monthly is all I need for PC gaming. Such amazing value.
Get an Xbox....EA already offers a service there

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Get an Xbox....EA already offers a service there
You talking about EA Access? That's also on PC. EA Origin Access Premier includes all EA games, not just a vault of older ones.

And I have an XB1 already as a Blu-ray player. Absolutely hate it. If I was going to get into console gaming I'd buy a PS4 for that. The only good thing about my XB1 are the awesome controllers that I use for some PC games.

crackersa

Honorary Master
You talking about EA Access? That's also on PC. EA Origin Access Premier includes all EA games, not just a vault of older ones.

And I have an XB1 already as a Blu-ray player. Absolutely hate it. If I was going to get into console gaming I'd buy a PS4 for that. The only good thing about my XB1 are the awesome controllers that I use for some PC games.
Fair enough on the first paragraph.

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
15 bucks a month??? I sure hope that includes a 14.90 rebate. Nope, I'm definitely not the target market for this sort of extortion.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
15 bucks a month??? I sure hope that includes a 14.90 rebate. Nope, I'm definitely not the target market for this sort of extortion.
$120 a year (or R1200 for us) is what people will probably get if they want the service. $10/R100pm is an excellent price.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
$120 a year (or R1200 for us) is what people will probably get if they want the service. $10/R100pm is an excellent price.
It's basically R200 a month at current exchange rates. Knowing EA the vast majority will basically be freeium games behind a paywall, so expect to pay for microtransactions on top of your monthly subscription

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I have to agree with Bryn, it is a good proposition by EA,

If you want even two AAA games from EA a year then the service is worth the money, and there are a couple great games from them.
to quote the article,

It is priced at $14.99 a month, or $99.99 a year, and gives users access to the latest EA titles five days before their official release date.
supported by The Verge article,

Origin Access Premier, on the other hand, will let subscribers download every new EA title five days before its official release date, as well as all the titles from the back catalog.

This is perhaps a better fit for EA than anyone else, given the company’s focus on annual or biennial series like FIFA, Madden, and Battlefield where the majority of the player base migrates to each new release.

The new business model could either attract extra revenue from customers that would normally spend less than the subscription fee on the company’s games in a given year, or expand DLC and microtransaction revenue by increasing the player base of each title.
but I guess it will be a bit more than R 1 200 p/a,

however, EA will have 2 subscription models, ignoring EA Access, where subscribers are likely to move between the 2 models to accommodate their gaming patterns, but this also be pending on how and when EA publishes AAA titles.

The US en EU markets will appreciate this...

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
It's basically R200 a month at current exchange rates. Knowing EA the vast majority will basically be freeium games behind a paywall, so expect to pay for microtransactions on top of your monthly subscription
No, see Origin Access and EA Access. Their library (or vault) is made openly available with a subscription. Origin Access Premium immediately adds new titles to the library 5 days prior to public market (or release date). Obviously DLC and microtransactions will supplement the income stream, but that would also apply to purchasing a title separately or outside the subscription model.

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
I guess if playing video games is your thing then a grand a year is probably worth worth it if you consider that buying a legit copy of a game can often cost that much if you use one of those console thingamajiigs.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
No, it's R100pm if you pay annually. The R1200 per year price was in the Origin desktop client.

I have to agree with Bryn, it is a good proposition by EA,

to quote the article,

supported by The Verge article,

but I guess it will be a bit more than R 1 200 p/a,

however, EA will have 2 subscription models, ignoring EA Access, where subscribers are likely to move between the 2 models to accommodate their gaming patterns, but this also be pending on how and when EA publishes AAA titles.

The US en EU markets will appreciate this...
It's R1200 a year for us, as reflected in the desktop client when they had a promo page on the upcoming Premier subscription.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
No, it's R100pm if you pay annually. The R1200 per year price was in the Origin desktop client.

It's R1200 a year for us, as reflected in the desktop client when they had a promo page on the upcoming Premier subscription.
That is good to know, the regional pricing that is. I hardly load Origin, thanks for the heads-up.

cavedog

Honorary Master
It's hard to say this is value for money BUT it can be. @ R1k per year you going to get the AAA titles like BF and NFS each year. Also Once you leave the sub to expire then it means you have no games so it's value for money but also not really as you need to renew or lose just like PS+

I got Rocket Leage way back then. I need to keep renewing or I can't play it.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
It's hard to say this is value for money BUT it can be. @ R1k per year you going to get the AAA titles like BF and NFS each year. Also Once you leave the sub to expire then it means you have no games so it's value for money but also not really as you need to renew or lose just like PS+

I got Rocket Leage way back then. I need to keep renewing or I can't play it.
Rocket League has gone for next to nothing on PC (and has been free with Humble Monthly, which doesn't require an ongoing sub to access your games), so you're not stuck anywhere you don't want to be.

No one subscription is amazing value for money to all people, but EA Origin Access Premier will be excellent value to a lot of gamers. I'm not even that into EA games and will be happily getting it. I always have the latest FIFA (which costs at least R600 a year) and would probably buy Battlefield V (minimum R600 via CDKeys). Already I've broken even, and then there's also the other stuff I might enjoy, like Star Wars, Anthem, Unravel 2 etc.

Humble Monthly + Premier is R230 a month effectively, for a metric s**t ton of quality games. Definitely enough for me going forward.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
Sounds like you don't understand the concept, to be honest. For an entire year, you can play any game on Origin, including AAA games, for the price of 2 games, if that.