Each prisoner costs taxpayers R10,890 a month, but only R475 is spent on food (Timeslive)

Convict

Economics of scale. Cooking a big pot of prison gruel, you only need 30g of meat per person.
The B-Order that is the internal policy or directive for prisons in the country, in the sections dealing with food, allocates 200g of meat, per inmate, but you will be lucky to get 50g of meat.

itareanlnotani

Expert Member
Maybe not today, but it was certainly possible. Several years ago I was unemployed for 2 months, my ex and I made do with R 900 groceries for the month. We didn't eat prison sludge, we just had a vegetarian diet. Although she was vegan (Hindu), it wasn't even slightly difficult for me to adapt to a good bean meal for supper 3-5x per week.
Lots of dutch oven's come bedtime though haha.

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
There are less harsh punishments than amputation that can actually offset costs of harbouring detritus,but sure if that gets your jollies going have at it :laugh:
Eitherway, unless we actually enforce laws and their punishments equally; nothing is going to work.

B-1

Expert Member
R475? What are they eating? Only a loaf of bread & some butter everyday?

Thats plenty. Its just not lamb and oxtail.
Chicken, beef/pork heart liver, meaty bones, gizzards, hearts etc and then pick your staple and veg. Porridge for breakfast and bread for lunch.

Convict

That all? No soup nothing?
So in the mornings with the 2 slices of bread you will get maize meal that looks like water. The other 5 slices of bread, you will get as supper with either a tablespoon of jam, or peanut butter. that is your supper. lunch differs each day. Mostly consist of maize meal or samp, some kind of maize rice. some veggies, and then your piece of meat.

KopiteZA

So in the mornings with the 2 slices of bread you will get maize meal that looks like water. The other 5 slices of bread, you will get as supper with either a tablespoon of jam, or peanut butter. that is your supper. lunch differs each day. Mostly consist of maize meal or samp, some kind of maize rice. some veggies, and then your piece of meat.
Username checks out ☝️

RedViking

Nord of the South
I have so many questions but will leave it for another day. I think many of us have very little idea what prison actually is.