Early Bitcoin miner in South Africa lost the key to his wallet with 20 bitcoin

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Sure it sucks but I can almost guarantee you that had he still had access, he would have sold around $100.

The allure of money would have been too great.
Yup
And the worst part is this has been haunting him for a decade now
Knowing he could have cashed it in and yet he just keeps seeing the price of bitcoin climbing every year :ROFL:

acidrain

Executive Member
Yup
And the worst part is this has been haunting him for a decade now
Knowing he could have cashed it in and yet he just keeps seeing the price of bitcoin climbing every year :ROFL:
Not that it haunts me but I do now and then reflect back on my ETH wallet and think about the stuff I could have bought had I not sold.

It has taught me to have a little more faith when investing in crypto projects

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
I have some doge on Bittrex. I too lost my key. I saved it in a notepad file and accidentally deleted everything in My Documents to free up some space. I then ran into a tight spot so sold that SSD. This was about 2 or 3 years ago.

It was a few thousand doge which I bought for a few ZAR for schits and giggles.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Many years ago I was seriously into extreme CPU cooling to enable supa-overclocking. As a hobby sideline I also sold liquid and phase-change cooling kits. Back in late 2011 some chap in Centurion wanted to pay me with 140 Bitcoin. But I declined. It was just too much hassle. Ah well.

Aghori

Honorary Master
My friend Sajeel (not real name, but he is a fat Indian man who looks a bit like our forumite Ranz/Randhir,) had 4 bitcoin on his laptop in 2010-ish or so... he sold the laptop to me. Great success!

Botha22

Some years back I used to pay for a seedbox that only accepted bitcoin. In April 2021 going through my Localbitcoin account I was dismayed at the amount of BTC I wasted on that seedbox.

Swa

Honorary Master
Sure it sucks but I can almost guarantee you that had he still had access, he would have sold around $100.

The allure of money would have been too great.
This is the part everyone misses. All those crying over how much they lost is only because they couldn't access it. Most people who bought early on sold at no more than 1000%.

[XC] Oj101

Dealer
I had several orders of magnitude more BTC than that around the same time. I was mining with 6 cards for almost a year (Radeon 5870s and 5770s) after hearing about it on the news (something about the FBI raiding a house with a large heat signature and high power usage, and instead of finding a weed plantation, finding computers mining). I sold them as they had no value, no future, and I could at least recoup my costs.

Other blunders include turning down someone offering me 40 BTC (told him I have enough, give it to someone else), giving away 100 BTC to someone who told a funny joke online, selling Litecoin at R 6/coin, selling Ethereum at R 10/coin, trying to day trade Dogecoin and losing about 200k coins by not having much of a knack for trading, etc.

I'm over it, and quickly got over it once I realised how much better my life is with ambition. It still stings a bit when friends remind me of what I had, but it no longer keeps me up at night.

At least I didn't pay 10k BTC for a pizza (the first known BTC transaction).

Oh, I also have 43 BTC sitting on MtGox. I didn't manage to get anywhere with claiming it when they resurfaced. I think I also have a few thousand (not many) Doge in a wallet somewhere. I'm DONE with cryptocurrency. Made enough mistakes to last a thousand people a thousand lifetimes.

Moto Guzzi

Expert Member
But it should standout like a small abscess on the bitcoin body, an abscess is a painful collection of pus, usually caused by a bacterial infection.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
I have some doge on Bittrex. I too lost my key. I saved it in a notepad file and accidentally deleted everything in My Documents to free up some space. I then ran into a tight spot so sold that SSD. This was about 2 or 3 years ago.

It was a few thousand doge which I bought for a few ZAR for schits and giggles.
You can recover that. Thats an exchange. Just go through their user identify process.

cguy

Executive Member
This is the part everyone misses. All those crying over how much they lost is only because they couldn't access it. Most people who bought early on sold at no more than 1000%.

Exactly - they always assume the “optimal exit”, in these types of articles.

If my colleagues over the last 20 years had “kept all their stock”, most would have a net worth in the 10’s to low 100’s of millions of dollars. With the possible exception of one weirdo who lived like a hermit and never sold a thing, they all sold (myself included), when the stock appreciation was several times what it was granted at. People bought houses, cars, indices, etc. Most of us see it as “we didn’t gamble big so we didn’t win big”, which is just fine.