Earth leakage wont trip when pressing test button

patcon

my elcb wont trip when pressing test button,does that mean i have a faulty unit,the DB is 21yrs old and have these big ass elcb that also serve as a main isolating switch,the earth wiring is connected to the earth rod and metal sockets and light switches,but its of no use if there is a leakage to earth and the elcb wont trip.
this is obviously a huge problem if a live wire comes into contact with a metal casing.the only sensible solution would be to replace the old elcb which are fed from the prepaid meter.
i dont have an isolating switch between the meter and elcb,my only option is to let the remaining units from the prepaid meter be depleted and do a voltage test on the incoming feed cables and safely remove the conductors(wearing PPE of course).my question is do i need a separate main switch with an elcb or can i just wire the conductors straight to the elcb as shown in pic.

Attachments

Swa

Honorary Master
Well you do get elcb's which also serve as an overload protector, they're a lot more expensive. But there's other problems there. I can't see what is what but you have a thin ass wire going from a 20A breaker. I don't know if you know what's what there but I assume the right side is the lights so it's either geyser, stove or plugs which just boggles the mind.

Earth leakage is easy to test by wiring the neutral of a low power appliance to the earth and I assume this is more or less what the test button does through a resister so it's probably borked.

patcon

Thx for my very 1st reply,I bought the property about 3yrs ago and its actually a bungalow im residing,im in the process of building a house on the property and u r quite correct,the wiring was confusing until i opened the DB,its actually a readybox.
The thin wire u r referring to is feeding the sockets on a 1.5mm cable rating, the light circuit fed from the 20amp breaker which also feeds the 3 sockets on the panel with a 2.5mm cable if noticed closely,so theres 2 cables feeding multiple circuits from the 20amp breaker,the kitchen socket and 1 bedroom was wired on a 10amp mcb which for the most part caused overloading for obvious reasons.A kettle and charger was enough to trip the breaker.
Even the lights circuit was confusing.the incoming cable which fed the 1st light was connected to a connector block and the black wire which act as a switch live wasnt marked as live when connected to the live incoming terminal of the connector block.
The 2.5mm cable on the top right corner with the exposed opening was just 1 of 3 cables floating about with exposed live parts on a 5amp mcb,
Yes it was a mess and had to rewire the whole damn thing and had to remove and put in additional breakers for each individual circuits.Only the elcb is giving me a headache at the moment

Swa

Honorary Master
That's a disaster waiting to happen. The 1.5mm would have to be pulled and replaced with at least a 2.5mm. Geyser and stove can be 4-6mm with a 20-30A breaker. Have higher power appliances next to the mains bridging outwards from thicker to thinner wire ending with the lights. Plugs are usually on a 20A. Lights can be on 5A.

Ideally there should also be a dual isolator before or after the meter and before the box. I don't even know if it's earthed correctly.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Earth leakage is easy to test by wiring the neutral of a low power appliance to the earth and I assume this is more or less what the test button does through a resister so it's probably borked.
Or take a 3 point plug, bridge earth to neutral, close it up and plug it in.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Get an electrician to replace the earth leakage. It's broken.
As for the rest, perhaps get hold of the ecbsa and ask them about checking whether a compliance certificate was legally issued.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
. But there's other problems there. I can't see what is what but you have a thin ass wire going from a 20A breaker. I don't know if you know what's what there but I assume the right side is the lights so it's either geyser, stove or plugs which just boggles the mind.
Never mind that, check the cascaded wire from the very right hand breaker to the 3rd breaker to the middle breaker. Both loads being fed off one 1.5mm wire.

reactor_sa

Executive Member
Get an electrician to replace the earth leakage. It's broken.
As for the rest, perhaps get hold of the ecbsa and ask them about checking whether a compliance certificate was legally issued.
Yeah did you get a compliance certificate?

Swa

Honorary Master
Never mind that, check the cascaded wire from the very right hand breaker to the 3rd breaker to the middle breaker. Both loads being fed off one 1.5mm wire.
Yeah I saw that but not so concerned about it really. It's still going from thicker to thinner and lower rated cb's so not really a big overload risk. It also looks like a 2.5mm and not a 1.5mm to me.

patcon

Yeah did you get a compliance certificate?
thx for the feedback,no i wasnt issued a CoC,i had legal issues with the estate agent ,still pending,regarding the property,as for the elcb i need to get that replaced by an electrician asap

patcon

That's a disaster waiting to happen. The 1.5mm would have to be pulled and replaced with at least a 2.5mm. Geyser and stove can be 4-6mm with a 20-30A breaker. Have higher power appliances next to the mains bridging outwards from thicker to thinner wire ending with the lights. Plugs are usually on a 20A. Lights can be on 5A.

Ideally there should also be a dual isolator before or after the meter and before the box. I don't even know if it's earthed correctly.
yes it is earthed as i have mentioned before and i rewired the circuits with the correct amp cable rating,the isolating switch between meter and panel is 1 I need to to install,this is actually an old pic

inanabhay

if you bought the place, the Estate Agent must ensure that you get a Certificate of Compliance, which is the responsibility and cost of the seller.

Get another Qualified Electrician to double check - there are people who give CoC without really checking - beware!

Swa

Honorary Master
if you bought the place, the Estate Agent must ensure that you get a Certificate of Compliance, which is the responsibility and cost of the seller.

Get another Qualified Electrician to double check - there are people who give CoC without really checking - beware!
No longer a requirement.

inanabhay

Thanks, I didn't know that they changed this requirement - it made sense (if it was done "correctly")

patcon

the earth leakage was faulty,i fitted a din rail chint elcb with an adapter for the samite rail next to the faulty elcb and the problem solved,the stove i put on its own breaker with a 45amp isolating switch which was previously on a 16amp plug socket which roasted the socket,while some may argue is no need for a stove to be connected through elcb i did mine anyway and ironically the elcb tripped for the very 1st time and it was 1 of the plates that was faulty,i was a bit worried of nuisance tripping but had no problem ever since15450785048721992726103419342716.jpg

yebocan

Executive Member
What is no longer a requirement? The COC? If so, what was the reasoning behind dropping this?
Recently....bought a place - Electrical COC was required...waived my rights to a plumbing COC, was busy doing renovations and none of the plumbing was complete at transfer time.