Easiest ways to increase my earning capacity as a mechanical engineer in SA

ronz91

Expert Member
Heys guys

Have been thinking about this lately. What are the simplest ways to increase my earnings as a mechanical engineer. Even if this means branching out into different positions that aren't necessarily engineering. Most advisable degrees to complete in addition to engineering degree? Skills to become proficient in?

Cicero

Expert Member
Were you born in 91? If so, then you have maybe been out of varsity a year or two, so there's plenty time.

I'd aim to do your professional status. Its a good bet.

Side note: This probably should be in Health, Wealth and Relationships, its generally where questions like this are asked.

Last edited:

ronz91

Expert Member
You are correct :) okay thanks had no idea where to actually post this. Will post there now.

noob_saibot

Heys guys

Have been thinking about this lately. What are the simplest ways to increase my earnings as a mechanical engineer. Even if this means branching out into different positions that aren't necessarily engineering. Most advisable degrees to complete in addition to engineering degree? Skills to become proficient in?
You can move into finance/consulting by doing an MBA (recommended for completion only after becoming a certified/qualified engineer).

You can move into Project Management by doing a post-graduate program at a University.

You can complete your honours/masters (which should bump your pay up).

You can also specialize in niche, high-demand technologies by learning them (and/or getting certified).

As an engineer, I don't think you'll ever struggle with financial issues, so I'd personally recommend that you look into doing something you really enjoy (like R&D for some big company, etc.).

More money is always beneficial, but sometimes the work you're doing to earn it can drain you (to a point where it is physically affecting you).

ronz91

Expert Member
You can move into finance/consulting by doing an MBA (recommended for completion only after becoming a certified/qualified engineer).

You can move into Project Management by doing a post-graduate program at a University.

You can complete your honours/masters (which should bump your pay up).

You can also specialize in niche, high-demand technologies by learning them (and/or getting certified).

As an engineer, I don't think you'll ever struggle with financial issues, so I'd personally recommend that you look into doing something you really enjoy (like R&D for some big company, etc.).

More money is always beneficial, but sometimes the work you're doing to earn it can drain you (to a point where it is physically affecting you).
thanks man. Been thinking along all those lines,was wondering if I was missing anything but you summarised it nicely.