East London police warn surfers about theft of motor vehicles in Nahoon

Daruk

Honorary Master
https://www.rnews.co.za/article/24321/east-london-police-warn-surfers-about-theft-of-motor-vehicles-in-nahoon

East London police say surfers should not leave keys in their cars
East London - Cambridge station commander, Brigadier Pumla Mdlankomo, has issued a warning to surfers around the Nahoon Beach area of East London to be vigilant at all times.

"The warning comes after three vehicles have been reported stolen in this month alone," said police spokesperson, Captain Mluleki Mbi.

Capt Mbi according to information, it is said that the surfers leave their car keys in places where thieves will be able to reach them before going into the water.

"The Cambridge SAPS urges surfers to be more vigilant as to prevent such incidents from occurring in future," .

"Of the three reported cases, one has been recovered by police."

Daruk

Honorary Master
And you thought EL was a s#!thole. We've been leaving our keys in our cars for years! Oh wait... Who skyfed my bain?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Only 3 in a month?

I reckon 3 cars are stolen from Durbans beach front every hour at least...

Up your game EL.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Only 3 in a month?

I reckon 3 cars are stolen from Durbans beach front every hour at least...

Up your game EL.
Hey! We're the poor province, most surfers cars are held together with the same stretchies used to keep the board on the roof! Ain't nobody got time to steal dat!

surface

Executive Member
I see a market for waterproof key holders.
There were few such instances around emmarentia back in 2006. But, mostly all kayakers started using waterproof pouches that one could hook (to a PFD or something - I can't recollect exactly now). Of course, it is different for surfers - I suppose they don't wear flotation device.

gamer16

Executive Member
Just stick the old SA flag on the side of it when you park it, no one will get near it.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
I see a market for waterproof key holders.
There are plenty already, if you are a surfer and don't have one you can only blame yourself for still leaving keys untended on the shores.

You even get a key holder that can be bolted to your car underneath that can be locked securely, but suspect they can be broken with the right tools, so the waterproof pouch you keep inside your wetsuit or trunk pockets does the job 100%

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
There are plenty already, if you are a surfer and don't have one you can only blame yourself for still leaving keys untended on the shores.

You even get a key holder that can be bolted to your car underneath that can be locked securely, but suspect they can be broken with the right tools, so the waterproof pouch you keep inside your wetsuit or trunk pockets does the job 100%
Or the surfers should just work harder and buy better cars...

My 2003 Merc had a surf key as standard...

Jola

Honorary Master
I used to Scuba dive with a key on a nylon string around my neck. Didn't have the remote on it, but it could unlock the door.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Nice, never knew some cars had that!
Very poor image, but I can't find a nice one... Bascially, there is a key in each remote that you can remove. All it will do is unlock/lock the door and arm/disarm the alarm at the same time. You leave the remote portion in the car, and then lock the car and put the little key in your pocket or on a necklace or something and you're good to go.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Very poor image, but I can't find a nice one... Bascially, there is a key in each remote that you can remove. All it will do is unlock/lock the door and arm/disarm the alarm at the same time. You leave the remote portion in the car, and then lock the car and put the little key in your pocket or on a necklace or something and you're good to go.

Ah like that, yes my car key is also like that but I take the whole thing with me in a waterproof pouch

Daruk

Honorary Master

Still, my point stands, I see a market for waterproof key holders in East London. Someone isn't doing their marketing lol.

Daruk

Honorary Master
I used to Scuba dive with a key on a nylon string around my neck. Didn't have the remote on it, but it could unlock the door.
I just separate the electronics from the key part - my Ford Focus allows that - and tuck the key part into my wetsuit. *EDIT* I see ToxicBunny posted it.