Eastern Cape hall named after Mandela is derelict

schumi

Honorary Master
The Madiba Community Hall in Bhongweni township in Cookhouse in the Eastern Cape is derelict, and the Blue Crane Route Local Municipality has taken the blame.

The hall was built in 1994 to honour former president Nelson Mandela. It is the only functioning hall in the whole of Cookhouse because the town hall has not been repaired since it was torched during 2016 protests. It is used for funerals, weddings and community events.

Nancy Jacobs says she has been complaining about the state of the hall.

“Madiba’s good work is known worldwide. To honour him with a crumbling hall is an insult and shame. All our mayors and councillors have no respect for Madiba. How can they have no budget for an important building like this?”

“The doors are falling apart. Some of them can’t be opened anymore. I remember a day when there was a funeral in that hall; a ceiling fell over the mourners. The roof leaks. Toilets are broken and smelly. Mourners have to climb stairs with a coffin because the main door is damaged.”

The caretaker of the hall Xolani Majoko said the hall was not being maintained.

”Cabinets are broken. Women are forced to share toilets with men. Other men pee outside the hall and cause a stink because all the male toilets are faulty. This is not caused by vandalism: the hall is not maintained by municipality.
More at : https://www.groundup.org.za/article/eastern-cape-hall-named-after-mandela-derelict/

nightjar

Expert Member
Brick & tile buildings, like electricity, are colonial benefits and are being looted and destroyed by mobs of comrades as fast as possible.

Polly101

Expert Member
yet I bet they still vote the same party to run the municipality - dumb@$$es

Sollie

Executive Member
My bad - my skim read of the article wasn't accurate enough
Anyway, not too far off. Use these match carrying destroyers to do something positive. Chain gangs to fix and repair rthe country. So many of them, we might even be able to build a Wakanda.

grok

Honorary Master
since it was torched during 2016 protests

the hall is not maintained by municipality.
Sounds just like our country.
Enjoy your no-more-hall..

Milano

Honorary Master
Siya Mbenya, economic development officer for Amakhala Emoyeni Cookhouse Community Trust, confirmed the trust would help.

He said, “Yes, we will help the municipality in renovating the hall. This is part of our socio-economic responsibility. We are just waiting for a formal document from the municipality.”
Either of two possibilities come 2025. Either they are still waiting for that document from the municipality. Or else a renovated hall has been burnt to the ground in another protest. Sweet Jesus. Please may I be wrong.

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
Either of two possibilities come 2025. Either they are still waiting for that document from the municipality. Or else a renovated hall has been burnt to the ground in another protest. Sweet Jesus. Please may I be wrong.
'that document'.