Easy Equities good or bad?

Bundu

Expert Member
not EE related, but some of you might do crypto?
Got an assessment from SARS today for 2021 tax year....... they claim I made R1.3m profits from crypto that I didn't declare and want a load of money from me......... thieving clowns!
I have never touched any crypto

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
not EE related, but some of you might do crypto?
Got an assessment from SARS today for 2021 tax year....... they claim I made R1.3m profits from crypto that I didn't declare and want a load of money from me......... thieving clowns!
I have never touched any crypto

What information did they use to figure that out?

Bundu

Expert Member
What information did they use to figure that out?
I have no idea - just did an affidavit at the cop-shop and the lady that does my taxes, will take it further - just pisses me off, that I have to try and prove my innocence

Bundu

Expert Member
Lol, and here it starts! Open the can of worms.

Personally I think people think sars are stupid (well.... guess what), not so stupid after all!
well in my case they are STUPID and are more than welcome to look at all my finances - they're wasting their overpaid time

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
Exactly! those asswipes should show me proof of their data
zg23d026r5r71.jpg

3WA

Honorary Master
hahaha EXCELLENT!!!!! (Mr Burns)

Maybe try asking for ideas in the Crypto and Blockchain subforum: if SARS really is making you put in the effort, getting letters from local exchanges confirming you don't have an account or something like that.

Bundu

Expert Member
Maybe try asking for ideas in the Crypto and Blockchain subforum: if SARS really is making you put in the effort, getting letters from local exchanges confirming you don't have an account or something like that.
thanks for the idea, but in my view, SARS should now provide proof..... that I should easily be able to tear apart

It's been a bad couple of months now.... those morons at Tshwane cut my power..... their mistake...... and took ages to re-connect........ then cancelled my debit order, that has been running smoothly for 27 years......... looks like idiots are targetting me...... time for PK's

ab-user

Expert Member
thanks for the idea, but in my view, SARS should now provide proof..... that I should easily be able to tear apart

It's been a bad couple of months now.... those morons at Tshwane cut my power..... their mistake...... and took ages to re-connect........ then cancelled my debit order, that has been running smoothly for 27 years......... looks like idiots are targetting me...... time for PK's

Identity theft?

Bundu

Expert Member
Identity theft?
also thought of that, but my credit record is 100%......... and if ID theft, they must be able to detect the accounts that the gains have been transferred to........ and if not, they can transfer them to my accounts and I'll pay the taxes ;-)

surface

Honorary Master
Honestly, this doesn't sound right thing to do. I have 2 savings accounts in 2 banks. If I go to 4 other banks, would they really give me a letter confirming that I don't have account with them ? What if I missed a bank? I saw a UBank building the other day and I didn't know it till then (maybe it is not a bank). Is this not same situation with crypto exchanges? How many are there ?

surface

Honorary Master
I have no idea - just did an affidavit at the cop-shop and the lady that does my taxes, will take it further - just pisses me off, that I have to try and prove my innocence
This is the only thing that makes sense. I don't see how else are you supposed to prove it. What did SARS call center say you should provide?

3WA

Honorary Master
Honestly, this doesn't sound right thing to do. I have 2 savings accounts in 2 banks. If I go to 4 other banks, would they really give me a letter confirming that I don't have account with them ? What if I missed a bank? I saw a UBank building the other day and I didn't know it till then (maybe it is not a bank). Is this not same situation with crypto exchanges? How many are there ?

Proving a negative is impossible, but SARS can put the burden of proof on you, so a person can end up in a really difficult situation. In a worst-case scenario, you're then including your affidavit and the emails you sent to the exchanges asking for the letter of confirmation. It may eventually help at the tax ombudsmen if you've taken all these steps.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Proving a negative is impossible, but SARS can put the burden of proof on you, so a person can end up in a really difficult situation. In a worst-case scenario, you're then including your affidavit and the emails you sent to the exchanges asking for the letter of confirmation. It may eventually help at the tax ombudsmen if you've taken all these steps.
Proving a "negative" is not impossible. That's a ridiculous internet rumour.

Any bank or exchange can very easily check their records/system and confirm you don't have an account.

A affidavit and a letter from the accountant is already more than enough, however. I would not even have gone that far. I would just have queried it with SARS and told them their information is wrong. Then the ball is back in their court to provide you with something.

3WA

Honorary Master
Proving a "negative" is not impossible. That's a ridiculous internet rumour.

Yes, internet rumour. Karl Popper and Bertrand Russell were internet meme-lords.

Any bank or exchange can very easily check their records/system and confirm you don't have an account.

Agreed, but one has to have a plan if they do not put in the effort to do this for a non-customer.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Yes, internet rumour. Karl Popper and Bertrand Russell were internet meme-lords.

Agreed, but one has to have a plan if they do not put in the effort to do this for a non-customer.
Lol