Easy Equities good or bad?

Ecco

Executive Member
anybody having issues to sign in?
i assume the login url changed, as my autosaved passwords no longer completes :/

Probably related to the 2FA changes they made. For those who didnt see the comms about this, might be a good idea to enable this from today.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
anybody having issues to sign in?
i assume the login url changed, as my autosaved passwords no longer completes :/

Yes, the login url has changed. Just search for your login credentials using the old login url, then use them to sign in with the new login url. Worked fine for me.

kitkat+

I am trying to understand the selling/buying price on EE. It appears that a part-time investor like myself has no say in this price because I am not able to place a bid on a particular price or can I? What about the selling price, can I ask for a particular price? I am still on the demo account, maybe live trading is different.

Bincx

I am trying to understand the selling/buying price on EE. It appears that a part-time investor like myself has no say in this price because I am not able to place a bid on a particular price or can I? What about the selling price, can I ask for a particular price? I am still on the demo account, maybe live trading is different.
From what I understand you are able to lock in specific prices using credit (which you pay extra for). But this is an added 'premium' feature.
Therefore you need to be careful with bid offer spreads (especially on illiquid stocks). However on most shares, this shouldn't be a problem.

LaraC

Honorary Master
The option to set "Limit orders" or "Stop/Break orders" are not available on all stocks. ;)

Most large cap stocks do have this option. :)

kitkat+

Around 17:00, I notice the bid price on Telkom go to R38.45 and the Ask price around R34.38. The last price was R36.62. Is this some form of system error, or does this happen around the times the market close? What would have happened if I did sell? Would the transaction have gone through today, or carried over tomorrow?

LaraC

Honorary Master
Around 17:00, I notice the bid price on Telkom go to R38.45 and the Ask price around R34.38. The last price was R36.62. Is this some form of system error, or does this happen around the times the market close? What would have happened if I did sell? Would the transaction have gone through today, or carried over tomorrow?
It is strange that the spread for Telkom is so wide. :unsure:

The sale would only execute if the market price were within the limits you set.

bobcpt

The JSE is open for trading during 9h00 and 17h00, but the trading hours on EE are between 9h10 - 16h40. While the platform allows you to trade throughout the day at the prevailing price, it is my understanding that in order to reduce tradings costs EE will only buy or sell shares once a day on the JSE. If you place an order outside of trading hours, it will carry over to the next trading day.

If you place a limit buy or sell order, then the order will only trigger if the market trades at that price point during the day. If price does not reach your limit price, then your order would remain in the system until cancelled or price reaches the specified price. If you place a market order, then the trade is executed immediately at the prevailing price during trading hours. Stocks/etfs with low liquidity/trading volumes can have wild bid/offer spreads and you would be well advised to avoid placing market orders outside of regular trading hours. It would makes sense to request a live price before placing a market order to ensure that the bid/offer price is within reason.

The bid/ask price that you see are from patient market participents who keep orders in the system hoping that those prices would be hit by market orders. Sometimes you get lucky.

kitkat+

I have been reading the volatility article on EE here, do we know of any recent examples of shares that were affected?
How often do these events occur?

sandwitch

Is there a major difference between choosing between salary or savings as where your deposits come from?

kitkat+

I am trying to understand what it will cost me to transfer 10K ZAR to my USD account and then also when I transfer it back.

I read some information here but I am not sure of the additional taxes.

-Kitty.

Pegasus

Honorary Master
Is there a major difference between choosing between salary or savings as where your deposits come from?
It’s used for AML - Anti Money Laundering.

If it’s small amounts then don’t worry about it.

If you said your salary was 20k a month and you’re depositing 100k a month from ‘salary”, then there may be an alert.

mr_norris

Expert Member
I am trying to understand what it will cost me to transfer 10K ZAR to my USD account and then also when I transfer it back.

-Kitty.
If you go to the funds transfer section, you can select where you want to transfer to and from and it'll tell you costs and rates. You don't even need funds to see.

Is been a while since I used EE to transfer funds. I found them to be a touch more expensive than FNB. I think I included the ebucks kickback in my calculation. Would have to check again to be sure.

bobcpt

-Kitty.

You can find the transfer page by clicking on the Menu button (top left) -> Inter account transfers & Easy FX. From here you can select your from and to accounts and enter the amount. It will calculate the fees and show exactly how much will end up in your account.

This is what they were quoting at the point of posting this response:
1 USD = 17.3780 ZAR
ZAR 10000
USD 575.44
Less Fee: 2.87 USD
Value Added Tax on costs (VAT) on fees. 0.43 USD
Final Amount: 572.14 USD

3WA

Honorary Master
I think I included the ebucks kickback in my calculation
Hang on, how did you fund your USD account and get eBucks?

(Maybe a more appropriate question for the eBucks thread, but hopefully the EE crew forgive a brief intrusion)

Bincx

(Maybe a more appropriate question for the eBucks thread, but hopefully the EE crew forgive a brief intrusion)
You can deposit into your ZAR account and pay via your FNB Credit Card (hence will earn smart spend). This is how to earn the ebucks 'kickback'. (I think this is what Mr Norris meant -- however I could be wrong)
The next step is then to transfer from your ZAR account to your USD account within Easy Equities (no ebucks here).

zerocool2009

Executive Member

You can top up your EE with credit card!

** take note of the fee, when using your credit card **

mr_norris

Expert Member
You used to get 50% of the SWIFT fee back in ebucks. I am not sure if it's still a thing though. I don't use CC for funding my account. The fees just don't make sense.

Reactions: 3WA

Bincx

You used to get 50% of the SWIFT fee back in ebucks. I am not sure if it's still a thing though. I don't use CC for funding my account. The fees just don't make sense.
I think it can make sense in some instances but probably only on the higher FNB accounts and ebucks levels. I often use it, I might spend R200+ in fees but that same transaction will push me over a smart spend threshold and I will get R300 or R450 back in ebucks. So net effect still positive.

Agree that at lower thresholds or FNB accounts, does not make sense.

GrootVoet

Anyone opened up a EE Euro or GBP Accounts?

Not that many companies to invest in (and no ETF's) but a few interesting options.

I thinking seriously of putting a couple of € into the likes of SAP and Siemens.