Eating food off the shelf before paying – what Woolworths, Pick n Pay, and Spar have to say

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
I never grizzled while shopping with my parents and neither did my son. Maybe it is a weird class thing at that.

But seriously - why don't parents make sure children are fed and watered before taking them into the supermarket?
This is what I just don't get. The lack of spannungsbogen is a bit alarming.

It isn't about the kids being fed and watered, it is about shopping being stressful and long and boring and kids get fed up, tired, bored, whatever because they are kids. Then they see something they want, but you aren't buying it for them, and blah blah blah. Sometimes the path of least resistance is to give them a drink, and/or a snack to distract them for a bit to avoid mid-shop meltdowns which tend to upset other shoppers who then think you are a bad parent, throw you the evil eye etc.

You clearly haven't shopped on a busy Saturday morning at month end with kids. I notice that all the people who condemn this, are men, who probably don't do the monthly shop, and almost certainly not with kids. However, if you did venture out into the real world, you will see plenty of moms with their kids having to do the shopping at month end when you get paid because there isn't any choice and you have to. And you do whatever you have to do to get through shopping with minimum stress. And if that includes giving your kid a drink from the fridge so be it man, so be it.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Haha. This made me smile. It has bugger all to do with respect or manners. And it really isn't a problem. But good luck to you when you have children

If you allow your kids to manipulate you, they'll take full advantage.

Reactions: Swa

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
If you allow your kids to manipulate you, they'll take full advantage.
Let me guess, more wonderful parenting advice from a man who has never had to shop with one or more kids in tow at month end on a busy Saturday morning.

Rajah

Honorary Master
It isn't about the kids being fed and watered, it is about shopping being stressful and long and boring and kids get fed up, tired, bored, whatever because they are kids. Then they see something they want, but you aren't buying it for them, and blah blah blah. Sometimes the path of least resistance is to give them a drink, and/or a snack to distract them for a bit to avoid mid-shop meltdowns which tend to upset other shoppers who then think you are a bad parent, throw you the evil eye etc.

You clearly haven't shopped on a busy Saturday morning at month end with kids. I notice that all the people who condemn this, are men, who probably don't do the monthly shop, and almost certainly not with kids. However, if you did venture out into the real world, you will see plenty of moms with their kids having to do the shopping at month end when you get paid because there isn't any choice and you have to. And you do whatever you have to do to get through shopping with minimum stress. And if that includes giving your kid a drink from the fridge so be it man, so be it.

My wife and I go shopping with the kids every single month, they don't get whatever they want, and they don't eat in the shops. They can wait till they get to the car.

You don't have to give in to every demand of a child.

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
do you often give your kids what they want to keep them quiet?
My wife and I go shopping with the kids every single month, they don't get whatever they want, and they don't eat in the shops. They can wait till they get to the car.

You don't have to give in to every demand of a child.

Both of you are assuming that I'm giving in, rather than averting a crisis. And if you tell me your kids have never gotten bored in the shop, cried, or otherwise gotten shall we say 'difficult' I'm going to straight up call you a liar. Especially when they are under 5.

EADC

Executive Member
Both of you are assuming that I'm giving in, rather than averting a crisis. And if you tell me your kids have never gotten bored in the shop, cried, or otherwise gotten shall we say 'difficult' I'm going to straight up call you a liar. Especially when they are under 5.
That's when you beat the little Hitler for being an *******

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
But seriously - why don't parents make sure children are fed and watered before taking them into the supermarket?
Sometimes circumstances dictate an impromptu shop with the kids in tow.

Besides, it's a bit unfair if I say no to them if I'm going to do it, given how much it seems to piss some people off. :p

access

Honorary Master

was just wondering.

to the kids you are "giving in" :p

Rajah

Honorary Master

When they were smaller yes. But if you feed small ones before going to the shops they get easier to manage. Right now my youngest is 5 and although he had a bit of a rough patch for a bit last year he knows better than to throw a tantrum in a shop. Giving them whatever they want makes them entitled.

Sl8er

Executive Member
So many weak willed human beings with, apparently, little to no self-control. (?)

It's also "frowned upon" (and not against the law) to walk up to a stranger and call them a fcking kant to their face for no reason, but out of respect for other people you don't generally do stuff like that. (Unless you're an a-hole, of course.)
Sure, maybe the stores don't outright say "don't do it"...but as demonstrated by store owners and managers in this thread, 100% of them would stop it completely (and immediately) if they could.

As for the children thing: Shame poor you. You must be the only people on the planet who have these monster children. How do you ever cope with anything?
Maybe your kids act like a-holes...because you act like a-holes? Who woulda' thunk? :rolleyes:

As for the parents, who somehow manage to be respectful towards others and still manage their children without giving into their whims: Kudos to you for raising your kids like not-aholes :thumbsup:

Also, It's not about people being pissed off for the sake of being pissed off **...it's about respect for others. (Where "others" = store managers / owners / staff who care.) It's up to you (where "you" = people who do stuff like this) in the end, of course...but I'm a firm believer that the world needs more respectful people. (It sure would go a long way in this "shlt-hole world" of ours.)

**I don't think anyone in this thread is pissed off. Annoyed at people's general disrespect, maybe, but not "foaming-at-the-mouth" pissed off.

(Side-note: Maybe it's time for this thread to be closed now? We're all just "arguing" in circles here...and I seem to lack the self-control to not post! :ROFL: )

Last edited:

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
I am not going to apologise for being a law-abiding citizen who has paid for everything I take from a shop. And categorising me in with the criminal element who walk into a shop with the express intent of stealing is discriminatory, biased, wrong, unfair and a whole lot of other adjectives.

You are all moralistic, that is given to making moral judgments, in a self-righteous or judgmental manner.

Aquila ka Hecate

Executive Member

I am a woman.

I have shopped frequently at month end - and I hate it, too - with a small child in tow.

I have never had to snatch something off the shelves to pacify the child.

You sort it out before you go - how hard is that? - and certainly don't forget to remind your child that you can wait.

Moralistic, holier-than-thou; call it what you will. One of the things children need to learn to become reasonably good adults is to wait for stuff.

Aquila ka Hecate

Executive Member
Sometimes circumstances dictate an impromptu shop with the kids in tow.

Besides, it's a bit unfair if I say no to them if I'm going to do it, given how much it seems to piss some people off. :p

It would piss me off if I did it.
You doing it isn't going to rustle any of my jimmies; I'm just going to assume you're trailer park trash and don't know any better.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
It would piss me off if I did it.
You doing it isn't going to rustle any of my jimmies; I'm just going to assume you're trailer park trash and don't know any better.
So pleased to hear your "jimmies" won't be rustled, I would hate for that to happen. Sounds painful. (I did have to look that up)

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 12.24.05.png

hungrymamba

Expert Member
It is unacceptable. Bad behavior. People who often do this were not raised very well, so I blame their parents.