Eating food off the shelf before paying – what Woolworths, Pick n Pay, and Spar have to say

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Horses for courses.

I for one would never consume before I have paid. Unless of course if it is a hospitality service. It is how I have been raised and I’m still sticking to those life morals and discipline. Likewise, with my kid, I also raised him to respect the exchange of goods. This is just the way I am.

Cius

Executive Member
I don't eat or drink before I pay. What if your card gets declined or something and you have no cash?

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I don't eat or drink before I pay. What if your card gets declined or something and you have no cash?
Why would you not carry cash? My grandfather taught me that men should always carry three things - a pocketknife, a piece of string, and some walking around money.

TBH I never understood the string thing since the only time I saw him take it out was when asked how long a piece of string is, but there you go.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Or you can just feed them if they are hungry?
Or just feed them before you leave.
shops let people call someone to bring them money.. or they call someone for you that bring you jewellery.

ive taken a drink and drank it on a hot day or with a hangover, paid for it at the till after.

even the colddrink adverts have people drinking straight from the fridges with all shorts of **** happening in the process
Are you seriously taking this route? Ads also show people drinking copious amounts of alcohol without getting drunk.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Well, then, carry something with you from home.
You know - something that's already paid for. Is it so hard?
But seriously, indulging kids' I want it right now is hardly good practice.
I don't indulge. If my child is hungry, I feed my child. If I am hungry, I feed myself. It's not too difficult to understand, is it?

Amazing that you always have with you all the right food for you, whomever is with you, and your child/ren. Very impressive.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
I don't see the issue with eating something from the shelves whilst you shop.

The issue is clearly with people doing this and weaselling their way around not paying for what they've consumed, which is theft.
I would say you have bigger issues to deal with in that case. Why are you in the shop to begin with when payment may be an issue? And if the electronic payment systems of the shop are offline then they have issues with tens-of-thousands of potential sales being lost; I doubt they would care about your R30 snacking cost.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
What if your card gets declined or something and you have no cash?
They want us to carry cash. First, it was a full tank of fuel's worth then it was only an R100 note. Next it'll probably be an R50 note or they'll see the light like the rest of us in 2019 and stop carrying any cash.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
They want us to carry cash. First, it was a full tank of fuel's worth then it was only an R100 note. Next it'll probably be an R50 note or they'll see the light like the rest of us in 2019 and stop carrying any cash.
Who is "they"? I said a full tank of fuel worth as a minimum.

Please remind us your suggestion for what to do when your card fails at a petrol station or restaurant?

EADC

Expert Member
Who is "they"? I said a full tank of fuel worth as a minimum.

Please remind us your suggestion for what to do when your card fails at a petrol station or restaurant?
anecdotal of course but all fuel stations around me where I would fill up all have ATMS or tap and go tech.

And you can draw cash from PNP tills too.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
anecdotal of course but all fuel stations around me where I would fill up all have ATMS or tap and go tech.

And you can draw cash from PNP tills too.
Your card is not working

That's the scenario being presented