Eating food off the shelf before paying – what Woolworths, Pick n Pay, and Spar have to say

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
I do not need a card to do any of those things.

Like most people you carry a phone where ever you go at least I do.
So the person who has consumed within the store can do the same thing. End of argument then.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
For me, the whole debate is just unthinkable. The fact that some people do this shows just how far our morals, ethics and respect for other's and their property has slipped. If one can't control one's thirst and hunger for the time it would take for one to get out of the shop, then it reflects very badly on those that do this! No self-control or respect for themselves either.
What should happen is, stores should simply put their foot down and charge perpetrators accordingly.

Last edited:

falcon786

Executive Member
Truth be told if our society was more trustable no retailer would deny this to consumers.

At the end of the day it boils down to intent,if you eat without intending to pay or even forget to pay then you're basically a thief.

But if you're intending to pay and do actually make sure you're going to pay then why not,especially if it's within reasonable limits like just a drink or a non messy chocolate,eating messy foods in store or opening lots of items is definitely crossing the line of reasonable.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
So the answer is that you just go and pay for your coke the next day.
As stated before... seems you can't read aswell.
I seen this happen and posted in the other thread. Security detained the guy and he was subject to uncomfortable stares from shoppers while he waited for who knows how long for somebody to come and pay for him. He tried multiple cards and they were all declined, after consuming goods before paying for them. That's the last time he'll be doing something like that if he learns his lesson.
I was at Checkers earlier and a man was drinking a bottle of water and munching on a chocolate while in the queue. He paid via card and it didn't work for some reason, even after trying another card. He did no have cash on him... manager called security and had him to wait there till his wife/gf brought cash and paid.
You're doing something they don't like do you think they'll make special arrangements for you?

falcon786

Executive Member
I don't eat or drink before I pay. What if your card gets declined or something and you have no cash?
I ALWAYS keep a bit of cash in my pocket.Then again I don't usually eat or drink in supermarkets but on the rare occasion that I did pop open a can I knew I had the money to pay for it in my pocket,again it's down to how responsible you are and your intent.

I like how some people are all judgy in here as if they know what the next persons situation is,maybe he/she just stopped after a few hours in the car and needs something to drink immediately but also wants to buy other things,should he walk up and down a huge supermarket to pay for a can then go all the way back 500m to the other end of the store?

Mind your own business and stop deciding how honest the next person is unless you actually see them committing a crime like ....walking out without paying.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
I ALWAYS keep a bit of cash in my pocket.Then again I don;t usually eat or drink in supermarkets but on the odd occasions that I did pop open a can I knew I had the money to pay for it in my pocket,again it's down to how responsible you are and your intent.

Haven't you heard it's 2019? Wtf is wrong with you?!!

falcon786

Executive Member
Who said anything about not having the funds?
Limits get exceeded,cards get damaged and don't work,banks go offline for a couple hours etc etc .....I have a retail store it's very common to encounter this daily with customers.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Limits get exceeded,cards get damaged and don't work,banks go offline for a couple hours etc etc .....I have a retail store it's very common to encounter this daily with customers.
Phone a friend. Or did that also stop working?

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Doesn't mean you don't have any money. Just means you can't access it for the reasons you stated...

Moto Guzzi

I thought the law was all about intend..?
I never do this, but what is the difference between this and rising the prizes of items for a time, then lower it a bit and advertise it as a discount and put it on a table maked special sale-?