Eating food off the shelf before paying – what Woolworths, Pick n Pay, and Spar have to say

greg_SA

Expert Member
Geez, are people looking to be irritated by others? I really couldn't be bothered what other people do when it doesn't affect me at all...

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Not their problem.
But you said it was their problem

Licenses are either for selling capped to the public or consuming on the premises but not for both.
Then again snacking in stores is the store owner's problem and no one else's, despite the 300+ posts on the matter.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
I personally feel like we should all be eating without paying at woolworths until they stop hurting small business owners in SA.

Johand

Expert Member
Then again snacking in stores is the store owner's problem and no one else's, despite the 300+ posts on the matter.
Of course it is the problem of other shoppers. It makes the store dirtier, creates unpleasant sights and sounds, slows down the shopping process.

By your argument it would be OK for me to go shopping naked because it does not really affect other people.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Of course it is the problem of other shoppers. It makes the store dirtier, creates unpleasant sights and sounds, slows down the shopping process.
It makes the store dirtier? You understand we're still talking about people snacking and paying, right. Not ditching the wrapper somewhere to get out of paying.

By your argument it would be OK for me to go shopping naked because it does not really affect other people.
Sure, everyone deserves to feel better about themselves,

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
They supply free tasters at Makro? Alcohol can't be consumed in public and only on a licensed premises. Licenses are either for selling capped to the public or consuming on the premises but not for both. Make of that what you want. It's also why restaurants will uncap it for you so you can't take it with you.
yup

It makes the store dirtier? You understand we're still talking about people snacking and paying, right. Not ditching the wrapper somewhere to get out of paying.
One of my Mom's big objections to us eating in public as a general rule was the dirtiness of the other people and the city or town itself.
She was a cytologist.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
One of my Mom's big objections to us eating in public as a general rule was the dirtiness of the other people and the city or town itself.
She was a cytologist.
I'd imagine that objection would only be strengthened by naked-guy walking around the shop. I'm not even going ask where he plans to keep his credit card...

Johand

Expert Member

Sure, everyone deserves to feel better about themselves,
If people are going to eat in store there is going to be spills no matter how careful you are. And some food just lends itself to microspray everywhere - you might not even be aware. So you can say but people should only eat non-messy food but that is a grey line.

I'd imagine that objection would only be strengthened by naked-guy walking around the shop. I'm not even going ask where he plans to keep his credit card...
In the hand that holds the Cheetos packet so I can eat with the other hand obviously. Don't worry I will wipe my dirty Cheetos hand on my belly before paying. :ROFL:

Swa

Honorary Master
But you said it was their problem
No they have to comply with the law which they do. They can't stop what you do afterwards but taking an opened bottle of alcohol from the premises would mean you're breaking the law. I don't see why you want to argue this.

And they've weighed in on it. So why do it if they'd prefer you don't? I also explained why it ends up being everyone's problem.

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
The Power of MyBB......

I had a good chuckle this morning when my partner asked for an email address and informed me that he was forwarding an article that he had read about eating in stores without paying for it. The article was circulating among Retailer Groups on social media, including the SPAR WA group here in Namibia.

I mentioned to him that I belong to an esteemed online forum that had been discussing the exact same topic recently.

The article arrived and I burst out laughing with pride, shouting out to my partner A, "Hey Boet! This is the forum that I belong to, the one that the I have been a member of for the past five years, you know the one that I get pissed on and post obscene braai pics....... "

The power of MyBroadband........

;)

Attachments

Londo

Is this only a South African thing? How about in other countries? In the US, it is not done. I remember my ex sister in law opening "a bag of cookies" (as they say that side) and starting to eat them in a supermarket (she had a thing abut food tbh), and I quickly told her to stop. But there you also have to have shoes and a shirt on... 'No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service' as the sign says. Bunch of nitpickers :)

I also remember visiting SA and being surprised to see a a banana peel on the floor. I don't think that was paid for at the till. Now living back here, I'm not that easily surprised!

Is this only a South African thing? How about in other countries? In the US, it is not done. I remember my ex sister in law opening "a bag of cookies" (as they say that side) and starting to eat them in a supermarket (she had a thing abut food tbh), and I quickly told her to stop. But there you also have to have shoes and a shirt on... 'No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service' as the sign says. Bunch of nitpickers :)

I also remember visiting SA and being surprised to see a a banana peel on the floor. I don't think that was paid for at the till. Now living back here, I'm not that easily surprised!

Aaannd..we're off again.

Are we?

I never saw this in the UK or the US. But my info may be out of date by now.