Eating food off the shelf before paying – what Woolworths, Pick n Pay, and Spar have to say

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
Sorry but the entire point was eating AND paying that is NOT STEALING!

Shoplifting / Stealing is a whole other thing and not condoned by anyone.
I see what you saying, let me elaborate ...... I have customers that are busy munching on the floor and I approach them, in a nice explanatory manner I ask them not to eat in the store....

They reply , "But I am going to pay for it....."
I reply, "Yes, I know you will, I don't doubt your character in the slightest, But if I let you eat now and pay later, other elements will see this and do the same, citing you as an example and their intentions may not be honest."

So in essence whilst the majority of folk are honest and intend paying, others see it as an opportunity to exploit your trust in your fellow man!

Aquila ka Hecate

Expert Member
Sorry but the entire point was eating AND paying that is NOT STEALING!

Shoplifting / Stealing is a whole other thing and not condoned by anyone.
Yes, yes, yes.

But people eating in stores before paying for it makes it all the harder for the managers/owners to tell the skellums from the honest folk, do you see?

Edit:I see the Moose has already addressed this.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Mortymoose said:
I reply, "Yes, I know you will, I don't doubt your character in the slightest, But if I let you eat now and pay later, other elements will see this and do the same, citing you as an example and their intentions may not be honest."
As no doubt can easily be vouched for by the number of empty wrappers discarded in the aisles at the end of a busy trading day.

Last edited:

Daruk

Honorary Master
Yes, yes, yes.

But people eating in stores before paying for it makes it all the harder for the managers/owners to tell the skellums from the honest folk, do you see?

Edit:I see the Moose has already addressed this.
+1 In other words, you look the same to those owners until you've paid.

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
I see what you saying, let me elaborate ...... I have customers that are busy munching on the floor and I approach them, in a nice explanatory manner I ask them not to eat in the store....

So in essence whilst the majority of folk are honest and intend paying, others see it as an opportunity to exploit your trust in your fellow man!
Sums it up perfectly. Being exposed in this thread to so many kommin folk however, I know what the response will be:

Security is the stores responsibility. I am hungry/thirsty. My kids are hungry/thirsty. I will eat/drink and feed my kids when I am/they are hungry/thirsty.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Mountain out of a molehill? It was a good post. Best one in this whole kommin filled 17 page thread actually. You are a moderator. Why not just fix it yourself?
I could, or I could close a tedious thread that's going nowhere... or he could fix it himself.

Daruk

Honorary Master
View attachment 605238

I didn't say that, did I. Mortymoose did.
Well that has to be a forum bug, I didn't edit the quote other than to remove the preceeding text. I literally just quoted his message. I certainly quoted the correct text.
Perhaps it's possible I had a quote from you in there as well and deleted all text to the beginning, leaving the quote=Bwana at the top, who knows...

And as for suggesting you were smoking, I read your message as 'why misquito me'
And no, I can't blame the giggle twigs either, I must just be tired LOL
:ROFL:

Zoomzoom

Expert Member

I hate to inform you of this, but criminals will be criminals irrespective of what other people do. If your logic holds true then we must ban trying clothes on, ban fitting rooms, because people go into fitting rooms and put clothes on under their normal clothes and walk out with it. Do honest people going into the fitting room to try on clothes give crooks incentive to steal by putting clothes on?

Or should we argue that going into a shop and taking stuff of the shelves, gives shoplifters the idea to put it under their coat instead of in the trolley - gasp I suggest we ban shops too!

The person who walks into a shop with the idea to steal is not 'inspired' to their theft by what the honest people in the shop are doing. They get quite creative on their own.

It's an absolute nonsensical parallel to draw because you can argue that every action of the honest person might inspire some theft - putting petrol in your car gives the guys who drive away without paying the idea to do so. Eating in a restaurant gives people the idea to duck out without paying for the meal. It is completely false to think that it does.

Crooks are crooks. Honest people are honest people. Please stop equating us with them.

Swa

Honorary Master
Is this only a South African thing? How about in other countries? In the US, it is not done. I remember my ex sister in law opening "a bag of cookies" (as they say that side) and starting to eat them in a supermarket (she had a thing abut food tbh), and I quickly told her to stop. But there you also have to have shoes and a shirt on... 'No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service' as the sign says. Bunch of nitpickers :)

I also remember visiting SA and being surprised to see a a banana peel on the floor. I don't think that was paid for at the till. Now living back here, I'm not that easily surprised!
It's an entitlement thing. Sure there are probably other countries but there's also countries where they leave the goods on the street. You take what you want, put in the money and take your change. Nobody ever gets cheated. If only Saffers were that honest.

I hate to inform you of this, but criminals will be criminals irrespective of what other people do. If your logic holds true then we must ban trying clothes on, ban fitting rooms, because people go into fitting rooms and put clothes on under their normal clothes and walk out with it. Do honest people going into the fitting room to try on clothes give crooks incentive to steal by putting clothes on?

Or should we argue that going into a shop and taking stuff of the shelves, gives shoplifters the idea to put it under their coat instead of in the trolley - gasp I suggest we ban shops too!

The person who walks into a shop with the idea to steal is not 'inspired' to their theft by what the honest people in the shop are doing. They get quite creative on their own.

It's an absolute nonsensical parallel to draw because you can argue that every action of the honest person might inspire some theft - putting petrol in your car gives the guys who drive away without paying the idea to do so. Eating in a restaurant gives people the idea to duck out without paying for the meal. It is completely false to think that it does.

Crooks are crooks. Honest people are honest people. Please stop equating us with them.
And in the eyes of the shopkeepers there is no difference until you pay. Fitting rooms they usually take note of what you take with you. Restaurants know who's paid who hasn't, just try to walk out without paying but if you've paid everyone there knows you did. Petrol stations have your registration on camera. So really poor analogies there.

Sollie

Expert Member
It's an entitlement thing. Sure there are probably other countries but there's also countries where they leave the goods on the street. You take what you want, put in the money and take your change. Nobody ever gets cheated. If only Saffers were that honest.
Tbh, certain parts of Europe blew my mind; the first time I saw an open money box on a newspaper stand with nobody around! If it's starts raining, a passer by or nearby shop owner will move it out of the rain. People are considerate, something sorely lacking here.

Here they'd steal the money first, then the newspapers for scrap paper, then the stand for scrap metal! :laugh:

Very similar type of vibe in Malaysia where there is both rich and poor. Even some of our neighboring countries up north are not sooo bad as here. Here we do have a problem and even our African neighbors gossip about it.

Aquila ka Hecate

Expert Member

I don't think you quite understood - you're creating a dilemma for the store manager/store security who can't tell by looking at you chowing his goods that you're a good person who is going to pay for it. You could be a thief as far as he knows. So does he confront you or not? It's a problem.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
This practice, if allowed to manifest, opens up the shop to bad elements.

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
I don't think you quite understood - you're creating a dilemma for the store manager/store security who can't tell by looking at you chowing his goods that you're a good person who is going to pay for it. You could be a thief as far as he knows. So does he confront you or not? It's a problem.
No I'm not. I do not hide anything. This is the fundamental difference. Guy who steals HIDES the evidence of his crime. I do not attempt to hide anything because I'm not doing anything wrong. Not hard to tell the difference.