Eating food off the shelf before paying – what Woolworths, Pick n Pay, and Spar have to say

Aquila ka Hecate

Expert Member
No I'm not. I do not hide anything. This is the fundamental difference. Guy who steals HIDES the evidence of his crime. I do not attempt to hide anything because I'm not doing anything wrong. Not hard to tell the difference.
I'm sorry, ZoomZoom - but people do graze openly in stores and then neglect to pay. It happens. You're a good woman, but you could be one of those who gobble and then don't pay. Until the wrappers are actually disposed of, one can't tell the difference between you.

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
I'm sorry, ZoomZoom - but people do graze openly in stores and then neglect to pay. It happens. You're a good woman, but you could be one of those who gobble and then don't pay. Until the wrappers are actually disposed of, one can't tell the difference between you.

What you say is correct, I have been in retail for more than two decades. I know 80% of my customers across the entire demographic spectrum.

When I find the wrappers, we check the camera's , I trace back the customer and in 90% of the cases, it's the mum handing the screaming child something to eat before paying for it.

Then the mother get's caught up talking to other customers, looking at specials or just generally being distracted, not noticing that the kid has just discarded the wrapper....

When I see the mother a day or two later, they are extremely apologetical and pay claiming that they forgot to pay. I am not upset, I know them and do not brand them thieves. However I shudder to think of the store owners in the "real" world who cannot know the bulk of their customers.

Another pet hate, bags of wood, cases of cooldrink and bags of dogfood, stuck under a trolley, that both my customer and till operator "forget" to declare or charge for....

Small town, at least four times a month, I have customers coming back to pay for items that they were not charged for.

Love my customers..... don't know all the people's names, but they know me..... :giggle:

* Adding on a quick tale.

We found an empty packet of Russians from the Fast Food one day, traced it back, ID'd the customer, waited till he came back three days later, roped him in, got my partner to sit in and explain in the traditional language, asked him why he ate the Russians without paying for them, told us he was hungry and had no money. We asked if he knew we had camera's , he did not quite comprehend.

The man knows us, was feeling very ashamed. My partner, never called the police, but told the customer to pay for the item on payday and then got him to donate R100 to the local Children's Fund...... this is how we roll up here...

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Another pet hate, bags of wood, cases of cooldrink and bags of dogfood, stuck under a trolley, that both my customer and till operator "forget" to declare or charge for....

Small town, at least four times a month, I have customers coming back to pay for items that they were not charged for.

Love my customers..... don't know all the people's names, but they know me..... :giggle:
"forget"? You make it seem like they did it intentionally yet you say they return to pay for it when they realise their mistake. The implication is that the till operator is also in cahoots. :unsure:

Craig

Honorary Master
This happened to me once at the checkers in town (only saw when I got home that the total was weird and checked the till slip), had to drive all the way across town, after just spending more than 30 minutes on the original trip to the shop, and another 20 back, then had to drive all the way back again to pay for the bag that was under the trolley. Whole afternoon gone.

NEVER did that again.

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
"forget"? You make it seem like they did it intentionally yet you say they return to pay for it when they realise their mistake. The implication is that the till operator is also in cahoots. :unsure:
You jest, but when you have a till operator and a customer working in cahoots, then can cost you a ton. Years back we caught a till operator doing this, it was about 16 years ago and she was skimming around a thousand a day for 90 days before we caught them and this was only due to a member of the public informing us.

We changed to the community queue system so that customers could no longer "choose" which till they would be going to.

Yes! Some customers forget(not intentionally) about their bulk shopping under the trolley and do indeed return. ON a weekly basis I nag all 11 till operators to stand up off their chair and look over the counter and check that there is nothing forgotten under the trolley.

I am just lucky to be operating in a small town, honest folk still live here.....

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
This happened to me once at the checkers in town (only saw when I got home that the total was weird and checked the till slip), had to drive all the way across town, after just spending more than 30 minutes on the original trip to the shop, and another 20 back, then had to drive all the way back again to pay for the bag that was under the trolley. Whole afternoon gone.

NEVER did that again.
It's happened to me a couple of times. :eek:

Luckily it usually clicks when I get to the car and unpack the trolly so I can go back to the store then and there.

Mortymoose

Honorary Master

NEVER did that again.

Done this myself when in the big city and I should know better, also went back to admit my mistake!

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
Oh! another thing for all you wannabee criminals, it is way easier to shoplift that what you think....sometimes just being blatant without giving away body language and you can score....

Most genuine shoplifters we catch is due their body language they display BEFORE they commit..... this causes us to watch them.......

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Oh! another thing for all you wannabee criminals, it is way easier to shoplift that what you think....sometimes just being blatant without giving away body language and you can score....

Most genuine shoplifters we catch is due their body language they display BEFORE they commit..... this causes us to watch them.......
Good advice. Thanks mate ;)

Zoomzoom

Executive Member

no really? (sarcasm) you mean there is a CLEAR indicator if the person is up to no good? Oh my WORD!! (more sarcasm).

So yes, thanks, stop denigrating honest ppl, we might just stop supporting your shops.

Dan C

Honorary Master
What you say is correct, I have been in retail for more than two decades. I know 80% of my customers across the entire demographic spectrum.

When I find the wrappers, we check the camera's , I trace back the customer and in 90% of the cases, it's the mum handing the screaming child something to eat before paying for it.

Then the mother get's caught up talking to other customers, looking at specials or just generally being distracted, not noticing that the kid has just discarded the wrapper....

When I see the mother a day or two later, they are extremely apologetical and pay claiming that they forgot to pay. I am not upset, I know them and do not brand them thieves. However I shudder to think of the store owners in the "real" world who cannot know the bulk of their customers.

* Adding on a quick tale.

We found an empty packet of Russians from the Fast Food one day, traced it back, ID'd the customer, waited till he came back three days later, roped him in, got my partner to sit in and explain in the traditional language, asked him why he ate the Russians without paying for them, told us he was hungry and had no money. We asked if he knew we had camera's , he did not quite comprehend.

The man knows us, was feeling very ashamed. My partner, never called the police, but told the customer to pay for the item on payday and then got him to donate R100 to the local Children's Fund...... this is how we roll up here...
Hope your cameras can Zoomzoom in on these mums.

Last edited:

genetic

Honorary Master
no really? (sarcasm) you mean there is a CLEAR indicator if the person is up to no good? Oh my WORD!! (more sarcasm).

So yes, thanks, stop denigrating honest ppl, we might just stop supporting your shops.
Oh FFS just stop eating in store, and go to a ****ing restaurant. Your self-righteousness behaviour is quite pathetic.

Shaun108

Executive Member
I usually see lower class people with an attitude of entitlement eating in stores from what I've seen over the decades.

arabianmaiden

At times I have no choice but to shop with kids. I'd grab a few things for them, ring it up at an express 10-items-or-less till, then continue shopping. If anyone has a problem with that simply show them the receipt.