Eating food off the shelf before paying – what Woolworths, Pick n Pay, and Spar have to say

chrisc

Executive Member
Is this another manifestation of bad manners?
Like unnecessarily aggressive driving, parking so as to prevent other drivers to leave?
Deliberately short-paying accounts
Ignoring customers legitimate queries
Charging for goods and services without the slightest intention to deliver?

Consuming food whilst still in the store might give other shoppers the impression that this is acceptable behaviour

RedViking

Nord of the South
Sorry, When I read those responses it doesn't sound like they are bothered. Only SPAR 'might' not allow it, depending on the branch. . The rest discourage or recommend, in other words, we don't necessarily want you to do it, but if you do it is okay. Woolies couldn't care less.

Just make sure you pay for it. If people are not paying for it is theft and such a person should be treated as a thief.

A bigger problem and a greater concern is shops, specially SPAR, who still put fresh bread and food on open display for people to touch, sneeze, feel and then decide to put it in a packet or put it back. Sies man.

Last edited:

Johand

Expert Member
It is a habit that annoys me to no end. The people I know that does it are all self-entitled. I find the behaviour rude at best. How difficult is it to wait? If I see another rich white lady chewing open-mouth in Woolworse I will literally puke into her basket.

Swa

Honorary Master
Sorry, When I read those responses it doesn't sound like they are bothered. Only SPAR 'might' not allow it, depending on the branch. . The rest discourage or recommend, in other words, we don't necessarily want you to do it, but if you do it is okay. Woolies couldn't care less.

Just make sure you pay for it. If people are not paying for it is theft and such a person should be treated as a thieve.

A bigger problem and a greater concern is shops, specially SPAR, who still put fresh bread and food on open display for people to touch, sneeze, feel and then decide to put it in a packet or put it back. Sies man.
Not the same thing I read. They don't condone it but won't make a big fuss for obvious reasons. Tolerating something isn't the same as not being bothered. Spar can't comment as all stores are owner managed. Woolworths for some reason don't seem to have the problem enough to take a stance on it. To tell the truth I've never ever seen someone consume something in Woolworth that I can recall where I regularly see it in other stores like Checkers.

Swa

Honorary Master
It is a habit that annoys me to no end. The people I know that does it are all self-entitled. I find the behaviour rude at best. How difficult is it to wait? If I see another rich white lady chewing open-mouth in Woolworse I will literally puke into her basket.
I'd imagine the people feeling entitled to do it also take liberties in other areas as well.

smb3

Sometimes people are hungry. Tends to happen more with kids.

If you pay in the end, then no problem.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
IF the card payment isn't declined lol.
What happens when that happens at a petrol station? Which is why you carry around cash with you for just in case.

The minimum amount of cash you should carry around with you is depending on how much a full tank of fuel costs. As that is typically the maximum non returnable item purchase a person will typically make.

porchrat

Honorary Master
Woah man wtf.

Why do you need to bring race and gender into this?

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
What happens when that happens at a petrol station? Which is why you carry around cash with you for just in case.

The minimum amount of cash you should carry around with you is depending on how much a full tank of fuel costs. As that is typically the maximum non returnable item purchase a person will typically make.
Nobody carries cash any more. It's 2019.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
Nobody carries cash any more. It's 2019.
But there was a lot of comments about the "what if the card fails" scenario in the original thread. And it has popped up in this one also.

Restaurants and petrol stations are scenarios where non returnable product, or consumption has happened before the bill is paid.

So if the posters fill petrol, or visit restaurants as examples.....they should actually be having cash on them, making the card failure scenario a moot point

TysonRoux

Executive Member
Are you black, ......... the black sheep of the family?

backstreetboy

Honorary Master

I don't have a car but you just go back to pay for it the next morning.

Aquila ka Hecate

Executive Member
To be honest - and this is completely subjective, of course - people scoffing food and drink off the shelves look like trailer park trash to me.
I don't suppose that this matters to such poorly-raised individuals, but I know I'm not alone in this perception.

beans100

Honorary Master
My wife has no problem doing it but I have always felt uncomfortable with it.
Time to leave her :D

Kids found an empty Smarties pack in Checkers the other day. Opened and all. Really disturbing behaviour

beans100

Honorary Master
Maybe I can try this behavior in a liquor store and "forget" the empty bottles in the walk-in fridge