Eating food off the shelf before paying – what Woolworths, Pick n Pay, and Spar have to say

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
The only people I ever knew of that did this was scumbags in high school that would go to the local Checkers and get a pie and drink and finish them walking up and down the aisles, leave the empty bottle and bag somewhere and then at the register just buy something like chocolate or gum and walk out.
THIS is the problem, not the law-abiding citizens who actually pay for everything at the till. Consumed or not. The stores are not worried about the person who pays, they care about those who are stealing.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
The biggest problem is theft. These scum bags that eat and drink something and then discard the empty wrapper in the shop and walkout without paying.

In the end the cost of this is just passed onto the consumer.

Shops just need to ban this bad practice.

TysonRoux

Executive Member
I've seen many empty food container and wrappers left on the shelves, and the supermarket staff must see loads more, but they rightfully don't challenge people they see eating in the store, rather write it off and have all shoppers pay to cover it.

Swa

Honorary Master
THIS is the problem, not the law-abiding citizens who actually pay for everything at the till. Consumed or not. The stores are not worried about the person who pays, they care about those who are stealing.
The big problem is there's no way to know so now they have to follow someone around or just write it off in advance. If everybody did it that would mean a lot of extra staff. One way or another the rest of us end up paying for it so I don't see why there should be exceptions for some.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
The big problem is there's no way to know so now they have to follow someone around or just write it off in advance. If everybody did it that would mean a lot of extra staff. One way or another the rest of us end up paying for it so I don't see why there should be exceptions for some.
You know most of the shops these days have security cameras. Our local spar has more cameras than customers.

I'd wager it's easier to identify and track the progress of someone who snacks and runs than someone who quickly pockets an item.

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
You do know that retailers just add on an extra bit to cover all their losses.

Shrinkage is the loss of inventory that can be attributed to factors such as employee theft, shoplifting, administrative error, vendor fraud, damage in transit or in store, and cashier errors that benefit the customer.

Shrinkage is a part of every retail company, and businesses try to cover these potential losses by increasing the price of a product to account for losses in inventory.

binarycape

I posted a comment on FB a couple of weeks ago on just this subject, after buying a packet of sweets that I later found had been opened and part of the contents soggily eaten, the packet then twisted shut, presumably by a mother or older person, and put back in the tray by the tills. Everyone bar one mother said it was wrong to consume goods whilst shopping, whether you paid for it at the till or not. Said mother replied rather defensively she sees nothing wrong in it and always opens a juice for her son to drink whilst they are in the supermarket - and pays for it with her other shopping, commenting stupidly 'we are not all skellums'.. She missed my point totally in that I was saying that allowing kids especially to grow up thinking this is the right thing to do is wrong. It is not a big leap from doing this to not paying at all for the item and hiding the empty container or packet on a shelf. I am sure we have all seen such items whilst shopping. Someone commented on it above too. But the article does not go far enough because it does not cover this point nor the moral issue.

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
I posted a comment on FB a couple of weeks ago on just this subject, after buying a packet of sweets that I later found had been opened and part of the contents soggily eaten, the packet then twisted shut, presumably by a mother or older person, and put back in the tray by the tills. Everyone bar one mother said it was wrong to consume goods whilst shopping, whether you paid for it at the till or not. Said mother replied rather defensively she sees nothing wrong in it and always opens a juice for her son to drink whilst they are in the supermarket - and pays for it with her other shopping, commenting stupidly 'we are not all skellums'.. She missed my point totally in that I was saying that allowing kids especially to grow up thinking this is the right thing to do is wrong. It is not a big leap from doing this to not paying at all for the item and hiding the empty container or packet on a shelf. I am sure we have all seen such items whilst shopping. Someone commented on it above too. But the article does not go far enough because it does not cover this point nor the moral issue.
Um easy enough to teach your kids to be scrupulously careful about PAYING! And you know like not stealing, or raping, or using drugs, or being you know like a criminal.

Stevewarren

I open MyBroadband every day to see the latest in tech news. What is this waste of time article? Holy Hell, tell me why Azure is delayed not if I can eat something at the supermarket before paying.

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
Every single day, I pick up polony, sweet, cooldrink wrappers in the store...products STOLEN, not paid for, no renumeration, Theft...... People think it is all right to consume before paying, it is not.......

I have large signs at the entrance of the store stating this..... AND I will prosecute....

Dryden

I regularly share a bottle of water with the missus while we do our shopping. Guess I'm scum then

HowTo

Expert Member
I have done it, but paid for the water consumed. Specially during the heat wave.

Question should be ask who does not pay? Remark only.

Craig

Honorary Master
What happens when that happens at a petrol station? Which is why you carry around cash with you for just in case.

The minimum amount of cash you should carry around with you is depending on how much a full tank of fuel costs. As that is typically the maximum non returnable item purchase a person will typically make.
Happened to me once, when it came time to pay I realized my wallet is at home. Luckily it's the garage I always fill up at so they know my face and cars by now. Just went home to fetch my wallet and came back to pay.

That would have been a fck up had I been at another garage.