Eating food off the shelf before paying – what Woolworths, Pick n Pay, and Spar have to say

access

Executive Member
shops let people call someone to bring them money.. or they call someone for you that bring you jewellery.

ive taken a drink and drank it on a hot day or with a hangover, paid for it at the till after.

even the colddrink adverts have people drinking straight from the fridges with all shorts of **** happening in the process

Arthur

Honorary Master
The goods only become yours once payment is accepted.
Not unless that term is explicit or demonstrably implicit in the contract. Tens of thousands of perfectly valid contracts of sale and resultant transfers of ownership routinely take place every hour of every day in SA, and very many of them take place without the "acceptance of payment". Think of sales on terms. A retailer might well unilaterally elect to give her customers very short-term credit by saying "pay me in an hour" or "when you're back from the movies", or "tomorrow". This becomes an Accounts Receivable issue and not a matter of contract breach or theft or fraud.

There is no special or unique category (yet) of supermarket contracts of sale. Neither is there a category specifically for restaurants - the same law of contract applies. Think about when a valid contract comes into existence when you sit down at a restaurant and order a meal - and the time lapse between that and tendering payment.

In the normal course, the offer and acceptance at a supermarket are executed at the checkout/till - the patron offers to buy by presenting the item at checkout, and the checkout clerk accepts on behalf of the owner of the goods. A valid contract comes into being at the moment of acceptance. Only a while later does the shopper tender payment.

Last edited:

Swa

Honorary Master
Not unless that term is explicit or demonstrably implicit in the contract. Tens of thousands of perfectly valid contracts of sale and resultant transfers of ownership routinely take place every hour of every day in SA, and very many of them take place without the "acceptance of payment". Think of sales on terms. A retailer might well unilaterally elect to give her customers very short-term credit by saying "pay me in an hour" or "when you're back from the movies", or "tomorrow". This becomes an Accounts Receivable issue and not a matter of contract breach or theft or fraud.

There is no special or unique category (yet) of supermarket contracts of sale. Neither is there a category specifically for restaurants - the same law of contract applies. Think about when a valid contract comes into existence when you sit down at a restaurant and order a meal - and the time lapse between that and tendering payment.

In the normal course, the offer and acceptance at a supermarket are executed at the checkout/till - the patron offers to buy by presenting the item at checkout, and the checkout clerk accepts on behalf of the owner of the goods. A valid contract comes into being at the moment of acceptance. Only a while later does the shopper tender payment.
So that only reinforces that a contract only comes into existence once both parties accept. You can't force a shop into a contract. Until they accept there's only an invitation to do business, one they could also withdraw.

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
So that only reinforces that a contract only comes into existence once both parties accept. You can't force a shop into a contract. Until they accept there's only an invitation to do business, one they could also withdraw.
And until they have swarms of staff in the aisles and signs saying I may not do it, I will assume that the shops are happy I'm doing my monthly shopping there and enjoy the income derived from my custom and therefore do not see fit to harass me unnecessarily over a tin of coke I pay for when I leave.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Should I also show you the law saying you shouldn't murder?
Oh good grief, now the pre-paid consumers are murderers? Things have escalated quickly......

/sips Coke in aisle 5

RedViking

Nord of the South
And until they have swarms of staff in the aisles and signs saying I may not do it, I will assume that the shops are happy I'm doing my monthly shopping there and enjoy the income derived from my custom and therefore do not see fit to harass me unnecessarily over a tin of coke I pay for when I leave.
Mind you, our local Spar who doesn't accept card for under R20 has a hand written sign at the door saying 'please do not consume food or drinks before paying for it'. They didn't say we can't touch the fresh rolls and bread that is displayed in the open though.....

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
It's a sign of the times, we live in a society of people who want instant gratification and there is no such thing as patience anymore. People think they're entitled to take what they want, when they want it and screw everyone else.
Sign of the times? Please, people have been snacking in store since forever. Even my gran did it habitually.

EDIT: I guess the difference is back then there wasn't the internet so we didn't have to listen to people whine incessantly about it.

Last edited:

diesel

Expert Member
SHould not be allowed and i believe people that do this will take a chance and drop the empty wrapper or bottle somewhere in the store and not pay. Property belongs to the supermarket until paid for.

OnlyOneKenobi

Sign of the times? Please, people have been snacking in store since forever. Even my gran did it habitually.
If you say so. Clearly, it has become a more common occurrence these days if we're seeing articles about it.

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
SHould not be allowed and i believe people that do this will take a chance and drop the empty wrapper or bottle somewhere in the store and not pay. Property belongs to the supermarket until paid for.
What nonsense. Criminals steal, and not because they wanted a snack, they walked into the store with the intent to steal. The rest of us have a drink or something and pay for it.

Aquila ka Hecate

Executive Member

EDIT: I guess the difference is back then there wasn't the internet so we didn't have to listen to people whine incessantly about it.
Jesus - both my grans would've dropped dead from mortification if seen eating in a grocer.

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
Jesus - both my grans would've dropped dead from mortification if seen eating in a grocer.
Must be a weird class thing then, because my mom would give us kids stuff to eat in the shops to occupy us during the interminable shopping (and not everyone has the benefit of having the free time / child minders to do it without kids) and the wrappers would go in the trolley to pay with the rest of the shopping. Anyone has been forced by circumstance to shop with a grizzly child knows the value of giving them a drink, or something to eat while shopping helps make the entire process bearable for everyone including the other shoppers.

eg2505

Honorary Master
shouldn't be allowed, ever ,
problem is many supermarkets turn a blind eye to it to, in the hopes of appearing more "lenient" as to not turn away customers.

as its a delicate act of balancing, wants and desires.

EADC

Executive Member
In today's world of tap and go, cardless cash withdrawal there is no reason to not pay.

Aquila ka Hecate

Executive Member
Must be a weird class thing then, because my mom would give us kids stuff to eat in the shops to occupy us during the interminable shopping (and not everyone has the benefit of having the free time / child minders to do it without kids) and the wrappers would go in the trolley to pay with the rest of the shopping. Anyone has been forced by circumstance to shop with a grizzly child knows the value of giving them a drink, or something to eat while shopping helps make the entire process bearable for everyone including the other shoppers.
I never grizzled while shopping with my parents and neither did my son. Maybe it is a weird class thing at that.

But seriously - why don't parents make sure children are fed and watered before taking them into the supermarket?
This is what I just don't get. The lack of spannungsbogen is a bit alarming.