eBucks: is it possible to save enough of them to cover my petrol costs going forward

marlin178

Expert Member
Hi all,

A bit of a long winded question here to bear with me...

I double checked that eBucks don't expire (currently), assuming this remains the same- it led me to thinking about the possibility of accumulating enough eBucks so that I can use eBucks to pay for my petrol going forward without depleting them.
Kind of like accumulating enough capital so that you can live off the interest without having to dig into your capital.

On average, I earn about R170 worth of eBucks per month and my car uses 2 tanks per month at around R650 per tank.

I'm not too concerned about the change in petrol prices etc as I'm just trying to use averages to keep this simple.

My calculation worked out that I would need to save eBucks for 4 months to give me 1 "free tank" (R170 x 4 = R680).

I would therefore need to duplicate this to give me R1360 worth of eBucks which would give me 2 "free tanks". This would take me 8 months in total to save.

I continued doing this and worked out that I would need to save for 8 years (96 months) to give me 1 full years’ worth of fuel (24 tanks).

Question is: how many more months would I need to carry on saving to prevent eating into my eBucks (capital).... and to allow this to become self sustaining?

Feel free to correct any errors mentioned above.

marlin178

Expert Member
Huh? eBucks don't earn interest so how would it ever become self sustaining?
I know this, I'm using interest as an example to explain my thinking... Most people understand the concept of saving enough capital so that you can live off the interest without digging into the capital.

Think of the interest as my additional eBucks monthly earn which is being added to the pot.

I want to accumulate enough eBucks so that when I use them, I won't deplete my existing ones.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I know this, I'm using interest as an example to explain my thinking... Most people understand the concept of saving enough capital so that you can live off the interest without digging into the capital.

Think of the interest as my additional eBucks monthly earn which is being added to the pot.

I want to accumulate enough eBucks so that when I use them, I won't deplete my existing ones.
Since they don't earn interest you can never accumulate enough to do what you want, you will deplete them.

Eti1

Expert Member

Just swipe for your fuel and use ebucks at 40% off to buy food/tech/appliances/whatever.

Not quite what you asked, but as said before, using ebucks at face value is not great.

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
If you are not on reward level 5, discount vouchers wouldn't be much of a benefit to you and then the next best thing would be to sell your ebucks for cash.

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
Just swipe for your fuel and use ebucks at 40% off to buy food/tech/appliances/whatever.

Not quite what you asked, but as said before, using ebucks at face value is not great.
I doubt anyone getting R170 worth of ebucks per month is on level 5 and qualifies for 40% off.
Most probably why the discount vouchers doesn't appeal to OP

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Hi all,

A bit of a long winded question here to bear with me...

I double checked that eBucks don't expire (currently), assuming this remains the same- it led me to thinking about the possibility of accumulating enough eBucks so that I can use eBucks to pay for my petrol going forward without depleting them.
Kind of like accumulating enough capital so that you can live off the interest without having to dig into your capital.

On average, I earn about R170 worth of eBucks per month and my car uses 2 tanks per month at around R650 per tank.

I'm not too concerned about the change in petrol prices etc as I'm just trying to use averages to keep this simple.

My calculation worked out that I would need to save eBucks for 4 months to give me 1 "free tank" (R170 x 4 = R680).

I would therefore need to duplicate this to give me R1360 worth of eBucks which would give me 2 "free tanks". This would take me 8 months in total to save.

I continued doing this and worked out that I would need to save for 8 years (96 months) to give me 1 full years’ worth of fuel (24 tanks).

Question is: how many more months would I need to carry on saving to prevent eating into my eBucks (capital).... and to allow this to become self sustaining?

Feel free to correct any errors mentioned above.
You would need to earn 13 000 ebucks a month, that is the only way to pay for R1300pm worth of fuel. That is all, thxbai.

Last edited:

You'll have to earn the amount of eBucks you spend every month

You would need to earn 13 000 ebucks a month, that is the only way to pay for R1300 worth of fuel. That is all, thxbai.
That ^^^

F1 Fan

Expert Member

Very confused by your post. The only way you won't deplete, is if you earn back the exact amount you intend on using in that month?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
If we assume you have another 40 years to live you'll need to save for roughly 34 years to get 8.5 years of eBucks paid petrol bliss.

Provided inflation doesn't make any considerable difference in the petrol price or your eBucks earnings.

Now you know.

Speedster

Executive Member
Or sell me your eBucks every month - that'll help pay for your fuel :whistling:

marlin178

Expert Member
Thanks for the feedback...

Some of you will think I'm mad/deranged or doff :D but I'm on a mission.

BTW: I'm not selling them or buying a scooter ;)