Eczema is killing me this year!

srothman

Expert Member
I usually get a flair up of eczema around this time of the year, and usually I can manage it with some E45 cream or Biocort. This year, however, it is exceptionally bad, and none of these seem to work.

Any suggestions on something to try, short of going to the doctor for prescription meds? Anything OTC will be awesome.

Thanks

Trompie67

Expert Member
Bennets baby bum cream. Laugh all you want. (It is worth a laugh). It works.

dadecoza

Expert Member
I have struggled with eczema all my life and I would not wish it on anyone! Everyone seems to have a remedy and try to force some weird oil or cream on you. I have tried many things over the years and there is only one thing that works almost immediately and that is cortisone.

Unfortunately you will have to go to the doctor for a prescription but a course of prednisone will sort you out.

Doctors will tell you long term use of cortisone is not good for you but I will take my chances. It is better than feeling you are going to die every time you walk into the shower. :p

Good luck!

srothman

Expert Member
I have struggled with eczema all my life and I would not wish it on anyone! Everyone seems to have a remedy and try to force some weird oil or cream on you. I have tried many things over the years and there is only one thing that works almost immediately and that is cortisone.

Unfortunately you will have to go to the doctor for a prescription but a course of prednisone will sort you out.

Doctors will tell you long term use of cortisone is not good for you but I will take my chances. It is better than feeling you are going to die every time you walk into the shower.

Good luck!
It really is the worst! I had severe flair ups when I was younger, and since it has calmed down, but winter's still remind me I have it, and it is exceptionally bad this time round.

Will pop around the doc and get a course of Cortisone. He gave me some a while ago which helped, so I figured it is probably where it'll end up.

Gezza

Expert Member
Advantan cream works well for me. Take a bath with a bit of epsom salt in the water. Dry off and apply sparingly. It's a steroid cream so wash your hands afterwards. It won't make you grow muscles btw.

Advantan is usualy prescription only but I've been able to get it over the counter from non franchised pharmacies.

rwenzori

Honorary Master
My son used to get it. What helped clear it, believe it or not, was to mix a lot of salt in a hot bath regularly - like 250g or so.

The_MAC

Executive Member
Don't shoot the messenger, but I have heard of people having long term success by going gluten-free

cn@

Expert Member
What worked for me was Vaseline petroleum jelly.

And no, it's not for shagging up the pooper.

Pitbull

Verboten
Pevisone cream!!!

I don't have eczema but do get a rash on my inner thighs from time to time. You need a prescription and it's expensive but GWD IT WORKS!

PotatoGuardian

Don't shoot the messenger, but I have heard of people having long term success by going gluten-free
100% worked for me. Had the worst eczema where at one point it was weeping. It got so bad that I had to wear pajamas under all my clothes because everything else was too rough. Tried epizone, Dovate, advanten, bees wax, cortisone injections, UV treatment. Everything worked temporarily and then it came back with a vengeance.

Started banting which automatically excludes gluten and ever since then it's gone. My scars are also fading a bit. I don't even remember when last I had to use any cortisone type cream.

PotatoGuardian

I can also recommend getting a cream with menthol in it. it's somewhere near the epimax etc in dischem or clicks. It really helps calm down the itching. Also cut your nails as short as possible.

Bathing in olive or coconut oil can also alleviate some of the itching but it will be temporary.

Try Rupanese, over the counter allergy tab

SaoirseB

Expert Member
I usually get a flair up of eczema around this time of the year, and usually I can manage it with some E45 cream or Biocort. This year, however, it is exceptionally bad, and none of these seem to work.

Any suggestions on something to try, short of going to the doctor for prescription meds? Anything OTC will be awesome.

Thanks
Go to a homeopath. I struggled during my teens and early twenties with Ezcema until I went to one when someone recommended him to me. He did a test with a snippet of my hair and told me what foods (which surprisingly included unprocessed foods so it's not just a matter of staying away from only processed foods) caused and aggravated my ezcema. He also told me I had an under active liver which didn't clean up the toxins in my body like it's supposed to and gave me herbal drops to use. I have been cured ever since. Find one who can tell you the actual food causing the problems and have your liver checked out.

Use it, don't use it.

Doctors will tell you long term use of cortisone is not good for you but I will take my chances. It is better than feeling you are going to die every time you walk into the shower. :p

Good luck!
The doctors are right about the long term uses. I was also on cortisones for years and it isn't good for you. This is my personal opinion, but I think it contributed to my eczema. Yes I got temporary relief, but over time I felt like it made my skin thinner than it was supposed to be and made it so sensitive that certain material of clothes made me feel like my clothes were filled with those tiny hairs on prickly pears. Although the itching would stop, the raw skin from scratching didn't heal either. It's relief now, but it's going to come back and bite you hard.

You need to stop using it and take my advice to srothman. Laugh here if you want to, but you have nothing to lose by going to see that homeopath. The only thing I have to say is I've only ever consulted one homeopath so I don't know if they all practice the same way or not.