Edcon employee dismissed for calling Jacob Zuma a 'monkey' in Facebook rant

Daruk

Honorary Master
It will be that way for a while still. The courts will have to figure it all out. I am bitterly disappointed though that the courts have granted politicians more rights with regards to speech than a normal member of the public. It should be the other way around.
Kings and queens.

lowriderza

Expert Member
Is it because you cant be racist without consequences?
Even in the USA there is consequences for being racist. An arsehole is an arsehole even if you wax and bleach it. Hope I didn't misunderstand your question/ comment.

EADC

Expert Member
Even in the USA there is consequences for being racist. An arsehole is an arsehole even if you wax and bleach it. Hope I didn't misunderstand your question/ comment.
Then your free speech post is null and void and this is a consequence of being racist.

Free speech does not mean free from consequences.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Then your free speech post is null and void and this is a consequence of being racist.

You haven't answered my question about how it was racist.

lowriderza

Expert Member

Actually if that is your take on the differences of free speech from around the world then I will stand by my comment and respectfully disagree with yours.

I prefer as little intervention from Goverment or the Judiciary as possible between people. That is because for one thing taking offense is very subjective. Secondly, if somebody throws a racist slur my way I want the right to deal with it my way. I would rather resolve the issue or if that is not possible tell the person to go fly a kite around a cliff's edge.

EADC

Expert Member
You haven't answered my question about how it was racist.
Why you have been here long enough this has been done over and over, I am not here to cure you of your ignorance.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Why you have been here long enough this has been done over and over, I am not here to cure you of your ignorance.
Poor attempt at deflection. How was it racist? Nobody was singled out, so how can you bring race into the matter? Or are you suggesting that the use of the word monkeys means you should assume she was targeting black government staff... which in itself is racist. You do know white, indian and coloured people work for government, right?

Daruk

Honorary Master
:laugh: cool story bro
That's as good an argument you can muster? You're not able to articulate the details of what you mean?
This is government meddling, plain and simple.

cheesus

Actually a real-life monkey can be trained to speak sign-language if only we can get our government officials to do something that useful.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
yeah, but she's white...
Employer probably felt employee brought the company into disrepute. A government employee was dismissed for calling a white person "you white people" not-so-long ago. Employers don't tolerate highly offensive language in many instances.

Shaun108

Executive Member
Thread title is misleading. The lady did not call Zumasepoes a monkey.