Edgars could close 1,300 stores and cut 40,000 jobs

supersunbird

Honorary Master
That's a lot of employees

When I go past Edgars it always seems to empty. The stuff in there doesn't appeal to me. I go to Mr P or Woolies rather.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Why is CNA still open?

Mall owners going to really feel it when they go under , Edcon probably rent at least 20% of retail space in malls. They getting away with murder with their rental prices, in fact this may cause several smaller malls to shutdown

Last edited:

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Weren’t they bailed out already? Like 2-3 yrs ago
They must have did the SEO thing and not restructured adequately while they could with the bailouts help, except in the private sector there are not continuous bailouts.

access

Executive Member
the last time i was at an edgars i walked out without buying anything.

7 store people standing in a group chatting close to the entrance, nobody assisted for a few minutes.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Why is CNA still open?

Mall owners going to really feel it when they go under , Edcon probably rent at least 20% of retail space in malls. They getting away with murder with their rental prices, in fact this may cause several smaller malls to shutdown
CNA will also fall when Edgar's goes because they use the same account.

One store, separate divisions.

EMAM

Honorary Master
My ex supplies them and it's a biyatch getting them to pay - always cash flow problems

Arzy

Honorary Master
I don't see why this is only news now. We had Edcon as a group case study 20 years ago while I was still studying. The requirement for each group was to give an opinion on the viability of the business and make suggestions on a way forward.

7 out of 10 groups simply said the company was doomed then already due to the outdated business model.