Edgars could close 1,300 stores and cut 40,000 jobs

DreamKing

Executive Member
Unions are here to stay I'm afraid. Management must just find a way to deal with them.

Small players can get away with sidelining unionised employees, but that's a source of many unnecessary trips to the CCMA.
that is the result of most of the companies / investors don't want to stay. ;)

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
I have a cousin who works in Edcon apparently thier company culture is very toxic. A lot of backstabbing, staff bullying etc.
If you ever want to see a toxic work environment, you need to look at places like Unisa. SRC's and unions coming in simply taking offices and moving their own people into certain positions. HR needs to deal with the admin afterwards. Companies like this have no control over what is going on in their organizations. Those who resist are dealt with violently and will never be able to return.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I am not being defensive at all.

Truworths are not faring well themselves under the current economical climate. Have not fared well the past 5 years at all. This year, on the JSE they took a tremendous knock. They are heading the same route if they do not adapt to a changing economy.
Share price is not necessarily a good indication of how well a business is doing.

It’s a simple indication of supply and demand and not necessarily operation.

Lucas Buck

Expert Member
I remember when edgars used to be the place where students could work to earn pocket money. There was always someone in each clothing section available to assist customers. These days the only person on the floor seems to be the security guard, while the rest of the staff seem to work behind the counter.

Frequent visitor

Expert Member
I remember when edgars used to be the place where students could work to earn pocket money. There was always someone in each clothing section available to assist customers. These days the only person on the floor seems to be the security guard, while the rest of the staff seem to work behind the counter.
My domestic assistant a few years ago had an account at Jet stores. She found out that a so called air-time supplier was debiting her Jet account without permission for airtime she did not want, did not order, and did not receive. (Sound familiar?) Edcon, who ran the account refused point blank to deal with it, including when I spoke to them. They maintained it had to be sorted out by me with the 'supplier'. They refused point blank to provide an authorisation from my friend. I eventually got a refund from the company concerned, and my friend closed her account and never went near any Edgar group store again.

Just one more reason why Edgars is in difficulty. The difficulty is well deserved on that experience.

As the staff who gave her the runaround at the enquiry desk were just as culpable, I can see no reason to bail them out. They do not deserve jobs.

Frequent visitor

Expert Member
Their very average clothing was horrendously over-priced.
They should fire their economists.
They had no clue what kind of prices their market could support.
But it didn't matter to them because they opened an account (or in some cases - several accounts) for every citizen in SA no matter their income or how many times they had already been garnished.

You can't run a business like that, it is not a charity.
Nor is it legally permissible.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Egdars is one of the biggest conerstones of name brand price fixing/extortion loosely termed "brand value". Why do you think name brands are the same price wherever you go?

Additionally, you can't sell a name brand if you are not a registered direct customer. Registration as a customer is further geographically limited.

Mampara

Their clothing are overpriced and their stores are too large to be properly managed.

Mampara

Some woolies stores are as large
Yes Woolies is large but properly managed. Staff standing around chatting and not helping customers especially clothing side. The makeup and cosmetics side customer service seem to be good but expensive.

Sean008

Expert Member
I believe the group was over-burdened with debt by Bain. Refinancing costs, etc

skimread

Executive Member
I believe the group was over-burdened with debt by Bain. Refinancing costs, etc
I can't believe people are blaming Edgar's possible closing down on staff chatting.

I think the malls will take the deal as they don't have retailers that large that can take Edgars place and they will need time to subdivide that large space into smaller stores if they don't take the deal.

RonSwanson

Expert Member
Another success story ruined by silly management decisions to charge a flat fee just to have an account, useless AA employees, completely incapable of assisting or understanding clients, picking their noses and then handling clothing. How can anyone ever want to support Edgars?

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Another success story ruined by silly management decisions to charge a flat fee just to have an account, useless AA employees, completely incapable of assisting or understanding clients, picking their noses and then handling clothing. How can anyone ever want to support Edgars?
Edcon was ruined by poor management. Employee lethargy is a result of poor management.

Last edited:

GTiDon

Edgars is billing me for mobile data for more than a year which I did not sign up for and I have been trying to cancel it for a year.
How can I get this resolved and my money refunded. This is theft.