Edgars could close 1,300 stores and cut 40,000 jobs

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Edgars is billing me for mobile data for more than a year which I did not sign up for and I have been trying to cancel it for a year.
How can I get this resolved and my money refunded. This is theft.
How are they billing you? Debit order? Or do you have an Edgars account that they add it onto?

ɹǝuuᴉM

Expert Member
I work for one of the big retailers, some will know who. But imo there are just way too many Edgars stores who are not profitable. Why shut down the business completely, when you can just reduce the number of stores, and keep those who are still profitable.

It's a lack of proper structure at top level, that allowed the business to deteriorate over time
Yeah, it is called AffirmativeAction employment. Years and years of AA are beginning to bear fruit. Why are some forumites surprised?

ɹǝuuᴉM

Expert Member
Another success story ruined by silly management decisions to charge a flat fee just to have an account, useless AA employees, completely incapable of assisting or understanding clients, picking their noses and then handling clothing. How can anyone ever want to support Edgars?
Do you have a pic?

dunkyd

Expert Member
Self inflicted.
Used to be the only place to shop.
Haven't bought anything there for your about 10 years due to the pathetic service and attitude towards customers in general.
Staff noise levels higher than a shebeen on a Saturday night.....

krycor

Honorary Master
Why is CNA still open?

Mall owners going to really feel it when they go under , Edcon probably rent at least 20% of retail space in malls. They getting away with murder with their rental prices, in fact this may cause several smaller malls to shutdown
So if you look at developed/ing markets (in some sense SA is nearer developed) mall culture is dying and dying fast. It’s weird that we have malls springing up in SA at the moment when the future of these places are not great.

The problem with Edcon is simple. Their business model is outdated and did not adapt with the economical challenges South Africa is currently being faced with. A lack of experience, skills and management abilities saw the company not taking any appropriate steps to prevent this issue after their previous setback a few years ago.

The only big question to ask is are there any people left in South Africa that can be employed by the Edcon group to turn the company around?

Also, like I said in a previous post, with the economy in decline for a prolonged period of time, this is the road all private companies will go eventually.
Edcon I reckon can be turned around but they’d still need to close shop at most places, try and salvage itself in online store with limited strategic stores and a hell of a marketing play. That can easily work out I think and reduce costs.. but also risky.. not that keeping stores open at a loss is any better.

The question about good people is a tough one.. in a broader sense over the past years the number of technically capable people I find management or senior skilled positions in many companies has dwindled drastically.

Now it’s like you will come across 1-2 per company/dept and then they overworked too because either the rest of staff not pulling weight or poor management skill. If you find 3+ you will see the company is doing great.. 1-2 pending size they are struggling. It’s scary looking at skilled emigration impact on SA economy and I think it’s gonna get a lot worse till late next year when globally things slow down.

Which others are doing fairly well?
I'm not aware of any ZA company doing fairly well (perhaps banks).
Certainly does not reflect in the stock market.

See:
https://www.fin24.com/Economy/the-year-2018-cements-worst-five-year-period-for-the-jse-20181214

I do agree that Edcon is in ICU.
ZA economy is in recession and it looks like Edcon does not have enuf reserves to survive.
ZA people don't have disposable income to spend.

Just had a look at my Pension fund and it's ugly, can't even keep up with money market:
View attachment 593684
Why I’m not keen on staying in SA, we a sinking ship it’s just a question of how fast we go down. Next year will be interesting as post elections and Q3 when the crap starts hitting the fan in developed markets money will come back into SA but the skilled folk will be mostly gone so interesting 2-3 yrs ahead for those that remain here.

How many companies in South Africa has Bain ****ed up. Here I thought it was limited to state companies.
This consulting form is interesting.. they have awesome reputation elsewhere but in SA they seem to have a really bad one. Not sure because the handful people I come across working there, work abroad or maybe it’s that they use the good ones for abroad and others for SA with oversight (which isn’t working)?

access

Executive Member
If there is one sphere of the industry where unions are weak it must be in the retail and hospitality industry, when last did you hear about a big strike in those sectors that compares to the strike in other sectors? It is usually the odd PicknPay one that never amounts to anything and no one even notices that there is a strike. As you have said yourself you know a couple of places that do not employ if unionised, the fact that those places can get away with that just shows you how weak organised Labour is over there.
i just searched for, edgars workers unions, quick. looks like they have a long history of union woes, but you are right, not a lot of it in the media or known.

i was just wondering if they have been battered and bruised by the unions. just because there werent any big news stories does not mean that many smaller cases can not wear store staff down after time.. everyone puts on smiles when head office is on site. want to keep their jobs.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
i just searched for, edgars workers unions, quick. looks like they have a long history of union woes, but you are right, not a lot of it in the media or known.

i was just wondering if they have been battered and bruised by the unions. just because there werent any big news stories does not mean that many smaller cases can not wear store staff down after time.. everyone puts on smiles when head office is on site. want to keep their jobs.
You mean employees at other retailers aren't unionised? Their woes are management's own doing. They've now lost market share and it's evident. Due to their market position in their past, they should've been early adopters of ecommerce.

Look at similar stores in the US.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
So if you look at developed/ing markets (in some sense SA is nearer developed) mall culture is dying and dying fast. It’s weird that we have malls springing up in SA at the moment when the future of these places are not great.

Edcon I reckon can be turned around but they’d still need to close shop at most places, try and salvage itself in online store with limited strategic stores and a hell of a marketing play. That can easily work out I think and reduce costs.. but also risky.. not that keeping stores open at a loss is any better.

The question about good people is a tough one.. in a broader sense over the past years the number of technically capable people I find management or senior skilled positions in many companies has dwindled drastically.

Now it’s like you will come across 1-2 per company/dept and then they overworked too because either the rest of staff not pulling weight or poor management skill. If you find 3+ you will see the company is doing great.. 1-2 pending size they are struggling. It’s scary looking at skilled emigration impact on SA economy and I think it’s gonna get a lot worse till late next year when globally things slow down.

Why I’m not keen on staying in SA, we a sinking ship it’s just a question of how fast we go down. Next year will be interesting as post elections and Q3 when the crap starts hitting the fan in developed markets money will come back into SA but the skilled folk will be mostly gone so interesting 2-3 yrs ahead for those that remain here.

This consulting form is interesting.. they have awesome reputation elsewhere but in SA they seem to have a really bad one. Not sure because the handful people I come across working there, work abroad or maybe it’s that they use the good ones for abroad and others for SA with oversight (which isn’t working)?
Online stores are still more of a long play in South Africa. More immediately they literally need to cut their stores by at least 50% , the best way is consolidate Jet, CNA etc into a their Edgar's stores, most Edgar's stores are Gigantic and a waste of space anyway so it wouldn't be an issue. In fact they should downsize the Edgar's stores also. This process will still cost at least 20,000 jobs though.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Which others are doing fairly well?
I'm not aware of any ZA company doing fairly well (perhaps banks).
Certainly does not reflect in the stock market.
Stock prices can be a reflection of a company's value or performance, but markets are also fickle.

If there is one sphere of the industry where unions are weak it must be in the retail and hospitality industry, when last did you hear about a big strike in those sectors that compares to the strike in other sectors? It is usually the odd PicknPay one that never amounts to anything and no one even notices that there is a strike. As you have said yourself you know a couple of places that do not employ if unionised, the fact that those places can get away with that just shows you how weak organised Labour is over there.
It is possible that Pick n Pay, among others, has a better relationship with their employees. Perhaps they don't view and treat their employees as equipment to be used up and discarded in the name of profit.

Without union protection vulnerable employees find themselves being forced to work long hours without additional compensation, denied sick and annual leave, and being summarily dismissed when it suits the employer. They also find that without union assistance getting relief via the relevant authorities is an arduous process that they can ill afford. I'm all for those employers being rooted out and made an example of.

no. ban unions.

i know(knew) of places that do not employ if unionised too.. precisely because of this
Then you must also ban companies. There is no reason one side should be allowed to negotiate as a collective, viz. companies, while employees are forced to do so individually. Unions came into existence because companies in general take every opportunity to abuse and exploit employees. They brought unions on themselves, and now you have both sides with an us vs them mentality.

And there should be a vigorous crackdown on companies that discriminate against the unionised.

Frequent visitor

Expert Member
Edgars is billing me for mobile data for more than a year which I did not sign up for and I have been trying to cancel it for a year.
How can I get this resolved and my money refunded. This is theft.
In my domestic's case it was Jet, but the same account system. Edgar's just refer you to the 'provider' who gives you the runaround. It took ages but we got a refund, but not of the interest. If you know the debiting company I might be able to give you some contacts, but it was a while ago. You need to hurry, in case they go bust.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
This is a Republican associated business owned by a group known to be vulture capitalists.

Last edited:

daveza

Honorary Master
Zero sympathy for both management and staff.

If you employ the cheapest labour who can't even spell customer service then take what's coming.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Zero sympathy for both management and staff.

If you employ the cheapest labour who can't even spell customer service then take what's coming.
Retailers employ labour from the same pool. What's different is senior people at head office.