Edgars could close 1,300 stores and cut 40,000 jobs

genetic

Honorary Master
Zero sympathy for both management and staff.

If you employ the cheapest labour who can't even spell customer service then take what's coming.
I'm glad I don't work for someone like you. Your brush is thicker than your mouth.

DXL

Expert Member
Why is CNA still open?

Mall owners going to really feel it when they go under , Edcon probably rent at least 20% of retail space in malls. They getting away with murder with their rental prices, in fact this may cause several smaller malls to shutdown
I agree with you.
This happened in America.
Many many Ghost Malls all over USA.

R13...

Honorary Master
This is a Republican associated business owned by a group known to be vulture capitalists.
They'd probably hoped to fix and sell on at a handsome profit but it obviously didn't pan out as planned.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
They'd probably hoped to fix and sell on at a handsome profit but it obviously didn't pan out as planned.
Or they gutted it of any assets they needed and flogged off anything that they didnt feel they need. They dont care about jobs. Just profit.

skimread

Executive Member
I agree with you.
This happened in America.
Many many Ghost Malls all over USA.
Sure maybe the medium sized malls or malls where there is a bigger mall close by will suffer but the large malls like Menlyn will always be popular. Due to people not walking outside in the streets due to security or being harassed the very big malls are actually one of the few places you can go to and get exercise.

access

Executive Member
You mean employees at other retailers aren't unionised? Their woes are management's own doing. They've now lost market share and it's evident. Due to their market position in their past, they should've been early adopters of ecommerce.

indeed they are behind. i was wondering with regards to the poor service/attitude remarks ive seen around.

Look at similar stores in the US.
Then you must also ban companies. There is no reason one side should be allowed to negotiate as a collective, viz. companies, while employees are forced to do so individually. Unions came into existence because companies in general take every opportunity to abuse and exploit employees. They brought unions on themselves, and now you have both sides with an us vs them mentality.

And there should be a vigorous crackdown on companies that discriminate against the unionised.
what. ok so like labour brokers. lol

yes there are those that abuse employees. just like there are those that abuse employers.

why are you discriminating against the un unionised. unions need to be toned down a lot and held accountable for their members actions.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Sure maybe the medium sized malls or malls where there is a bigger mall close by will suffer but the large malls like Menlyn will always be popular. Due to people not walking outside in the streets due to security or being harassed the very big malls are actually one of the few places you can go to and get exercise.
People getting lazy these days don't be sure about that

DreamKing

Executive Member
Then you must also ban companies. There is no reason one side should be allowed to negotiate as a collective, viz. companies, while employees are forced to do so individually. Unions came into existence because companies in general take every opportunity to abuse and exploit employees. They brought unions on themselves, and now you have both sides with an us vs them mentality.
I really don't understand why "companies take every opportunity to abuse and exploit employees".

1) employers see their employees are the most valuable assets for their companies. if no, those are not valuable assets . what will you do with your rubbishes? I worked for so many employers before, no one wanted me to leave, they just wanted to rise my salary as high as possible to keep me to work for them.

2) if you assume all the companies are bad for their employees, so why you are not going to start your own? why you want to work with your enemies? (don't tell me you can't.)

3) unions have thousands of members and resources, laws are heavily protecting employees, how can a small business owner can negotiate with them? who is more likely to be abused?

4) why the wages / benefits for an employee must be the same as the other employee? are they robots? they are all the same? for what reason the union can negotiate with the employer for all the employees with the same benefits / wages?

5) for the past 20 years+, the fact is, companies take every opportunity to abuse and exploit employees or the other way round?

please explain.

ɹǝuuᴉM

Expert Member
I am not at all surprised by your comments, very much expected that your racism cannot allow you to see anything else.
Racist is the one who supports the appointment of people according to their skin color! #LeaveWithIt

ɹǝuuᴉM

Expert Member
Seems like the guys are just that desperate to blame AA employees for everything, funny thing is that AA employees are everywhere, from McDonalds to Edgars, yetbitbis only Edgars being brought down by AA employees?
Given enough time everything will crumble. #SoSad

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Racist is the one who supports the appointment of people according to their skin color! #LeaveWithIt
What would you do if, while 37k ft above the Indian ocean, you discover the cockpit is manned by sub-saharans™? Or you discover your girlfriend banged a sub-saharan™ before she met you?

Wag

Expert Member
Wrong with the "giving it time", we are already a proper and proud african country.

thechamp

Honorary Master
What would you do if, while 37k ft above the Indian ocean, you discover the cockpit is manned by sub-saharans™? Or you discover your girlfriend banged a sub-saharan™ before she met you?
Oh dear! :ROFL:

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I really don't understand why "companies take every opportunity to abuse and exploit employees".

1) employers see their employees are the most valuable assets for their companies. if no, those are not valuable assets . what will you do with your rubbishes? I worked for so many employers before, no one wanted me to leave, they just wanted to rise my salary as high as possible to keep me to work for them.

2) if you assume all the companies are bad for their employees, so why you are not going to start your own? why you want to work with your enemies? (don't tell me you can't.)

3) unions have thousands of members and resources, laws are heavily protecting employees, how can a small business owner can negotiate with them? who is more likely to be abused?

4) why the wages / benefits for an employee must be the same as the other employee? are they robots? they are all the same? for what reason the union can negotiate with the employer for all the employees with the same benefits / wages?

5) for the past 20 years+, the fact is, companies take every opportunity to abuse and exploit employees or the other way round?

please explain.
Because managers are people and some are just aholes, also owners can be aholes and just bad greedy people, so there is that.

surface

Executive Member
Correct. Thank you for the correcțion. This is an important thread. We should not let it die. #ThreadBump
I admire your fighting spirit. Your parents & grandparents fought for injustices in pre-94 era and you are fighting for injustices post-94 era. World can never thank you enough.