Edgars could close 1,300 stores and cut 40,000 jobs

R13...

Honorary Master
Trust intel to turn a discussion on the failure of a company due to the company's inability to manage its debt, poor economy, and bad overall management into a discussion about race. #notracisteh

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
I went to Edgars a few months back to buy some tshirts... until I saw the prices where R500 to R700 for a TSHIRT ??

Then I went to woolies and got 2 for R100 :p
Well if you're going to look for Polo and Guess shirts, expect to pay those prices, it's not determined by Edgars. You'd pay pretty much the same at a Polo/Guess outlet. (Brands used as example)

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
At my age I don't find that funny!

Sorry to see Blackburn struggling after last season. Sympathies mate.
We are not struggling.. We were promoted last sesson from league 1, and sit in 9th or 10th in the Championship. Not too bad for our return season. Only 10 points off the top. Some silly draws, means we are there now.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Well if you're going to look for Polo and Guess shirts, expect to pay those prices, it's not determined by Edgars. You'd pay pretty much the same at a Polo/Guess outlet. (Brands used as example)
Exactly what I said earlier - Edgars is a pillar post in brand price "extortion" from the man on the street.

flippakitten

Expert Member
I prefer shopping at PEP, the clothes are much cheaper and last longer. If you go to the Pep's in malls frequented by rich people, the queues are also very short. It's beautiful and fits perfectly with my hatred of shopping. In out, minimal selection, low cost and only have to do it every year or two.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Edgar's has a huge markup that is why they can have these 2 for the price of one sales etc. Then Edgar's have their own brands with the same market with inferior quality.

dlk001

Executive Member
This is the time of the year where I usually do my shopping for clothes. Descent deals. I went to Hydraulics Menlyn and got myself a Philipp Plein Sneakers at a massive 70% discount compared to that 30% Black Friday nonsense.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
I had my Edcon experience this weekend. At Kenilworth in Cape Town the CNA has closed down. I went into Edgars for clothing and didn't find a single staff member on the floor.

At the tills, I was told that since my purchase has a red dot sticker on it, I get 20% off. That's cool, but I didn't see the advert anywhere in store to drive sales. The discount also had to be manually done and required a supervisor.

I then wanted to use my Edcon thank u points (which I had collected from Engen purchases) to pay. Instead of simply swiping the Edcon card and telling me how much I still owed, they have to check the balance on the card, write the amount down and then swipe the card again to to pay that amount.

They really need to work on their systems.

animehero

Expert Member
I had my Edcon experience this weekend. At Kenilworth in Cape Town the CNA has closed down. I went into Edgars for clothing and didn't find a single staff member on the floor.

At the tills, I was told that since my purchase has a red dot sticker on it, I get 20% off. That's cool, but I didn't see the advert anywhere in store to drive sales. The discount also had to be manually done and required a supervisor.

I then wanted to use my Edcon thank u points (which I had collected from Engen purchases) to pay. Instead of simply swiping the Edcon card and telling me how much I still owed, they have to check the balance on the card, write the amount down and then swipe the card again to to pay that amount.

They really need to work on their systems.
I think CNA has closed in most shopping centres.
The only one I saw in operation is at Canal Walk.
BlueRoute,Tygervalley,Somerset Mall all closed

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
In short this means it is bulls**t. They have reached no agreement with anyone. No one will push the money into the failed venture. They are waiting for a government bailout.
You have zero clue about reality do you?

untruly_yours

I think CNA has closed in most shopping centres.
The only one I saw in operation is at Canal Walk.
BlueRoute,Tygervalley,Somerset Mall all closed
I think the CNA in Centurion Mall might still be operational. They have also rebranded Boardmans and Redsquare and are moving some of those stores into the Edgars store itself.