Edits to Website hosted offshore do not show up in browser. MWEB uncapped.

Potion

I have a locally-hosted Wordpress site that has a mirror that is hosted in the UK. Recently I changed some code in the theme of the local site, and immediately applied the same changes to the overseas site. When I view the local site in my browser the changes reflect immediately. Hours later, browsing the international site still shows the old version.

I contacted the overseas web-hosting provider, and they see the changes there. After going through the usual motions of clearing my browser cache, etc., they suggest that my ISP is caching and I am being served stale pages.

Could this be so? How do I get around it?

I'm using MWEB uncapped/shaped.

chris_meier

Are you using WP Super Cache? Experienced a similar problem with a site I did recently until I disabled that plugin.

Pixual

Expert Member
This is true. You are probably behind a transparent proxy. Very frustrating, especially when the local server doesn't resolve the IP address properly when dns changes.

Potion

Actually its a Wordpress thing. The theme had the usual scripts: page.php, header.php and so on. When, say, header.php was edited, a backup copy was copied to header-old.php. On the overseas server, the Wordpress codex found header-old.php first and used it instead (some slight difference in the way their php engine lists a directory, I suspect). I fixed the problem by renaming the backup copies, e.g., header.php-old.

At first I thought that it was a caching issue - it was like I was editing files on a different server to the one that my browser was connecting to. So, to avoid insanity, I resorted to using the built-in editor in the Wordpress Admin Dashboard (Appearance -> Editor) instead of Filezilla. That's when I noticed a the -old.php extensions in the filename list. BTW I can't find any reference to this gotcha when searching the Wordpress Forums - perhaps there's a WP pro out there who knows where to look.

MWEBHelp

MWEB Representative
Company Rep
Hi Potion,

Is the query resolved now or are you still having trouble.
If so please PM me your details and I'll look into this for you.

kind regards,
MWEB Guy

Potion

@MWEB Guy, Thanks for responding - the problem is resolved, it isn't anything to do with MWEB's network services.

I'm not sure why the overseas tech supp said that they could "see the changes" -- they may have seen them in the filesystem, but definitely not through the wordpress front-end in a browser. They were also clearly wrong about 'caching' and 'stale pages', sorry MWEB.