EFF criticises eNCA for 'racist treatment of African journalist'

3WA

Honorary Master

The EFF has strongly condemned 24-hour television news broadcaster eNCA for forcing out political journalist Samkele Maseko and placing Khayelihle Khumalo on suspension for tweeting about the party’s second national people’s assembly from his personal account.

Maseko was unceremoniously dismissed on Tuesday, after the senior political journalist went against a stance that was taken by the broadcaster to pull out of the EFF’s elective conference over the weekend. Maseko had initially left the national people’s assembly with staff from the eNCA and later returned to the conference in his own capacity, while Khumalo tweeted about the proceedings after the directive was given.

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
Yes we should all defy our bosses and cry "racism" when we're suspended.

The EFF cultivated this situation, they should be taking responsibility.

3WA

Honorary Master
Kanthan Pillay (he of Purple Cow fame) is unfit to be a news chief, and this is very disappointing from eNCA. Firstly, as a politician, he should be extra careful to appear to be unbiased, and secondly, there's no real argument that tweets outside of eNCA's platforms violate eNCAs stance on an EFF blackout. Does he really expect his political journos to not read up on what happened at the conference?

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
Kanthan Pillay (he of Purple Cow fame) is unfit to be a news chief, and this is very disappointing from eNCA. Firstly, as a politician, he should be extra careful to appear to be unbiased, and secondly, there's no real argument that tweets outside of eNCA's platforms violate eNCAs stance on an EFF blackout. Does he really expect his political journos to not read up on what happened at the conference?
If you Tweet in your personal capacity, at any other organisation, you can absolutely be held liable.

3WA

Honorary Master
Yes we should all defy our bosses and cry "racism" when we're suspended.

The EFF cultivated this situation, they should be taking responsibility.

The EFF are a bit of a red herring in this story (I wish City Press didn't work that angle), but the developments at eNCA are problematic. I hate censoring of personal tweets in general, but in the case of a journalist, it's absurd.

3WA

Honorary Master
If you Tweet in your personal capacity, at any other organisation, you can absolutely be held liable.

Not any other organisation. For example, tenured professors at universities can say whatever they want and as long as it's not illegal, their institution cannot take action. Similarly, respectable news outlets will offer their different journalists and commentators a large degree of personal freedom to voice varied opinions.

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
The EFF are a bit of a red herring in this story (I wish City Press didn't work that angle), but the developments at eNCA are problematic. I hate censoring of personal tweets in general, but in the case of a journalist, it's absurd.
So if the journo in question were to trash eNCA in a Tweet you feel it would be justified? When you're employed you have limits on what you can say in any public forum.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
The EFF is running SA from the shadows. They are already have many corporates bending to their will.

3WA

Honorary Master
So if the journo in question were to trash eNCA in a Tweet you feel it would be justified? When you're employed you have limits on what you can say in any public forum.

If the journalist offered a substantiated and news-worthy view on eNCA that passed editorial standards, I'd be perfectly fine with that. I've seen journalists report on their parent company before.

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
Not any other organisation. For example, tenured professors at universities can say whatever they want and as long as it's not illegal, their institution cannot take action. Similarly, respectable news outlets will offer their different journalists and commentators a large degree of personal freedom to voice varied opinions.
So a tenured professor could publically denounce and outright lie about the university at which they're employed, without any repurcussions?

3WA

Honorary Master
So a tenured professor could publically denounce and outright lie about the university at which they're employed, without any repurcussions?

They would obviously still be subject to, let's say, South African law, so they couldn't defame or slander.

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
If the journalist offered a substantiated and news-worthy view on eNCA that passed editorial standards, I'd be perfectly fine with that. I've seen journalists report on their parent company before.
Which simply cannot be done in 280 characters. Think before you Tweet, people.

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
They would obviously still be subject to, let's say, South African law, so they couldn't defame or slander.
But no repercussions until he's found guilty in a court? Maybe a racist Vicki Momberg rant, but he would be employed until the HRC found him guilty?

3WA

Honorary Master
But no repercussions until he's found guilty in a court? Maybe a racist Vicki Momberg rant, but he would be employed until the HRC found him guilty?

They could still face civil action, and prosecution, yes. The university might implement a disciplinary enquiry.

But, professors can't get fired for criticising university management, or funders, or be instructed on suitable topics to tweet. Similarly, many news agencies will try to develop an open culture. Look at how often Daily Maverick will let some Zupta-grade minister write an article for them.

I'm simply concerned about what eNCA's behaviour does for quality of reporting and journalistic freedom.

schumi

Honorary Master
eNCA news editor Kanthan Pillay apologises to Samkele Maseko, SABC over 'rats running towards sinking ship' tweet

News channel eNCA said on Thursday its embattled news editor Kanthan Pillay has apologised for his tweet regarding former eNCA political journalist Samkele Maseko.

Pillay said he would undergo a disciplinary hearing and abide by the outcome of this process.

Following Maseko's resignation from eNCA, Pillay posted a tweet, saying "rats" were running towards a "sinking ship", apparently referring to Maseko.

It is understood he will take up a position at the SABC next year.

In an email, eNCA's managing editor, Jeremy Maggs, said: "Kanthan posted an ill-advised tweet about Samkele Maseko's resignation and implied that [the] SABC was a sinking ship.

"I have spent the better part of the day in conversation with the e-Media Investments exco and members of our holding company. Kanthan will shortly issue a formal apology to Samkele, all staff at the channel as well as the SABC."

Maggs added the allegations raised by Maseko concerning Pillay's alleged censoring and interference in the newsroom, were "serious".

"We are not in the business of censoring stories but conversely also apply strict gatekeeping rules of fairness, impartiality and right of reply."

More at : https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/...s-running-towards-sinking-ship-tweet-20191219

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
They could still face civil action, and prosecution, yes. The university might implement a disciplinary enquiry.

But, professors can't get fired for criticising university management, or funders, or be instructed on suitable topics to tweet. Similarly, many news agencies will try to develop an open culture. Look at how often Daily Maverick will let some Zupta-grade minister write an article for them.

I'm simply concerned about what eNCA's behaviour does for quality of reporting and journalistic freedom.
So if the enquiry finds they are guilty they can be fired? Just checking, thanks.

P.S. You can't just be fired at any other organisation without a disciplinary hearing, either.