EFF Students Command demands fee-free registration at universities… or else

MirageF1

Expert Member
How are they delaying it when the whole registration process, I've been told can be done online.
Because your registration, study units, prereqs, etc still needs to be assessed and approved...and that means manpower and resources and someone working behind a screen!

Not everything is automated...some things still require closer inspection.

Lucas Buck

Expert Member
Because your registration, study units, prereqs, etc still needs to be assessed and approved...and that means manpower and resources and someone working behind a screen!

Not everything is automated...some things still require closer inspection.
The staff are still there working, the campus has been closed for students.

Grant

Honorary Master
wots this eff "students command " ??

so we have:
fuhrer malema
reichsmarschall shivambu
malemajugend aka hitler malema students command

who else is there ?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
The application fee is R100 at most universities, if you can't afford that, you have no place at a university as you definitely cannot afford transportation, food, books, etc.
NSFAS covers application fees if you qualify.

This argument is a publicity thing/probably because those students didn't get in/failed their courses.

Knyro

Honorary Master
The application fee is R100 at most universities, if you can't afford that, you have no place at a university as you definitely cannot afford transportation, food, books, etc.
NSFAS covers application fees if you qualify.

This argument is a publicity thing/probably because those students didn't get in/failed their courses.
Registration fee, not application fee. The registration fee is easily R5k+ at most universities.

Sollie

Expert Member
Ok, that might have been a bit over the top. But it really seems like everyone just keep giving in to every bloody demand.
I think we all actually understood what you meant to say. For the first time today I'll even agree with you: No, nobody wants to really shoot anybody or see them shot, but we have to stop allowing a bunch of minority hooligans acting like retarded amoebas in red overalls, t-shirts, caps and and berets hold the country to ransom.

My only suggestion would be to candy coat the "marbles on the highway bit", make it seem like a free lunch. Be creative so they want to do it - plausible deniability and all that jadda jadda ;)

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Registration fee, not application fee. The registration fee is easily R5k+ at most universities.
1547239433715.png
https://www.facebook.com/uct.ac.za/...our-attention-that-incorre/10154831917042970/

https://www.unisa.ac.za/sites/corpo...rescribed-student-fees:-undergraduate-studies
UNISA isn't either.
They all just require a minimum upfront payment for the module which is perfectly understandable as lots of people won't pay if they drop out, but the university still has to plan/hire everyone/have the resources for the entire year no matter if the student is there or not, they can't just at beginning T2 bring someone else in.
Don't you first have to apply/get accepted, then register for each module?

Knyro

Honorary Master
View attachment 602120
https://www.facebook.com/uct.ac.za/...our-attention-that-incorre/10154831917042970/

https://www.unisa.ac.za/sites/corpo...rescribed-student-fees:-undergraduate-studies
UNISA isn't either.
They all just require a minimum upfront payment for the module which is perfectly understandable as lots of people won't pay if they drop out, but the university still has to plan/hire everyone/have the resources for the entire year no matter if the student is there or not, they can't just at beginning T2 bring someone else in.
Don't you first have to apply/get accepted, then register for each module?
That's the registration fee. UCT is just arguing semantics and quite frankly I expected better from them.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
That's the registration fee. UCT is just arguing semantics and quite frankly I expected better from them.
Okay, so what do you want them to do? The "registration fee" is only paid for by students that are accepted, so you'll have to pay them. Do you want the university to have a large enough budget to pay for the entire year and then hope the students pay by the end of the year? What about all the defaulters? You'll make the universities shoulder even more risk/liability than they already do.
1547243066387.png
From the financial statements is the debt/late payments for UCT with an age analysis http://www.uct.ac.za/sites/default/files/image_tool/images/328/about/finance/reports/afs2017.pdf
They're even still hounding fees from quite a while back:
1547243158086.png
1.7 million back in 2014, 4 million from 2015.

That means they have to provision for around R50-55m in case of bad debt, meanwhile any student payment delays means that the university has to take credit/reroute money from other things to pay for it or have money on standby that they basically cannot use for other things as a just in case. Quite difficult for a business, as e.g. professors that are high up in the chain, to cleaning staff at the bottom of the chain, all want to be paid on time, not caring that students aren't paying on time.

Would you take a month delay in your salary check for work done just because the business hasn't been paid yet? No? Thought not.
It's not a registration fee as the cost goes to the module.

Knyro

Honorary Master
Okay, so what do you want them to do? /snip
I'm not agreeing with the students, I'm saying what they mean by "registration fee". Of course it goes towards the cost of the module. What else would you be paying the uni for? It's a commonly used term. UCT and you, are arguing semantics.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I'm not agreeing with the students, I'm saying what they mean by "registration fee". Of course it goes towards the cost of the module. What else would you be paying the uni for? It's a commonly used term. UCT and you, are arguing semantics.
But it's not a registration fee? It's a fee for the module. The admin fee I can understand as a protest as R100-150 cost for them looking at a page for 5 minutes is a bit high, but asking for an upfront deposit for a course with a fixed cost for the entire year? They should be happy that universities don't ask for full upfront payment as the costs don't change if students drop out/don't attend anymore, so if you don't show up, they still have to pay for it.

Sollie

Expert Member
But it's not a registration fee? It's a fee for the module. The admin fee I can understand as a protest as R100-150 cost for them looking at a page for 5 minutes is a bit high, but asking for an upfront deposit for a course with a fixed cost for the entire year? They should be happy that universities don't ask for full upfront payment as the costs don't change if students drop out/don't attend anymore, so if you don't show up, they still have to pay for it.
But then again, reality be told, it's not about this either. It's just another place to stir and create chaos, trying to make themselves relevant. Déjà vu.

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
Frankly, people bitching and moaning about the cost of education have a point. None of our educational systems have managed to keep up with the times. Since the digital revolution, education should cost a fraction of what it does today, and the only reason it doesn't is because the people who should be developing these systems are also the institutions with the most to lose from such a system being put in place.
What are you basing this on? As a non-resident in the Netherlands, un-subsidised tertiary education cost between €6000-€15000. That is basically the true cost of a Bacelors or Masters course in a first world country. My research into NZ and the USA suggest the cost is pretty much the same.

Now, my daughter considered UOFS, UP etc. The cost was also somewhere in the region of R90000, so pretty much on par with the international institutions mentioned. She ended up studying at Open Window, a private uiniversity, and the cost was still around the R90k mark.

As a “resident” (child of a tax paying parent), she will now pay under €2000 to complete her Honours. That is the subsidised cost of tertiary education.

So, I will ask again, what do you base the assumption on that tertiary education should cost a fraction of what it does?