EFF thrown out of Gordhan budget vote address after tense standoff

R13...

Honorary Master
So Gordon wasn't a prominent member of the ANC that's looted this country from the first day they gained power....
Looting which he's always decried and even tried to reign in wastefulness when he was in Zuma's cabinet. How does that equate to him looting?

Alan

Honorary Master
Looting which he's always decried and even tried to reign in wastefulness when he was in Zuma's cabinet. How does that equate to him looting?
"decried" while continuing to be an active member and no doubt voting for the ANC.....

R13...

Honorary Master
"decried" while continuing to be an active member and no doubt voting for the ANC.....
Yes, he stayed with them and even voted against the various motions to remove Zuma. He's a politician and knows to effect change you have to be part of the ANC instead of getting pointlessly expelled just for posture value and then having the ANC carrying on looting as they were. Elementary my dear Watson.

As an aside, a lot of people who bemoan the ANC members and their toeing the party line are themselves just as inflexible in the ideologies they support. They'd be just at home as party apparatchiks in most ideologies. How ironic that you can deride PG while you yourself are as close minded and inflexible as any soviet party loyalist or ANC cadre.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
So Gordon wasn't a prominent member of the ANC that's looted this country from the first day they gained power....
Prominent yes... but basically faught against his own party all through the state capture phase... to prevent them from looting further.

Alan

Honorary Master
Prominent yes... but basically faught against his own party all through the state capture phase... to prevent them from looting further.
Yet still voted for the party.

Interesting how people conveniently forget the ANC was looting the country long before Zuma took power. How do you think Zuma gained power? In large part thanks to the corruption and incompetence that had discredited Thabo Mbeki's reign as president. Recall the arms deal? It was rather controversial once.

Gordhan was there at the top throughout....

Last edited:

Splinter

Honorary Master
Yes, he stayed with them and even voted against the various motions to remove Zuma. .
Now this you have to back up with facts. All motions of no confidence against Zuma - or whomever - were/are anonymous votes.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Exactly. And a lot more than just him. How do you think Zuma/his wife lost the presidency.

Splinter

Honorary Master
You are doing that "painting everyone from the same brush" kind of thing. The ANC has been a political dozer from the start - trying to work from within to change things is the most intelligent thing to do.

But this is so trite - who, in the entire political spectrum in SA, has done more to fight against state capture and looting?

Splinter

Honorary Master
All except one were anonymous, and all except one had 100 ANC backing.
Well then - political expediency. To remain in the party to actually do some good now, versus being witch hunted back then. I call that intelligent. Very.

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
You are doing that "painting everyone from the same brush" kind of thing. The ANC has been a political dozer from the start - trying to work from within to change things is the most intelligent thing to do.

But this is so trite - who, in the entire political spectrum in SA, has done more to fight against state capture and looting?
Hellen Zille. Only one to publicly suggest a tax revolt.

Alan

Honorary Master

Ah yes the old leftist "ANC is South Africa" authoritarian mentality. You don't change political parties you just change the leadership of the ANC.

How convenient then for Gordhan and co. They get to enjoy the trappings of power yet are never responsible for what their party does while in power.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Hellen Zille. Only one to publicly suggest a tax revolt.
Aaai. While I like your style, I think we both know her "suggestion" had less weight than the results of a Julius Malema IQ test.

Gordhan is going balls to the wall to help our country. My opinion of course. But I struggle to understand how anyone who is not pro SA doesn't see that.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Ah yes the old leftist "ANC is South Africa" authoritarian mentality. You don't change political parties you just change the leadership of the ANC.

How convenient then for Gordhan and co. They get to enjoy the trappings of power yet are never responsible for what their party does while in power.
EDIT: The Public Protector seems to disagree with you.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Now this you have to back up with facts. All motions of no confidence against Zuma - or whomever - were/are anonymous votes.
How many motions of no confidence did Zuma face and how many were decided by secret ballot?

surface

Executive Member
How many motions of no confidence did Zuma face and how many were decided by secret ballot?
I recall exactly the otherwise. None of them were secret ballots but I will try to find information when I can. But imagine if all the conscientious guys voted against zuma back then - would CR be in power? Would PG be in cabinet? It is politics - you need to dance with the wolves.