Egypt plans to limit population with American support

schumi

Honorary Master
Johannesburg – The Egyptian government is planning new population control policies that could be introduced as early as next year with the help of American funding.

Egyptian Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouli recently announced that starting in January the government will no longer provide welfare payments to families with more than two children, while simultaneously offering to provide economic incentives to one-child families.

“The government has decided not to give any kind of monetary subsidies to families with three children. We will target these families, and all should know that the runaway growth of population is a big threat to the economic development in this country,” Madbouli said on 22 November.
The US government will be supporting the measures in some part by giving money towards programmes that seek to increase contraceptive use in Egypt with a view to population control, Mecatornet reported on Thursday.
More at: https://www.iol.co.za/news/africa/egypt-plans-to-limit-population-with-american-support-18403816

HennieWelkom

“The government has decided not to give any kind of monetary subsidies to families with three children. We will target these families, and all should know that the runaway growth of population is a big threat to the economic development in this country,” Madbouli said on 22 November.
This sounds like utter bullshyte to me, the more economically active people have the better for a country. What is unemployment looking like in Egypt, that may be the issue.

Bewlen

This sounds like utter bullshyte to me, the more economically active people have the better for a country. What is unemployment looking like in Egypt, that may be the issue.
7 kids in 1 poor household do not become "economically active", they become "welfare recipients". Resources are split between all of their development, to all of their disadvantage. But 1 child receiving all the limited resources has a better chance.

HennieWelkom

7 kids in 1 poor household do not become "economically active", they become "welfare recipients". Resources are split between all of their development, to all of their disadvantage. But 1 child receiving all the limited resources has a better chance.
Yes, because it is impossible for a household with seven children, to have those children ever work. There exist a subtle racism here. My own grandparents had 5 children and they were not particularly wealthy. Are you surprised by the fact that all 5 my aunts and uncles work?

Milano

Honorary Master
We need something similar here. Unless you can fully raise your kids, nobody else will be paying you to raise them.
SA can easily afford the subsidies required to grow our population to 100 million. The Reconstruction and Development Plan successfully created our welfare state of today. Henceforth economic transformation will be radical. This goes well beyond reconstruction and development. This introduces economic transformation in a manner that will be radical. At the same time we have the National Development Plan. Needless to say a development plan that is national encompasses the entire nation. That is another prong. Did I mention this is two pronged? You have two plans, or you may even take the view that it is one plan that is both radical and national in nature. A single two pronged plan. Or two plans with a prong each. Either way it is twice the development nationally and radically on a scale never seen before that could potentially radically transform and nationally develop. Nuff said.

Milano

Honorary Master
Yes, because it is impossible for a household with seven children, to have those children ever work. There exist a subtle racism here. My own grandparents had 5 children and they were not particularly wealthy. Are you surprised by the fact that all 5 my aunts and uncles work?
I don't know about him but I for one do not doubt it for a moment.

HennieWelkom

Sorry, I spazed for a moment 4 uncles and aunts and a mother. There really is no relation to the number of children you have and how able you are to care for them. There may be people who can care for there children but fall on hard times and may rely on a government child subsidy to help through their strife, now, this must all go moer toe just because the government decided you had too many children Bollocks.

ponder

Honorary Master
The race card, really?

Bewlen

Congratulations on being the exception to the norm. And I do mean that sincerely.

The family you speak of, did they all get a good education?

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
Finally , a country with sense and a plan to try and break the poverty cycle.
Really hope the results prove positive and then maybe sets a standard for the rest of Africa.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Finally , a country with sense and a plan to try and break the poverty cycle.
Really hope the results prove positive and then maybe sets a standard for the rest of Africa.
Won't work.
Will lead to an scourge of teenage pregnancies, unless they apply it only to legally married couples with one child.

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
Wait, birth control is the holocaust now?
What do you think the basic Nazi premise was exactly? It was entirely about population control.

And this isn't just about birth control advocacy and rolling out programs to supply free birth control to those who want it. This is about taking away the rights of those who have more than 2 children and subjecting them to discrimination, poverty and negative social pressure. How can you not see the parallels?

requiem

Expert Member
What do you think the basic Nazi premise was exactly? It was entirely about population control.

And this isn't just about birth control advocacy and rolling out programs to supply free birth control to those who want it. This is about taking away the rights of those who have more than 2 children and subjecting them to discrimination, poverty and negative social pressure. How can you not see the parallels?
Bullshit. This is about incentives for those with less than 2 children. It's about refusing welfare for those with more than 2.