Egyptian Cotton bed sheets...Yay or Nay...?

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
So have been shopping around a bit for some egyptian cotton beds covers etc but was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on these...?

Recently on holiday the hotel we stayed at had the most awesome feeling sheets and according to wifey she reckons thats what the sheets were (or some high thread count cotton sheets).
They are of course lekker expensive...but are they worth it (and what thread count)...?

BrokenLink

Yay

I have some, they are awesome. Almost silky but breathable. You generally get what you pay for though. I think i bought mine at Edgars or Woolworths.

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
Yay

I have some, they are awesome. Almost silky but breathable. You generally get what you pay for though. I think i bought mine at Edgars or Woolworths.
Sure it's an investment :p Couldn't find any at Edgards but Woolies had some as well as @home and one or two others. Depends where you go though, a duvet cover for a king sized bed ranged from R800 to about R3k(all around 400TC-600TC range).

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
We already have a down blanket but I find it too heavy for most uses. Will go hunting for some more bed sheets today..!
Apart from sleeping, what other uses do you have for a duvet?

ice_cubes

Executive Member
I always wait for the *clearance sales*... loads of living, Boardmans, Woolies...

techead

Honorary Master
I always wait for the *clearance sales*... loads of living, Boardmans, Woolies...

YAY!!! :D

loads of living had this on the other day

went in there and picked up two queen size sheets.

one was 300 thread count, paid R260 and the other was 330 thread count and paid R190.

those two would have normally cost over R1000

once you have slept on high thread count cotton aka egyptian cotton sheets, you wont go back!

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
I got my bedding in Egypt when we were on holiday. I can't live without it, anything else is like sleeping on sand paper.

We got 2 sets of 250 TC for about R250 each (sheet and fitted sheet 2 pillows) and one set of 500 TC for R500 (2 pillows, one sheet, one fitted sheet, one duvet )

I must say that I almost prefer the 250 TC, the thread count has little to do with quality and more to do with isolation, the feeling is unparalleled.
In summer we don't use a duvet and just sleep with the sheets. In winter we have a down duvet and the combination of Egyptian cotton and down is like a furnace.

You haven't slept naked till you have slept naked in Egyptian cotton. We are considering going back just to get some more !

Wall

Sports Addict
Came across this deal at onedayonly and immediately thought of this thread.

maumau

Honorary Master
Careful though, those are sateen i.e.they have a shiny finish.

They have normal Egyptian cotton too.

Last edited:

AntiGanda

Banned
YAY!!! :D

loads of living had this on the other day

went in there and picked up two queen size sheets.

one was 300 thread count, paid R260 and the other was 330 thread count and paid R190.

those two would have normally cost over R1000

once you have slept on high thread count cotton aka egyptian cotton sheets, you wont go back!
Egyptian Cotton is a brand. Look out for fakes, even in Woolworths!

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
Egyptian Cotton is a brand. Look out for fakes, even in Woolworths!

Indeed - be careful.

TRUE Egyptian cotton is typically Geyser long staple cotton.
The longer the staple, the finer the cotton - the higher the thread count. (Carded combed cotton).

A 400 thread count means - the number of threads per inch in the warp and weft (length and width)
So 400 divided by 2 divided by 2.54 = 78 odd threads per cm. These are quite fine threads and will be a comfortable sheet.
The gigher the thread count, the finer the yarns and the better the feel - for 100% unresined cotton.

Poly/cotton - not lekker. The poly will pill and makes the sheets feel scratchy.

I doubt these sheets are Egyptian cotton - more likely ex India or Pakistan - but they are the cotton kings.

Drunkard #1

Expert Member
I love my 600TC duvet cover and pillow cases - Woolies for R1 650 for super king. I'm replacing everything with that, as it wears out.

Indeed - be careful.

TRUE Egyptian cotton is typically Geyser long staple cotton.
The longer the staple, the finer the cotton - the higher the thread count. (Carded combed cotton).

A 400 thread count means - the number of threads per inch in the warp and weft (length and width)
So 400 divided by 2 divided by 2.54 = 78 odd threads per cm. These are quite fine threads and will be a comfortable sheet.
The gigher the thread count, the finer the yarns and the better the feel - for 100% unresined cotton.

Poly/cotton - not lekker. The poly will pill and makes the sheets feel scratchy.

I doubt these sheets are Egyptian cotton - more likely ex India or Pakistan - but they are the cotton kings.

So Woolies has only got 600TC in white, and when I'm staying at a hotel, I need some distinctive pillow cases so that the maids know they're mine. Long story short, I bought some at Makro labelled "100% Cotton Percale". WTF is cotton percale? Sounds like a weasel word to me, and I haven't found a definitive definition online. They're OK, I guess, for a week or two, but nothing like the 600TC stuff.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master

Aghori

Honorary Master
Psh. best sheets are 100% ployester for R20 at Ilanga Superstores.