Egypt's Suez Canal blocked by large container ship

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
Credit where it's due. Despite all of the stupid and racist **** you post, there are actually some useful posts from you.

On topic, shipping rates were already high before this incident are are rising further. Many ships are now diverting around the Cape of Good Hope.

I post racist ****? Since when are facts racist?

Kodi

I'd suggest underwater there is enough hydration. ;)

You want to add some air to create a type of emulsifying effect, in the current created by the water jet. To get the idea:

Near the surface it's easy, getting down deeper you'd need an arm to extend underwater with a nozzle.

Part of the problem, with the ship being grounded in shallow water, is suction. Aerating that breaks the seal and opens up new possibilities of not necessarily having to move all the sand.
Lol, the exact same video I remember watching that gave rise to the thought.

Benedict A55h0le

Expert Member
Imagine the blame game if the ship was named
mv mybroadband :

Noxibox - it's bullschit, nothing but hype.
Paulsie - its all a big conspiracy.
Rambo - it's the ANC's fault.
Saturnz - America is to blame.
Excalibur - its the work of white racists.
Cerebus - Trump caused this mess.
Konfab - its the gay wedding cake.
Lexity - it's the individual right of the captain.
Ettienne Marais - Britain is responsible.
Grant - there was a chicken at 30 degrees starboard
TheChamp - white people are still having sex.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master

Broo

I wonder how much perishable cargo is on all those idle ships?

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Yep , and if they do it wrong , worse case scenario is she breaks in half under the weight of those containers.

Very doubtful on that front... the support structure of the ship is very unlikely to be compromised at this point.

konfab

Honorary Master
Yep , and if they do it wrong , worse case scenario is she breaks in half under the weight of those containers.
Yeah no.
Any material they remove will have its volume replaced by water. Which means that the distribution of the load will decrease as you dredge stuff out from underneath it.

If the ship was to break in half, it would have already done so.

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
Very doubtful on that front... the support structure of the ship is very unlikely to be compromised at this point.
Its a real concern :

The photographs from yesterday show the ship hard aground and that the stern is afloat. And that could possibly cause additional damage to the ship,” Brennan told Al Jazeera.
“If this ship were to break in half and could not be refloated and removed, that would lead to a long-term blockade of the canal in its present position.”

Cage Rattler

Interesting that the Ever Greet, more or less the same size, and part of the Evergreen shipping line appears to have been the first to divert around the Cape. Wonder what Evergreen knows...

Sollie

Honorary Master
Actually not so sure: fully laden, tide rising and falling with bow on sand, tug boats pulling ... some amazing stresses right there.