Egypt's Suez Canal blocked by large container ship

wbot

Executive Member
This is not a joke btw. It really happened:
ExgXU3eUUAERxt7

Magnum

Expert Member
I don’t know how shipping has changed but my mom said ( yes I’m going there)
When the war blocked the canal in the 1950’s it helped our country with the extra traffic.

Not clued up with this at all so it might make a slight difference to our ports if they are allowed to dock? Our harbors has been quiet due to covid.
Ships are not allowed to dock to take on fuel anymore. Our HFO is of to low quality. Tar is more flamable than that SHT....

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
The BBC are slowly getting the facts and headline together:
The stern of the ship, which had been four metres from the shore, was now 102m clear, the Suez Canal Authority said. It added that efforts to fully refloat the boat had begun.

Efforts to move the boat would resume at 11:30 local time (09:30 GMT) once the tide rises, officials said.
_117742937_compo.png

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Haha, I was pondering some system where there are cables attached to the bow of the ship from each bank and locked down railed bogeys prevent is going too left or too right.

That's the difference between the Panama Canal, which has concrete locks and locomotives (mules), and the Suez Canal, which is a sandy ditch through which ships motor under their own power.

images

Last edited:

Sinbad

Honorary Master
The boat is afloat, now they need divers to inspect the hull

Grant

Honorary Master
The boat ship was inspected by divers yesterday, and is not taking on water. The tide was out earlier, and they are waiting until the midday high-tide for the next pull.
Why is it not a boat?

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Why is it not a boat?

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Why is it not a boat?

Semantics. A boat is something small, often launched from land, and seldom found far from the coast. A ship exceeds all of of those constraints.

LOL:
Here is a quick and easy way to differentiate between a ship and a boat. If the vessel’s captain gets offended by you calling it a ‘boat’ then probably, by all means, it is a ship

Pox

Expert Member
Semantics. A boat is something small, often launched from land, and seldom found far from the coast. A ship exceeds all of of those constraints.
Nope.

A ship is designed to carry cargo or passengers.
It will generally have a rated cargo weight. Size has nothing to do with it.