Egypt's Suez Canal blocked by large container ship

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
All the other ships should just file civil cases against that shipping company.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
eally this easy to block a Major shipping route?

so if a nation that isnt happy with world affairs decides to, they could quite easily strangle the world quite easily.

I mean North Korea, they could sail their 10 ships into the suez canal, run them aground and pretty much choke the world into submitting to their will.

maybe instead of Nukes, countries could do this instead.

Yes it is this easy to block a major shipping route when that shipping route is only as wide as the Suez. Its not the first time something like this has happened and it won't be the last, and no it doesn't strangle the world it just means shipping takes longer as there are alternate routes if it goes on for an extended period of time. But no, North Korea couldn't just sail their 10 ships into the Suez Canal and run them aground... they would be blocked before they got that far as the activity would be very obviously odd.

Im sure there are, but what do you do, when your Ruler had decreed that you must use your ship, as a physical blockade?

I mean fill your ship up with Cement about halfway through transiting the canal.

Why would they need Cement? Just scuttle the ship. No need to carry expensive concrete and do stupid **** that requires timing to get it to set or anything like that...

dont discount all the people that might show up and loot the ship very quickly if the situation goes on any longer.

Yeah cool, the Arabs are just going to rock up and carry those containers off on their backs.... :rolleyes: Actually fsck it, I'd pay fscking good money to see them try loot the ship... chances are the ship has armed guards on it given that it has just transited through the Gulf of Aden.

R13...

Honorary Master
All the other ships should just file civil cases against that shipping company.
Why? It says the ship was blown off by strong winds, can't blame them for acts of God. Sure they also suffered some sort of failure but it is still beyond their control.

ToxicBunny

Why? It says the ship was blown off by strong winds, can't blame them for acts of God. Sure they also suffered some sort of failure but it is still beyond their control.

The civil suits will still be incoming though, given the millions of dollars, delayed deliveries etc etc etc that will be at play.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Yes it is this easy to block a major shipping route when that shipping route is only as wide as the Suez. Its not the first time something like this has happened and it won't be the last, and no it doesn't strangle the world it just means shipping takes longer as there are alternate routes if it goes on for an extended period of time. But no, North Korea couldn't just sail their 10 ships into the Suez Canal and run them aground... they would be blocked before they got that far as the activity would be very obviously odd.

Why would they need Cement? Just scuttle the ship. No need to carry expensive concrete and do stupid **** that requires timing to get it to set or anything like that...

Yeah cool, the Arabs are just going to rock up and carry those containers off on their backs.... :rolleyes: Actually fsck it, I'd pay fscking good money to see them try loot the ship... chances are the ship has armed guards on it given that it has just transited through the Gulf of Aden.

so were agreed its super easy to block a Shipping lane?

ok, cool, how about creating a Major obstacle to world trade, besides scuttling the ship, make it even harder to remove the obstacle. use cement in the hold to create a Major blockage that will take months if not years to clear.

if only to protest something the UN has done to your country, but you want to avoid killing people.
(economic sabotage)

agreed, plenty of other routes, but to add another 3 weeks around CPT, drive up prices, will affect lots of things.
so knock on effects will show up slowly.

as for looting, enough people that will quickly desend on the ship to loot cargo,

upup

Executive Member
Passenger ships got a few motors, wonder it this ship only use the one blade at the back.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Passenger ships got a few motors, wonder it this ship only use the one blade at the back.
cheapskate cargo ships usually only have 1 prop,
dont even sail under the ship owners flag, usually a flag of convenience like Liberia, or Marshall islands.

ToxicBunny

so were agreed its super easy to block a Shipping lane?

ok, cool, how about creating a Major obstacle to world trade, besides scuttling the ship, make it even harder to remove the obstacle. use cement in the hold to create a Major blockage that will take months if not years to clear.

if only to protest something the UN has done to your country, but you want to avoid killing people.
(economic sabotage)

agreed, plenty of other routes, but to add another 3 weeks around CPT, drive up prices, will affect lots of things.
so knock on effects will show up slowly.

as for looting, enough people that will quickly desend on the ship to loot cargo,

The Concrete won't make it any more difficult to remove the blockage... if anything it will make the planning and timing of the blockage more complicated, and it would be weeks at most before it was cleared, if it was clearly an active attempt to block the Suez in some permanent fashion with a ship.

And yes, the additional routes would add time to the trip and cost without a doubt but the negative impact to the party/country attempting to implement the blockade would be beyond immense that its not likely to happen.

And your looting theory is retarded, plain and simple. You clearly have zero fscking idea just how large those ships actually are, and how big a bloody container is and how the ships are stacked.

Gnome

Executive Member
cheapskate cargo ships usually only have 1 prop,
dont even sail under the ship owners flag, usually a flag of convenience like Liberia, or Marshall islands.
+1

Shipping is a slimy business. I recall some years back a ship experienced a problem here in Cape Town. The ship was abandoned and once it sank the insurance company decided to pay out their client. They didn't have any assets in SA so why worry about what remains here, that is someone else' problem.

That specific trick has been used many a time to the point that you can't sail into the waters of many powerful nations (ie USA) without shipping insurance that has sufficient assets in the country you wish to enter. All because the insurance and shipping business is as dirty as it gets.

eg2505

Honorary Master
And your looting theory is retarded, plain and simple. You clearly have zero fscking idea just how large those ships actually are, and how big a bloody container is and how the ships are stacked.

yes they are large, but how difficult is it to get people out to loot a cargo ship?
I mean its not moving, its stuck in the middle of the canal, in a desert.

first few would probably rig up some way of getting on board,
and transferring cargo to shore,

Gordon_R

Honorary Master

Maritime law is really complex, but I'm pretty sure that any ship transiting a canal must have third party insurance, if not just for mechanical breakdown. Seem unlikely that other operators would try to claim for a few hours delay.

Edit: The OP link says the ship is registered in Panama, which is a moderately respectable country.

ToxicBunny

yes they are large, but how difficult is it to get people out to loot a cargo ship?
I mean its not moving, its stuck in the middle of the canal, in a desert.

first few would probably rig up some way of getting on board,
and transferring cargo to shore,

No, they are fscking massive... not just large, and its very difficult to get a few people on board without being noticed, especially with 5 or 6 tugs around, and armed guards on board etc etc...

You are just spinning absolute bollocks because you are monumentally clueless about the size/scale/complexity of your theory in reality. Have you ever actually seen a decent sized container ship up close?

Beyond that, the containers are stacked in a way that would make it neigh-on impossible for some random twat on board to get to more than a few at best.

eg2505

Honorary Master
No, they are fscking massive... not just large, and its very difficult to get a people on board without being noticed, especially with 5 or 6 tugs around, and armed guards on board etc etc...

You are just spinning absolute bollocks.
if you say so, but then again never underestimate desperate people and their ingenuity.

ToxicBunny

if you say so, but then again never underestimate desperate people and their ingenuity.

Jees, you really don't like to give up on your retarded theories do you?

Why the hell would they raid a ship in the Suez Canal that has armed guards and is surrounded by tugs and personnel etc, when the 2nd biggest damned container port in Africa is just up the drag and the containers are much easier to get to and loot? Hmmm?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
If I have to spend R10K a month on product liability insurance, I'm sure they have something similar for ships.
Their motors should be in a good working state. it will be tested in court. Were their motors serviced and maintained properly.

R13...

Honorary Master
Maritime law is really complex, but I'm pretty sure that any ship transiting a canal must have third party insurance, if not just for mechanical breakdown. Seem unlikely that other operators would try to claim for a few hours delay.

Edit: The OP link says the ship is registered in Panama, which is a moderately respectable country.
But they register these things in Panama because Panama are rather lax in their regulations of shipping. These shipping companies use Panama to escape stricter home country regulations and flying Panama flag allows them to also run on cheap foreign labour which would otherwise not be allowed in their home territories.