Egypt's Suez Canal blocked by large container ship

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
It is against international maritime law. Neither a merchant ship nor it's crew may be armed. The use of armed private contractors that are not crew has been tried as a loophole. That is now under scrutiny.
I thought the law as it stands prevented armed crews (or contractors I guess) on merchant ships from entering harbours, so out on the open seas it was always left open to interpretation?

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Disruption to global trade will not end with the refloating of the Ever Given. According to Lloyds List, there are currently more than 370 ships waiting to pass through the canal, including container vessels, tankers, and bulk carriers. Clearing that backlog is expected to take several days.

Some ships have already left the region, preferring to take an alternative, longer route around the southern tip of Africa. They will be joined by other vessels travelling from East Asia to Europe - whose operators have decided not to risk waiting for the canal to reopen.

Inevitably, cargoes will be reaching their destination much later than planned, there may be congestion when they arrive in ports while future sailing schedules have been thrown into disarray.
The cost of shipping goods to Europe is expected to rise as a result. Industry experts are warning that the knock-on effects on delicately balanced supply chains could be felt for months to come.

Source

scudsucker

Executive Member
When was I caught exaggerating?
One possible suggestion is when you alleged that a group of people from a completely different island were a representative population of an entire nation you never visited.

Another would be your alleged service. Which unit were you in, the one that required 2 x basic training?

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
Not all ships. ........
But the big ones probably.
Surely though, there is still a manual means to steer a ship when all else fails?
And BTW, IF there aint any wheels involved, then why is the term wheelhouse still used?

There is always an emergency steering position on a ship. And in an extreme emergency the rudder can be moved by opening and closing valves on the hydraulic rudder rams in the steering compartment.

Modern ships have the helm position on the bridge, no longer in a separate wheelhouse. Nautical terms will not change. The reason toilets are still called heads despite the fact that nobody has had to sit with their butt overhanging the rail and shouting "Heads!" to warn those with their heads out of the scuttles for many decades.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
You and @Dave are talking ****.
And facebook is saying "Lower Constantia" when its actually "Plumstead". In the Singapore freetrade zone om Batam ...@supersunbird
It is Batam, Indonesia to the useful idiots...
View attachment 1043551

Thank you Rocco. It's amazing how people will try to prove that others are wrong without having ever visited the area. Just for one upmanship. Your pin is on the exact position of Queen's.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
One possible suggestion is when you alleged that a group of people from a completely different island were a representative population of an entire nation you never visited.

Another would be your alleged service. Which unit were you in, the one that required 2 x basic training?

I never visited Indonesia? Quite an allegation. Any proof?

There are good reasons that I will not reveal my unit as people like you will make all sorts of deductions and untrue allegations. The second basics was due to the differences in required training.

LaraC

Honorary Master
Will be interesting to see what steps the authorities will take to prevent a repeat of this incident.

Or they may be like "meh, whatever" and not do anything except block large ships from traversing the canal when strong winds are blowing.
I can think of a few options:

@Gordon_R already mentioned that they could stop in side canals or they could order all high risk ships to hold position. Likely the best option. :)

Install atmospheric sensors along the canal to warn of dangerous weather conditions.
Increase the height of the canals' banks to act as a wind buffer.
Install a pully system like the one at the Panama canal.
Dredge the sides of the canal more often or make it wider.