ehomeaffairs failed application

nam687

So my wife is trying to renew her passport. She registered on the website and completed the first step of filling out the form. when submitting it comes with an error message "You already have a similar application open and in progress with home affairs on the old system" We've tried everything but it doesn't allow us to move further. We cannot upload docs or make payment.

We then gave up and decided to visit home affairs and make the application there, but then when they scanned her ticket they found there is an online application and were unable to give her a ticket number, they could not help regarding the online application either.

Now we're stuck because we cannot cancel the application online.

Any ideas? How do we move forward?

nam687

I tried but the number doesn't go through. I phoned this number
0800 60 11 90 and was on hold for 30 mins no answer.

alqassam

Expert Member
So my wife is trying to renew her passport. She registered on the website and completed the first step of filling out the form. when submitting it comes with an error message "You already have a similar application open and in progress with home affairs on the old system" We've tried everything but it doesn't allow us to move further. We cannot upload docs or make payment.

We then gave up and decided to visit home affairs and make the application there, but then when they scanned her ticket they found there is an online application and were unable to give her a ticket number, they could not help regarding the online application either.

Good luck took my dad in law 20 visits to various home affairs and the head office. Eventually a head managed to cancel the online Application.

Took him over a month to sort

Zyk1

Expert Member
Proper grand mess this.
The joys of dealing with a government organization....
:X3:
Good luck going further

ShaunyCT

So moral of the story: dont apply online for a sa passport ever. That's what you get when you have a Gauvamint like the ANC running the country.

Werfetter

Happened with my SO as well. Went through to HA office (somewhere in Pta) and escalated until someone removed the request on the old system. As soon as that was done she completed the online process without problem.

If someone cannot help politely insist on escalation to managers. It accomplishes nothing being rude so just be friendly and patient and usually you get helped (eventually).

R4ziel

Expert Member
I'm in the same boat as well, would like to know what the best course of action would be, the online system is such a nice thing, if it only worked like it should

Naaimasjien

I had an almost similar problem last year to get a new ID. Started out filling in the application online, but the page where you are supposed to upload documents, wouldn't allow me to upload anything (brilliant). Eventually made the trip to DHA and after talking to a consultant he mentions that he does not recommend that people use the DHA website for their applications as they don't have access to it. If an error is made on the application, they would not be able to fix or amend it at all. Luckily, they could continue with my online application where I left off.

Your best bet is to try and contact someone at head office. Check on their website - contact links should be at the bottom of the page. Godspeed.

jadels77

Hey there, did you come right with this? I have the same issue and am not sure what to do,

jadels77

I had an almost similar problem last year to get a new ID. Started out filling in the application online, but the page where you are supposed to upload documents, wouldn't allow me to upload anything (brilliant). Eventually made the trip to DHA and after talking to a consultant he mentions that he does not recommend that people use the DHA website for their applications as they don't have access to it. If an error is made on the application, they would not be able to fix or amend it at all. Luckily, they could continue with my online application where I left off.

Your best bet is to try and contact someone at head office. Check on their website - contact links should be at the bottom of the page. Godspeed.
Hey, did you just go to any DHA and they sorted the application for you?

Naaimasjien

Hey, did you just go to any DHA and they sorted the application for you?
Hi, yes. I could only complete the online application up to a certain step without getting any further. I went to my closest DHA and they could see the application and continue from where I left off.

Please note, from what I understand, if you make a mistake online and want the DHA office to correct it for you, they will not be able to.

jadels77

Hi, yes. I could only complete the online application up to a certain step without getting any further. I went to my closest DHA and they could see the application and continue from where I left off.

Please note, from what I understand, if you make a mistake online and want the DHA office to correct it for you, they will not be able to.
Great! Thanks so much! I am having the exact same issue that you described where it says I have an application on their old system.
Just a quick one - when visiting the DHA, did you then complete your application, pay for and do your biometrics all in the same visit?

Thanks for all the help!

Naaimasjien

Great! Thanks so much! I am having the exact same issue that you described where it says I have an application on their old system.
Just a quick one - when visiting the DHA, did you then complete your application, pay for and do your biometrics all in the same visit?

Thanks for all the help!
Yes. It was surprisingly quick and easy.