eHomeAffairs - getting it to work for you

droidx

Expert Member
I just did an application yesterday for FNB portside (CPT). Was indicating no time slots for all dates available and even when manually changed two months ahead.

So I phoned the branch today, explained the issue and got a booking in mid Nov. Website is broken I suppose.

Another thing is I tried the Limpopo branch which showed that it had slots available. So I assume the no time slots are only for branches that are fully booked for the available dates.

Kinda sucks if your bank is fully booked, you can't changed it to another bank in the same town. Quite silly that you have to go to your selected bank which might only have one branch
What was the number for the branch?
Was this for passport or ID?
I'm to get a booking for a passport but get the message that there is no slots available for a few weeks now.

Received a number for the branch but it was just a general home affairs number that was out of service.

It also took about a week for my payment to clear, it was just in pending status but does say completed successfully now.
Did my ID through this system and it was much smoother, but this was pre-pandemic.

Groggyme

I applied for a passport and ID renewal a couple weeks back, I received my SMS for my passport and went and collected it about a week later, but I haven't heard anything about my ID (for about 3/4 weeks) and the bank branch is closing tomorrow until end of November.
Does anyone know how long an ID takes to process?
Likely much longer than the passport especially because of elections. Everyone and their dog are applying for their IDs

Tman543

What was the number for the branch?
Was this for passport or ID?
I'm to get a booking for a passport but get the message that there is no slots available for a few weeks now.

Received a number for the branch but it was just a general home affairs number that was out of service.

It also took about a week for my payment to clear, it was just in pending status but does say completed successfully now.
Did my ID through this system and it was much smoother, but this was pre-pandemic.
I phoned the FNB contact center (087 575 9404), they transferred me to reception at the branch.

Groggyme

I've been trying to renew my daughter's passport from abroad since the beginning of 2019 when she was 15 years old. It expired in June of 2019. They took so long, about 8 months without any news from them that she eventually turned 16. When the embassy did eventually get hold of DHA they said we need to redo the application because now she needed fingerprints. We re-submitted the application in November of 2019 and the DHA went completely silent despite repeated attempts by the embassy to contact them. I even got a trip to SA earlier this year and went into their office in Centurion. They looked on the computer and said they could not see any application, and gave me an email address. I came back to where I live in West Africa and passed the email address to the embassy. The embassy eventually got hold of the DHA and they said that now she has to apply for an ID card first. She has just turned 18, so at least she doesn't need my and her mother's signatures. Lucky she has dual nationality (since birth) as she has moved to Canada for university, but it is on her other passport. Her USA visa is in the SA passport however, so she can't go to the USA unless she gets a new passport, or applies for a new USA visa with her other passport. She can't come to SA with her other passport so she can't visit her grandfather and he is very old. I don't think there is any other country that has as much apathy and incompetence as SA wrt issuing passports.
You need to find someone inside HA. I was told straight by the guy who served me at Standard Bank for my passport. He said nothing gets done in HA without knowing someone. If you are still having issues I would suggest contacting HA by looking up people on LinkedIn who seem to be in the right department (In Pretoria and either director or deputy in your case). Use the firstname.lastname at dha.gov.za format and send them a mail (don't use gmail as the mail never seems to go through). I think thats the only way you will come right.

Dslartibarfast

Nine easy steps to get your passport if you have the error saying "You have existing passport application open on the old system"

Time taken: 4 Months and counting...

1) Go to the HA branch and stand in one of 500 lines in the sun for the whole day from 7:30 to 15:00 then get told to come back the next day. Get told you will have priority the next day. Come back next day and act surprised because you do actually get priority. Get pushed into one of 500 lines outside the branch. Wait from 8:00 till 12:00 in line in the sun. Act surprised again as your line is prioritised. Once inside the building get a ticket. Get told to wait again. Get told that the branch can't help you. Then get told that they have to send an email to Pretoria to the passports department to clear the error as they cannot do it at the branch. Promise they will call you. Never get called.

2) Go home and email the CSC or HA Info email address from your gmail address. Do this for everyday for two weeks and get no response for two weeks.

3) Concurrently while emailing CSC and HA Info, call the CSC and spend 45min to 1 hour on hold then get your line dropped. When you do get through get told that this issue has to go to Pretoria to get sorted as they can't do it from there.

4) Go onto LinkedIn and find a director or deputy director of HA for the province you are in. Then using the FirstName.LastName at dha.gov.za email format, email every one you can find from your gmail address.

5) Realise that after two weeks of emailing the same people everyday that gmail does not seem to work with DHA. Send an email from a random .co.za account or your work account. Get a response from one of the directors 5mins later saying that the error has been cleared and to apply again online.

6) Spend 15mins from filling in the forms online, paying and confirming the appointment for two days away at a bank branch.

7) Go to the bank two days later and spend less than 5 mins (from entering the parking lot to leaving the parking lot) getting a photo taken, confirming fingerprints and signing.

8) Get told that it will take about 7 to 14 days to arrive back at the bank. (Process pending).

9) Go to bank and collect said passport (Process pending).

Nine easy steps....

EDIT: Realise that you tried all the solutions in this thread before going to HA and you need to add one more step to the process.....
Are you able to share at all who you contacted? I have been having the same issue and my Gmail address has not been answered was thinking to try work address.

46Female

Expert Member
what kind of FNB bank account do you need to have? to get the home affairs passport and smart ID?

Sayf777

Expert Member
I see document printing in progress, from those who went through the process recently how long after this point was your passport ready for collection?

R13...

Honorary Master
I see document printing in progress, from those who went through the process recently how long after this point was your passport ready for collection?
Passport was ready for collection in about a week and id in two weeks.

epah

Expert Member

Groggyme

Look on the internet and you will find 100 different lists and all of them have something wrong.

I just got my passport today. 1 and a half weeks after my application online and four months after trying to solve my error.

Dslartibarfast

So I managed to get home affairs to cancel my old passport so I have done my application online but no bookings at all at the banks? I looked at Gauteng as well and nothing. Anyone in KZN got a recommendation for a quick Home Affairs office that I can go to?

epah

Expert Member
i was at the glen yesterday and it was a sh*t show. my goodness.

shadow_man

Executive Member
I just got an online booking (after trying for the better part of a year)

The trick is to:
1.) Set date to yesterday --> Nov 2022 (via the text box, not the clicky calendar)
2.) This allows you to search further than the single week in advance that the clicky calendar allows you to
3.) Thus I could get a date for 4 weeks in the future

Dates currently available for CPT (FNB Portside) from Nov 29th to +- 5 days after

Voodoo

I just got an online booking (after trying for the better part of a year)

The trick is to:
1.) Set date to yesterday --> Nov 2022 (via the text box, not the clicky calendar)
2.) This allows you to search further than the single week in advance that the clicky calendar allows you to
3.) Thus I could get a date for 4 weeks in the future

Dates currently available for CPT (FNB Portside) from Nov 29th to +- 5 days after
Which date do you set to yesterday, the start or end date?

Arex

Finally managed to make my booking with FNB Cornubia for my passport, heres how it went:

Created an account with Ehomeaffairs, didnt take too long, the issue starts after that. I would get either one of two issues when using their website. I would either not receive the OTP, or the application form would not load properly. For the OTP problem I could only wait, sometimes keeping my tab open for several hours only to find out the SMS comes to me the next day. For the form not loading issue I tried several browsers including Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Internet Explorer, Samsung Browser, all had the same issue until I just settled on chrome and it started working again (maybe they fixed it?), i just kept trying over several days and different times until it worked on Chrome.

It took a few days to a few weeks to finally get my form submitted through the website, then came another problem, booking with a bank. I paid with FNB which previous posts have explained how to do and it was very easy, just go on the app and approve it, but when choosing a branch, I only had one option in KZN and it was FNB Cornubia, I tried several times using the methods other people have used on this thread and it all failed. I manually set the date from 2021 till 2025 and it would still show no bookings available. Only today it finally gave me a free date. I first set the date as given in the parameters, I believe it was 2021-11-12 to 2021-11-25 or around this time, It didnt work. I then manually set it from 2021-11-26 to 2021-12-20 and it actually gave me a slot. Good luck to anyone applying, and hopefully I'm past the hardest steps.

Nimz

Executive Member
Finally managed to make my booking with FNB Cornubia for my passport, heres how it went:

Created an account with Ehomeaffairs, didnt take too long, the issue starts after that. I would get either one of two issues when using their website. I would either not receive the OTP, or the application form would not load properly. For the OTP problem I could only wait, sometimes keeping my tab open for several hours only to find out the SMS comes to me the next day. For the form not loading issue I tried several browsers including Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Internet Explorer, Samsung Browser, all had the same issue until I just settled on chrome and it started working again (maybe they fixed it?), i just kept trying over several days and different times until it worked on Chrome.

It took a few days to a few weeks to finally get my form submitted through the website, then came another problem, booking with a bank. I paid with FNB which previous posts have explained how to do and it was very easy, just go on the app and approve it, but when choosing a branch, I only had one option in KZN and it was FNB Cornubia, I tried several times using the methods other people have used on this thread and it all failed. I manually set the date from 2021 till 2025 and it would still show no bookings available. Only today it finally gave me a free date. I first set the date as given in the parameters, I believe it was 2021-11-12 to 2021-11-25 or around this time, It didnt work. I then manually set it from 2021-11-26 to 2021-12-20 and it actually gave me a slot. Good luck to anyone applying, and hopefully I'm past the hardest steps.
Thanks for this

Finally managed to get a booking after trying for the last 2 months!