Electric car sales picking up speed in South Africa

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Electric car sales boom in South Africa — despite worst load-shedding yet

South African motorists have bought about as many fully-electric vehicles (EVs) in the first half of 2023 as they did during the entire 2022, despite scepticism over the ability to charge the cars amid intense load-shedding.

That is according to data from the National Association of Automobile Manufacturers of South Africa (Naamsa) and data analysis firm Lightstone Auto, as reported by Electric Drive Africa writer Joey K.

What's the scale of the graph? 1:1?

If its 1:1, BMW sold 250 EVs in 6 months. That seems kind of bad?

These are going to private individuals, but most EVs that I have seen have been for company fleets. This is for companies that already have solar for charging them.

An ever larger number of EV sales would be attributable to what are officially classified as motorcycles. These are three wheel utility runabouts used in production facilities and on farms, e.g. https://eleksa.co.za/online/product/impi/

Even if you have 2h load shedding during an 8h charging period over night the remaining 6h should still be enough for 95% of commuters. Problem is the massive loads of those chargers on the grid if they become more common.
Ideal would be day time charging from solar, but from my quick estimate you would need about 3-4 times the footprint of the car in PV panel area to give a meaningful charge.

The people that can afford electric cars can afford solar systems to charge them, its very unlikely loadshedding has much to do with that.
As an aside, some electric vehicles can backfeed and be used as a battery which would greatly offset some costs in putting a inverter/battery system together. Im not sure if any of the cars available in SA can do that but it would be a very cool feature.

What's the scale of the graph? 1:1?

If its 1:1, BMW sold 250 EVs in 6 months. That seems kind of bad?
The point being it BEV sales are picking up pace. I'm pretty sure HEV and PHEV sales are much larger than these.

The people that can afford electric cars can afford solar systems to charge them, its very unlikely loadshedding has much to do with that.
As an aside, some electric vehicles can backfeed and be used as a battery which would greatly offset some costs in putting a inverter/battery system together. Im not sure if any of the cars available in SA can do that but it would be a very cool feature.
You would have to go the municipal office and stand in long queues first to buy your R12000 smart meter, then get a city engineer to approve your install, then only get 80c per kWh with a 3kW limit.

And so it begins... Small numbers still but you have to start somewhere.

I'be been saying for years that 2025 is the year Saffers mostly stop buying I.C.E. cars. Still feeling good about that guess.

Mini cooper ev is a waste of ZAR, I'm interested in the Volvo EX30 but still have lots of tyre tread on my honda. Cannot sell it yet

wait until the SA taxi fleet gets electrified, then it will get interesting.
Silent but deadly.

I'be been saying for years that 2025 is the year Saffers mostly stop buying I.C.E. cars. Still feeling good about that guess.
Not going to happen. The average saffer can't afford to own a vehicle and those that can are buying under the R400K mark.
EVs are for rich people.
2025 is less than a year and a half away.

I saw a Mini Cooper Lectric today actually, black, in Century City side. Will not say exactly where.

Not the BMW showroom before you ask.

What are you high on? It's surely not legal, right?

Very skewed reporting.

They deliberately avoid mentioning what % of total sales the EV's make up.

EVs make up less than 1% of sales.

Also, since most new vehicle sales are in the sub R600k category and No EV sells for below R600k, mathematically, in SA, EVs will never exceed 20% unless they become significantly cheaper or there are other findamental changes.

Very skewed reporting.

They deliberately avoid mentioning what % of total sales the EV's make up.

EVs make up less than 1% of sales.

Also, since most new vehicle sales are in the sub R600k category and No EV sells for below R600k, mathematically, in SA, EVs will never exceed 20% unless they become significantly cheaper or there are other findamental changes.
Did they, or did they not, sell as many EVs on the first half of this year as the whole of last year?

Back