Electric Jaguar SUV drives from Johannesburg to Durban

supersunbird

Honorary Master
“The Jaguar I-PACE’s battery was replenished to 100% capacity at the Jaguar Powerway fast charger in just enough time for its driver to enjoy breakfast and a rest,” said Jaguar. How long did the
Wonder what that is put in actual number of minutes...

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
This is really cool - SA is catching up with the rest of the world in terms of electric car infrastructure. The question is, how does the pricing of electric cars stack up against similar petrol/diesel vehicles. The SA Gov also gives no incentives for electric cars.

Maybe Eskom should think seriously about incentives for electric cars to grow demand and sales?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
This is really cool - SA is catching up with the rest of the world in terms of electric car infrastructure. The question is, how does the pricing of electric cars stack up against similar petrol/diesel vehicles. The SA Gov also gives no incentives for electric cars.

Maybe Eskom should think seriously about incentives for electric cars to grow demand and sales?
That would mean increasing their ability to supply for that demand, can they even?

qscwbt

Expert Member
No imagine December holiday. You get to the Shell you want to fill up with petrol or diesel. There is a cue and you have to wait to get a turn at the pump. Lets say 3 cars you maybe wait 10 minutes.

Now same scenario but you waiting for a electric charge point and there is 1 car on the charger and 2 cars in front of you. That's a 4.5 hour wait and then you charge your car. So 6 hours later you finished at the garage lol.

furpile

Expert Member
That is awesome, but they are leaving out some details. How long is brought one for a breakfast and a rest? 30 minutes, an hour, 2 hours? Probably longer than most people would like to stop for if they don't mention it. Probably 2 hours if the charging station is only 60kW.

Cost of recharge was a quarter of the fuel cost, but you have to recharge twice on way. I wonder If a similar diesel suv could go further that one way on a tank? Not too hard to get more than 600km on a tank. Probably won't do the return trip on one tank though, so electric is still a bit cheaper then.

Colin62

Executive Member
Well it's a 90kWh battery, so 60kW charger would take roughly 1.5 hours.
I wonder if it’s 60kW per connection or 60kW total? On a busy day at Bergview you will queue for a petrol pump and there are probably fifteen of them available, so I can imagine how slow it’s going to be if you still have to queue for your turn on the charger.

60kW is over 250A at 220V. Not Mickey Mouse numbers.

Colin62

Executive Member
I wonder If a similar diesel suv could go further that one way on a tank?
I used to get 1000km a tank in my C220cdi Merc. If driving carefully (as I’m pretty certain they did on this trip), you could get more.

rietrot

Honorary Master
No imagine December holiday. You get to the Shell you want to fill up with petrol or diesel. There is a cue and you have to wait to get a turn at the pump. Lets say 3 cars you maybe wait 10 minutes.

Now same scenario but you waiting for a electric charge point and there is 1 car on the charger and 2 cars in front of you. That's a 4.5 hour wait and then you charge your car. So 6 hours later you finished at the garage lol.
You'll have to plan to stay the night at the recharge station.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict

And imagine the amount of electricity the service would need to provide. They would have to have some sort of mini substation if they build like 10 points..

bwana

MyBroadband
Funny how you can charge your own car but you can't pump your own gas.

eg2505

Honorary Master
infrastructure is non-existent, unless they get into a partnership with one of the petrol companies to base chargers at,

very limited use for this technology.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

If it’s anything like Tesla you can check remotely if plug points are available.

Usually there are also a lot more of them than conventional pumps and from everything I’ve watched I’ve never actually a queue.

Sure in time with popularity it might become a problem but then most people will also charge at home and the on the road plug point is just a by the way while you go do something else.

It definitely beats going to the garage every week and relying on petrol attendants....

Using an electric car for long distance trips though is kind of missing the point. And if you do want to do that instead of taking a plane (as anyone would go can afford these cars) you would simply alter the manner in which you go about things.

You can’t apply “petrol logic” to an electric vehicle. Then you already failed.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
infrastructure is non-existent, unless they get into a partnership with one of the petrol companies to base chargers at,

very limited use for this technology.
Erm...they’ve installed a massive charge grid across the entire country.

Partnership is already there, infrastructure is already done.

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
Erm...they’ve installed a massive charge grid across the entire country.

Partnership is already there, infrastructure is already done.

Wow. 82 charging stations across the country - and one in Windhoek. And we can assume that's one charging point per station. You really need to look up the term 'Massive'.

eg2505

Honorary Master
why does tesla not bring cars locally?

or we see more Nissan leafs and other electric cars.

in the future Im sure the infrastructure will be better, but at this point in time, I think its a bad idea to drive a electric car long distance.