Electric Pressure Cooker Recipes

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
I do a leg of lamb every now and then in my pressure cooker.
Perfection.
But I like what my Weber does to it more.

ISP cash cow

Expert Member
When they say "let the pressure cooker release naturally", does that mean you must not open the steam valve thingy and let the steam out? How do you know once it has "released naturally?
once the heat and pressure switches off automatically the pressure cooker slowly "leaks" pressure and so if you don't turn the valve to release the pressure it will slowly lose the pressure after about 10 minutes.

I usually do rice in my pressure cooker.

White rice = 3 minutes at high pressure and allow to release pressure naturally for 7 minutes. rice comes out great in it.
also great for stews.

I don't use my pressure cooker that often anymore but it is very useful device.

Jonny_9

I have been using a pressure cooker a hell of a lot over the past 4 years or so (since my wife introduced me to it). I just have a stove-top one. It is crazy fast. Squashes, carrots, rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes. 10-15 min. Then i release pressure, open lid and dress them up and chuck em under a grill for some maillard reactions.

Chicken takes about 15min. Then i also chuck it in the oven to brown a bit or put it on the braai if I wanna braai a whole chicken with time constraints- it comes out beautifully.
Ox tail. Curries. Brilliant.
I have done eisbeins in there too. About 20min. And when it is done. I swop the water for oil to deep fry them quickly knowing that it is already pretty much cooked through. (Lid off or lid seal removed for the deep frying of course)

I really love this thing as it speeds up the cooking so much. Keeps stuff moist. Reduces electricity costs (less time on stove and less time in oven.)

Just keep in mind that u can overcook stuff. Chicken will eventually break up and you can't even lift it out of the pot. If u make oven roast potatoes and pressure cook them first, if u let them get too soft then they will break apart whilst trying to handle them to get them to oven. I reckon that the timing takes practice with each specific unit.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
OK....I have had a little taste of a little piece of beef with the sauce......and OMG this is good. Only thing I would say is perhaps a little less salt. I am a person that likes salt though so for me it is good.

Now, I promise .... it looks nicer in real life. I am not food photographers like the guys in the "whats for dinner thread". I am going to have this over some of the Green Goddess Pasta I made two nights ago. Letting it stand a bit to cool down. But wow .... I have to say .... this is much better than I remember Beef Stroganoff as a child ....and even then I already loved it. :)

Beef Stroganoff.jpg

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Oh...cooked it for the time in his video....but I gave it a try after first release and it was a tad bit chewy to my taste....so put the lid back in and pressure cooked for a further 5 minutes. I used goulash cubes...not the same as the meat used in his video....so perhaps that is why

Polymathic

Honorary Master
I started a curry last night in my slow cooker so tonight it will be ready.
But damnit i wanted it last night so also keen to get an electric pressure cooker.

I remember in the 80s the pressure cooker meals were the best, juicy food :)

Subscribing to this thread for ideas. By the way which model did you buy?
Good god man. How much does your power Bill come to?

Chuckmyster

Expert Member
No... just no!!!

There was a thread about Russel Hobbs the other days.

Get a reliable brand like Philips.
oh phuck you're right and i was stumped as my Russel Hobbs toys are all still working.
Apparently the new stuff doesn't last long.
I remember there was also a Samsung discussion as well a week or 2 ago and all my Samsung stuff that is 10yrs old is still working everyday in perfect condition :thumbsup:

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
oh phuck you're right and i was stumped as my Russel Hobbs toys are all still working.
Apparently the new stuff doesn't last long.
I remember there was also a Samsung discussion as well a week or 2 ago and all my Samsung stuff that is 10yrs old is still working everyday in perfect condition :thumbsup:
That was in the microwave thread that I posted in again today.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
@Ockie What you think of this pressure cooker at the price? R629.40. Worth it? Your recipes are killing me here :ROFL::laugh::ROFL::laugh:
View attachment 612658
That looks pretty good. Russell Hobbs a well known brand....but I read somewhere on mybb a few days ago that their quality has gone down the drain? Not sure .... I have a RH mist fan for going second year and still going strong. Remote was even chewed a year ago by doggie and it still works. :)

SmuGS

At that price I would take a stab at it, you will at least have a years guarantee.. If it packs up after that just toss it and get something else..